Bullnose Forums

Memorial Day

This is Memorial Day weekend, here in the USA.

Please remember and honor those who paid the ultimate price for the freedom that you enjoy today. 🇺🇲

(Thank a Veteran in the FALL..) :nabble_smiley_cool:

Thanks Jim for reminding us. This is a very important moment.

«Cultural» question:

Here in Canada (and I think in all Commonwealth countries) we have the Remembrance Day, each November 11th. I think this is similar to USA Memorial Day, which is to honor those who served in the military and have passed on while serving.

Am I correct?

Also, USA Veterans Day is observed to honor all military veterans who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces and are still alive.

Correct?

If so, it occurs that Commonwealth “Memorial” Day (called Remembrance Day) happens the same date than USA Veterans Day… One of the allies celebrating the living veterans and the other remembering those who passed away.

Curious… :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Jim for reminding us. This is a very important moment.

«Cultural» question:

Here in Canada (and I think in all Commonwealth countries) we have the Remembrance Day, each November 11th. I think this is similar to USA Memorial Day, which is to honor those who served in the military and have passed on while serving.

Am I correct?

Also, USA Veterans Day is observed to honor all military veterans who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces and are still alive.

Correct?

If so, it occurs that Commonwealth “Memorial” Day (called Remembrance Day) happens the same date than USA Veterans Day… One of the allies celebrating the living veterans and the other remembering those who passed away.

Curious… :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct wrt Memorial Day.

I often see people thanking Veterans, and while I'm all for that, they already have their day.

I honestly don't know what determines Veterans Day.

My maternal family was captured by the Japanese in Manila and held for over 3 years, until McArthur returned to liberate Santo Tomas in late February of '45.

(Incidentally, my grandmother's 23rd birthday was the day of Pearl Harbor)

I'm humbled by the sacrifice that has me in this planet.

Hundreds, if not thousands of servicemen gave their lives so that my family could be free.

I often see people thanking Veterans, and while I'm all for that, they already have their day.

My maternal family was captured by the Japanese in Manila and held for over 3 years, until McArthur returned to liberate Santo Tomas in late February of '45.

Hundreds, if not thousands of servicemen gave their lives so that my family could be free.

That's quite a story, Jim. Yes, hundreds if not thousands. But all of us enjoy freedoms secured by the many that have died to protect those freedoms. We all owe a debt to them.

I'm old enough to remember this holiday being called Decoration Day, and if I remember correctly it wasn't until 1971 that it became Memorial Day.

That's quite a story, Jim. Yes, hundreds if not thousands. But all of us enjoy freedoms secured by the many that have died to protect those freedoms. We all owe a debt to them.

I'm old enough to remember this holiday being called Decoration Day, and if I remember correctly it wasn't until 1971 that it became Memorial Day.

I wasn't 10 yet, so I don't remember.

But I remember red poppies on remembrance day.

When my Grandfather passed each of us got a photocopy of his diary from the camp.

It was harrowing indeed!

I wasn't 10 yet, so I don't remember.

But I remember red poppies on remembrance day.

When my Grandfather passed each of us got a photocopy of his diary from the camp.

It was harrowing indeed!

and this is why history is documented and should be taught. and therefor taught correctly! the truth is there for all. like it or not. and why we should live each day gratefully.

Veteran's day, or as we Marines refer to it, sobering up day. It was originally called Armistice day, based on the cease fire in WWI to be the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Family history connections, Great Grandfather, BGEN Albertus W. Catlin USMC, USNA class of 1890, formed the 6th Marines at a new base in Virginia, Quantico. Took his regiment (he was a Col then) to France and they fought at Belleau Wood where Col Catlin was badly wounded by a German sniper.

Grandfather, RADM William C. Vose, USNA class of 1919 fought in WWI, spent time as weapons officer and later OIC at the torpedo station, Newport RI during WWII. Was skipper of the USS Vicksburg, placing her in commission and taking her to Iwo Jima.

Father, Capt. William F. Vose, USNA class of 1942, served on Tin Cans (Destroyers) in WWII first a WWI vintage one that was a Minelayer, USS Gamble DM15, originally DD123 built at Newport News Shipbuilding, after a (probably short) period of leave, returned to the Pacific on a new Fletcher Class, USS Heywood L. Edwards DD663 where he spent the remainder of WWII. He had a 4 year period of Shore duty as Main Battery Officer at Dahlgren VA and was one of the Navy's ranking experts on the 16" Naval Rifle.

Father-in-law, Col Max D. Smith Sr. started in Ohio National Guard pre WWI, went to France with either the 5th or 6th Marines. Seved from 1918 to 1948 and as my older son has found was apparently part of the WWII Marine Raiders, just by some of the places he was on.

Uncle. Capt. Robert A. Thompson, ROTC commision was on one of the ships at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 1941. He and my father shared a common birthday. He was married to one of dad's sisters.

All of these men are buried at Arlington, so yes, Veteran's Day and Memorial Day have special meaning to me, as I also spent 14 years as a Marine Reserevist, RIFED as an E6 (SSGT) post Vietnam. I also have Gen Catlin's USNA Sword.

Veteran's day, or as we Marines refer to it, sobering up day. It was originally called Armistice day, based on the cease fire in WWI to be the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Family history connections, Great Grandfather, BGEN Albertus W. Catlin USMC, USNA class of 1890, formed the 6th Marines at a new base in Virginia, Quantico. Took his regiment (he was a Col then) to France and they fought at Belleau Wood where Col Catlin was badly wounded by a German sniper.

Grandfather, RADM William C. Vose, USNA class of 1919 fought in WWI, spent time as weapons officer and later OIC at the torpedo station, Newport RI during WWII. Was skipper of the USS Vicksburg, placing her in commission and taking her to Iwo Jima.

Father, Capt. William F. Vose, USNA class of 1942, served on Tin Cans (Destroyers) in WWII first a WWI vintage one that was a Minelayer, USS Gamble DM15, originally DD123 built at Newport News Shipbuilding, after a (probably short) period of leave, returned to the Pacific on a new Fletcher Class, USS Heywood L. Edwards DD663 where he spent the remainder of WWII. He had a 4 year period of Shore duty as Main Battery Officer at Dahlgren VA and was one of the Navy's ranking experts on the 16" Naval Rifle.

Father-in-law, Col Max D. Smith Sr. started in Ohio National Guard pre WWI, went to France with either the 5th or 6th Marines. Seved from 1918 to 1948 and as my older son has found was apparently part of the WWII Marine Raiders, just by some of the places he was on.

Uncle. Capt. Robert A. Thompson, ROTC commision was on one of the ships at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 1941. He and my father shared a common birthday. He was married to one of dad's sisters.

All of these men are buried at Arlington, so yes, Veteran's Day and Memorial Day have special meaning to me, as I also spent 14 years as a Marine Reserevist, RIFED as an E6 (SSGT) post Vietnam. I also have Gen Catlin's USNA Sword.

Bill - Thanks to you and your family for your service! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Wow Bill, I am really impressed about your family service.

My grandpa was born in 1894. He served during WWI as a sapper, and WWII as an ambulance driver.

He survived the two wars, but was deeply hurt about what he lived there.

When he died, my father was only 10.

So I never met him.

But I have two nice pictures of him at WWI, one with his regiment’s mascot.

I consider I’m lucky to have such souvenirs.

These pictures have 110 years.

This guy had 20. The age of my youngest son…

So much young men, kids should I say, went there to fight for our freedom.

Clophas-Retouche-Font_1914-1918.thumb.jpeg.413d48c24bc778afac7b90b1a1f3c407.jpeg

Clophas_restaure-GB-1914_(20_ans).thumb.jpeg.cf0f86f5bbf7fd94e4a97446dbbfc2d8.jpeg

Wow Bill, I am really impressed about your family service.

My grandpa was born in 1894. He served during WWI as a sapper, and WWII as an ambulance driver.

He survived the two wars, but was deeply hurt about what he lived there.

When he died, my father was only 10.

So I never met him.

But I have two nice pictures of him at WWI, one with his regiment’s mascot.

I consider I’m lucky to have such souvenirs.

These pictures have 110 years.

This guy had 20. The age of my youngest son…

So much young men, kids should I say, went there to fight for our freedom.

Jeff, many of them really were kids, a number lied about their age in order to serve.