Bullnose Forums

Hydraulic Clutch

Hey guys, I have an 81 F100 4.9L with transmission code B on the door tag, indicating an SROD 4spd, and I have a mechanical clutch. My question is whether I would be able to convert to a hydraulic clutch? I was planning on swapping a ZF 5S-42 in the SROD’s place and I was hoping to do it in stages to spread the cost out. So if I can, I’d like to add a hydraulic clutch and rebuild that SROD myself. I have the pedal assembly and I plan on get the reinforcement panel for the firewall from Bronco Graveyard. Thanks y’all.

not to sound like an old man or a deterrent but is there an urgency to do so? or is it just a want? if it is in need of repairs then I might suggest doing repairs and planning the swap as a whole at the opportune time. in case things do not go as planned and you end up with a down truck.

not to sound like an old man or a deterrent but is there an urgency to do so? or is it just a want? if it is in need of repairs then I might suggest doing repairs and planning the swap as a whole at the opportune time. in case things do not go as planned and you end up with a down truck.

This is really all about me learning. The trucks engine runs but that’s it. I still have every other system to go through and redo. I bought the truck in March for 400 bucks and itd been sitting in a field for around 5 years before I bought it. I do want to get it drivable and to do that the trans will have to be rebuilt. The previous owner said that was part of why he parked it. I figured I could go ahead and do a hydraulic clutch swap while it’s out and have that part done while I source a ZF5 and save for it. A rebuild kit for that trans is only 150 bucks.

This is really all about me learning. The trucks engine runs but that’s it. I still have every other system to go through and redo. I bought the truck in March for 400 bucks and itd been sitting in a field for around 5 years before I bought it. I do want to get it drivable and to do that the trans will have to be rebuilt. The previous owner said that was part of why he parked it. I figured I could go ahead and do a hydraulic clutch swap while it’s out and have that part done while I source a ZF5 and save for it. A rebuild kit for that trans is only 150 bucks.

then that sounds more interesting. so, you have not driven the truck and do not know how the srod drives. and yet you want to learn. rebuild the trans. learn it. get it right and you will be driving your own work. there is nothing like it. this is a great place to get encouragement if not advice and support. as you said, you got it for a reasonable cost. another possible option would be to find another and just replace it might be worthwhile if you can locate one. I know three speeds are fairly available if getting it moving is important.

then that sounds more interesting. so, you have not driven the truck and do not know how the srod drives. and yet you want to learn. rebuild the trans. learn it. get it right and you will be driving your own work. there is nothing like it. this is a great place to get encouragement if not advice and support. as you said, you got it for a reasonable cost. another possible option would be to find another and just replace it might be worthwhile if you can locate one. I know three speeds are fairly available if getting it moving is important.

Getting it moving is certainly important. I think rebuilding the SROD is going to be my plan of action after I take the bed off, run new brake lines, fuel lines, service the rear end with new carrier and pinion bearings, rear wheel bearings, and possibly a rear disc brake upgrade (I have a 5x4.5 lug pattern so I have yet to find any), new fuel tank, sending unit, rust mitigation on the frame, replacing worn suspension components….. yeah I have a lot to do. I bought a money pit for sure, but I should have a nice truck by the end of it all.

Getting it moving is certainly important. I think rebuilding the SROD is going to be my plan of action after I take the bed off, run new brake lines, fuel lines, service the rear end with new carrier and pinion bearings, rear wheel bearings, and possibly a rear disc brake upgrade (I have a 5x4.5 lug pattern so I have yet to find any), new fuel tank, sending unit, rust mitigation on the frame, replacing worn suspension components….. yeah I have a lot to do. I bought a money pit for sure, but I should have a nice truck by the end of it all.

it sounds as if you are planning a frame off restoration. with so much to do, certainly make a thorough list and come up with a plan of attack. "Projects grow" I always say. don't start without the means to complete.

In order to convert your existing transmission to hydraulic clutch you would need a small block hydraulic clutch bellhousing with the mount for the slave cylinder. These are getting a bit tough to find and would utilize an external slave cylinder like the 460 and Diesel ZF’s use. Later, when you sourced a small block ZF-5, it would have an internal slave cylinder which is different, and has a different hydraulic line going to the hydraulic master. So you really won’t be getting as far ahead as you might think by converting your existing transmission to hydraulic clutch. I can appreciate the logic of converting in stages, but in this case I would hold off and not waste money on the parts that won’t cross over to the ZF.

In order to convert your existing transmission to hydraulic clutch you would need a small block hydraulic clutch bellhousing with the mount for the slave cylinder. These are getting a bit tough to find and would utilize an external slave cylinder like the 460 and Diesel ZF’s use. Later, when you sourced a small block ZF-5, it would have an internal slave cylinder which is different, and has a different hydraulic line going to the hydraulic master. So you really won’t be getting as far ahead as you might think by converting your existing transmission to hydraulic clutch. I can appreciate the logic of converting in stages, but in this case I would hold off and not waste money on the parts that won’t cross over to the ZF.

X3, or 4 or whatever...