Bullnose Forums

Rear brake line connection

Hey all,

Long story short, I have recently replaced the two rearmost crossmembers. In so doing I disconnected the rear (rubber) brake line with the intention of replacing it. When I removed the old brake line it was badly rusted where it was attached at the old crossmember, and I was not very careful dealing in dealing with it.

Now, I can't seem to figure out how the new brake line attaches at the crossmember. Having looked through the shop manual diagrams, I can see that it is supposed to pass through the crossmember somehow and is secured with a clip. Problem is, I can't see how any of this works with the cross member I installed. Probably the cross member is not exactly correct for my truck even though it fits. Also, I have more than one clip and I'm not sure which is correct. Any advice or pictures would be great, Thanks!

P.S.

Sorry my pictures are turned on their sides. Top one is of the crossmember with the hard portion of the brake line showing near the hole where I suppose the fitting on the rubber line is supposed to pass through...

Cross_member.jpg.4fa7a44f38466bebbdc9f12bddb0bc7d.jpg

Brake_line.jpg.b76373703dacc4ee7ea637646572acc1.jpg

Clips.jpg.f683cca3137afddd7a19fe0c5963013f.jpg

The odd shape at the end of the rubber line ensures that it can only go through in one orientation.

This means that the splitter where the vent bolt passes through is always pointed in the right direction.

On Ford's the left, drivers, side has an odd thread pitch and when you replace the brake lines you either need to reuse that nut or find a special adapter.

So, the odd shape passes through, and then the clip holds it tight to the cross member when you fit it in the groove that runs around the steel fitting.

Sorry, I don't have any pics and I can't walk right now.

The odd shape at the end of the rubber line ensures that it can only go through in one orientation.

This means that the splitter where the vent bolt passes through is always pointed in the right direction.

On Ford's the left, drivers, side has an odd thread pitch and when you replace the brake lines you either need to reuse that nut or find a special adapter.

So, the odd shape passes through, and then the clip holds it tight to the cross member when you fit it in the groove that runs around the steel fitting.

Sorry, I don't have any pics and I can't walk right now.

basically, what jim said. but you replaced the cross member. is it from the same year/model? and did you put in exactly the same as the one that you took out? it should only line up in one position yet many people have been known to drill new holes. the brake line fitting hole will look like a 11/16-3/4 hex but with one point rounded off. this hole in the cross member should be about four-six inches from the driver side frame rail. practically in line above the tee block /vent on the axle housing. Maybe back up and get a better picture of the assembly showing perspective

I can't help you with the orientation as mine has the load sensing valve and the lines are different.

Thanks for the helpful replies guys.

Looks like the problem is the cross member. I cut it from an old frame I have lying in the bush. Looks like it was either an F150 or a maybe a Bronco. The cross members fit just right, but the hex-shaped hole appears to be missing.

I guess I'll drill the existing hole out until the hex fitting will pass through then add the clip. Anyone think this approach will be problematic?

aee5f39a-eeb7-41fb-b708-c5f78c83a22e.jpg.47b906bdeab056a2006359dc5f49ecb9.jpg

fce94388-b150-4752-802b-17762e9650cb.jpg.f33a2bb2e1c6b62530a6d52cdb02c409.jpg

Thanks for the helpful replies guys.

Looks like the problem is the cross member. I cut it from an old frame I have lying in the bush. Looks like it was either an F150 or a maybe a Bronco. The cross members fit just right, but the hex-shaped hole appears to be missing.

I guess I'll drill the existing hole out until the hex fitting will pass through then add the clip. Anyone think this approach will be problematic?

I can't imagine any problem.

150, 250... Should be the same.

350's with the load sensing valve are plumbed like Bill said.

I can't imagine any problem.

150, 250... Should be the same.

350's with the load sensing valve are plumbed like Bill said.

You already have your answer, but here is a picture as well from my 85 F150....not sure if it is helpful. Not the best one, but what I had on my phone.

20201011_154446.jpg.8dacbd254537658ad3db424b509150a9.jpg

You already have your answer, but here is a picture as well from my 85 F150....not sure if it is helpful. Not the best one, but what I had on my phone.

That's a good photo!

You can see it peeking behind the vent.

It shows how the metal clip holds the line through the cross member and the metal brake line that runs inside the drivers frame rail turns to meet it. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Much appreciated, thanks!