Bullnose Forums

Memorial Day

Veteran's day, or as we Marines refer to it, sobering up day. It was originally called Armistice day, based on the cease fire in WWI to be the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month....

My understanding is that Armistice Day was renamed Veteran's Day after the end of WWII to honor people more inclusively.

I don't know how Memorial Day is to differ from Veterans Day. But if they do overlap a bit, it's not like two days of honoring those who served and possibly died for our country is an excess.

Thank you all.

Veteran's day, or as we Marines refer to it, sobering up day. It was originally called Armistice day, based on the cease fire in WWI to be the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month....

My understanding is that Armistice Day was renamed Veteran's Day after the end of WWII to honor people more inclusively.

I don't know how Memorial Day is to differ from Veterans Day. But if they do overlap a bit, it's not like two days of honoring those who served and possibly died for our country is an excess.

Thank you all.

The difference is "Hey, thanks for your service" and "Here, let me put a poppy on this person's grave. They died fighting for our country"

Thanks Jim for reminding us. This is a very important moment.

«Cultural» question:

Here in Canada (and I think in all Commonwealth countries) we have the Remembrance Day, each November 11th. I think this is similar to USA Memorial Day, which is to honor those who served in the military and have passed on while serving.

Am I correct?

Also, USA Veterans Day is observed to honor all military veterans who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces and are still alive.

Correct?

If so, it occurs that Commonwealth “Memorial” Day (called Remembrance Day) happens the same date than USA Veterans Day… One of the allies celebrating the living veterans and the other remembering those who passed away.

Curious… :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Memorial day is new. It was always called Decoration day before ww1