Bullnose Forums

Rolling Idle

The "how it works" wasn't for your benefit. :nabble_smiley_wink:

While we are discussing carburetors, one of the best 4 barrels on a moderate size engine, is the Rochester Quadrajet. I say moderate size due to the small primary barrels, they only flow about 260 cfm meaning on a large engine, you are into the secondaries at moderate speeds.

This is why the older GM powered motorhomes are gas hogs. A friend tried disconnecting the secondary linkage and found that on level ground with no head wind, roughly 45 mph was all he could get. This is why a 454 powered motorhome makes a 460 Ford look like an economy engine.

If you have one on a lighter vehicle with a smaller engine where you can cruise on the primaries only, the Q-jet will give excellent fuel economy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are discussing carburetors, one of the best 4 barrels on a moderate size engine, is the Rochester Quadrajet. I say moderate size due to the small primary barrels, they only flow about 260 cfm meaning on a large engine, you are into the secondaries at moderate speeds.

This is why the older GM powered motorhomes are gas hogs. A friend tried disconnecting the secondary linkage and found that on level ground with no head wind, roughly 45 mph was all he could get. This is why a 454 powered motorhome makes a 460 Ford look like an economy engine.

If you have one on a lighter vehicle with a smaller engine where you can cruise on the primaries only, the Q-jet will give excellent fuel economy.

But you need a spread bore 351W manifold for that!

I'm not sure what your options are today, as far as finding one of those.

But you need a spread bore 351W manifold for that!

I'm not sure what your options are today, as far as finding one of those.

It is possible to run a Q-Jet on a square bore intake. I did it back in the 70's on my '72 F250 Camper Special w/a 390. I used a spread-bore to square-bore adapter and hogged out the intake to match it. There are some adapters still made for that today.

I do like the Q-Jet. I have one sectioned so I can see the passages, which came in handy when my nephew called and couldn't get one to idle correctly on a big engine. Many of them, including that one, had restrictions in the idle passages so you couldn't make the idle mix too rich. But when you put a carb from a small engine on a big engine those restrictions have to be drilled out.

The one on my 390 worked out very well.

Most aftermarket manifolds are multiple carburetor pattern ones.

My Performer, I had to hog it out just to fit the 650 AVS. 🤷‍♂️

I know that Transdapt makes a 460 spread bore adapter, but that's another $60 I don't want to spend.

Holley's have a built in power valve check ball since 1991.

Post the build date from the front of the air horn on the driver's side.

Does it smoke like a chimney and want to stall at idle? Does it clear it's throat as you get on it? Does it burble and pop on trailing throttle???

They are good reliable carbs that are easy to tune if you know how. (Certainly FAR easier than an SU or something)

My 0-08457-S worked fine, but I never overtightened the screws and always used the proper (blue) Teflon gaskets.

I gave it to George Maroudas, down there in Louisiana, and he hasn't reported their Ranchero has any problems...

If you crank the bolts you'll warp covers, bowls, base flange, and even the body.

Bill will tell you. He ran a carburetor shop (Preston) for quite some time!

I (think) I still have a 650 AVS sitting on the shelf in a barn, all wrapped up w/ a new accelerator pump installed.

Gary can argue, but I think the air valve secondary is a better carb than the aluminum four barrel.

650 might be a bit much for a Windsor, depending on what you have in it. :nabble_anim_confused:

"clear it's throat as you get on it" but after few moments will go back to the rolling idle then die. I thought I had the air fuel mix correct with a vac gauge. I started out with 1 1/2 turns went from 15 psi to 17 psi and that was it (is that normal?). The passenger side screw screwed out more than the driver side. I think this is the number you were looking for 80457-8 and under that 0602 Oh I forgot to mention plugging the 1/8" port causes to increase RPM. And thank you all I'm learning a lot here already.

"clear it's throat as you get on it" but after few moments will go back to the rolling idle then die. I thought I had the air fuel mix correct with a vac gauge. I started out with 1 1/2 turns went from 15 psi to 17 psi and that was it (is that normal?). The passenger side screw screwed out more than the driver side. I think this is the number you were looking for 80457-8 and under that 0602 Oh I forgot to mention plugging the 1/8" port causes to increase RPM. And thank you all I'm learning a lot here already.

So it was made in June of 2002.

These have a check ball.

22 year old rubber diaphragm could easily be bad, though.

If you start it and look down the primary (front) bores, do you see it dribbling fuel out of the boosters?

So it was made in June of 2002.

These have a check ball.

22 year old rubber diaphragm could easily be bad, though.

If you start it and look down the primary (front) bores, do you see it dribbling fuel out of the boosters?

What kind of heads do you have on this truck?

What kind of heads do you have on this truck?

the dribble is for sure the accelertor pump I'll look down the boar and see. I have no idea about the heads I bought them refurbed and the sent them to a pro for a eval and installed.

the dribble is for sure the accelertor pump I'll look down the boar and see. I have no idea about the heads I bought them refurbed and the sent them to a pro for a eval and installed.

Well, you've got to fix the acc pump weight before you can diagnose anything else!

I didn't know that they were stock rebuilt heads.

We all have a variety of configurations from home porting, pro porting, aluminum performance heads to professionally ported Trick Flow heads like Gary's Dad's truck.

I just want to be clear on what I'm dealing with.

Sometimes, you can have all the best parts, but slapped together by Florida Man, like poor Vern.

So much money and good parts destroyed by imbicles. :nabble_money-flying-23_orig::nabble_money-flying-23_orig: