Bullnose Forums

85 bull

Dawson81

My aod decided to give up the ghost yesterday and I've decided to start the 4 speed swap, the parts truck I bought has a borg Warner t case and an inline 6 the truck is also a short bed I ordered the correct flywheel, clutch and clutch pedal assembly and some new bushings for the clutch pedal as well, if I use the borg t case should my driveshaft mate right up ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My aod decided to give up the ghost yesterday and I've decided to start the 4 speed swap, the parts truck I bought has a borg Warner t case and an inline 6 the truck is also a short bed I ordered the correct flywheel, clutch and clutch pedal assembly and some new bushings for the clutch pedal as well, if I use the borg t case should my driveshaft mate right up ?

Is the TC fixed yoke (1345) or slip yoke (1356)

Id imagine that it's going to need shortening in either case, but I'm not too familiar with the length of an AOD since they were only behind 302's AFAIK.

Be aware that if you're going to have the pedal assembly out there is no better time to pre-emptively add the small firewall reinforcement that prevents the clutch master cylinder from tearing the firewall.

Is the TC fixed yoke (1345) or slip yoke (1356)

Id imagine that it's going to need shortening in either case, but I'm not too familiar with the length of an AOD since they were only behind 302's AFAIK.

Be aware that if you're going to have the pedal assembly out there is no better time to pre-emptively add the small firewall reinforcement that prevents the clutch master cylinder from tearing the firewall.

It is the fixed yoke, and I forgot to mention the driveshaft is in the donor short bed I planned on using it if the geometry is right, I also found that reinforcement plate on bronco graveyard I wish I would've had that on my last 4 speed truck 🤣 that was a long miserable limp home when I got off the highway

It is the fixed yoke, and I forgot to mention the driveshaft is in the donor short bed I planned on using it if the geometry is right, I also found that reinforcement plate on bronco graveyard I wish I would've had that on my last 4 speed truck 🤣 that was a long miserable limp home when I got off the highway

There were 2 plates.

A giant thing that used to be repoped by Terrapin mfg. and a small triangle that had two folded sides that attach through the side of the trans tunnel and the pinch weld above, where the cowl meets the firewall.

This one goes on the inside.

I've seen where people who experienced firewall failure wedged a length of 2x4 or something from the bottom of the MC to the radiator support in order to get home.

A zip tie will hold it to the MC. I don't know what they did at the front.... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

There were 2 plates.

A giant thing that used to be repoped by Terrapin mfg. and a small triangle that had two folded sides that attach through the side of the trans tunnel and the pinch weld above, where the cowl meets the firewall.

This one goes on the inside.

I've seen where people who experienced firewall failure wedged a length of 2x4 or something from the bottom of the MC to the radiator support in order to get home.

A zip tie will hold it to the MC. I don't know what they did at the front.... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

At that age I didn't know any better I just used zip ties after replacing the mc and sc twice and finally realizing that thing shouldn't move that far 🤣 that's when I also learned about the little boot in the reservoir

At that age I didn't know any better I just used zip ties after replacing the mc and sc twice and finally realizing that thing shouldn't move that far 🤣 that's when I also learned about the little boot in the reservoir

I can try to get some dimensions off my prophylactic reinforcement.

It's WAY easier to prevent it from tearing than to install the one "for severe damage"

I think Gary has the TSB with both part numbers posted, but I've got no idea where it is.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone I've been busy for a few minutes, I dig the new format and look forward to seeing how it goes in the future.  I've done a bunch to my rig since I logged on last. I got my manual swap finished up all I have to do is cut the hole in my floor to accommodate my bw1356 shifter. While I was there I went ahead an knocked all my surface rust and factory sound deadening and put down some fresh new sound deadening down. 

I followed the advice and reinforced my firewall where the master cyl mounts and found a nice braided stainless hose for my clutch fluid. More to come soon !