Bullnose Forums

New gas tank

Hey everyone,

I have a 1985 f150 with 300 I6. It has the 16 gallon mid tank and the 19 gallon rear. When I bought the truck the rear tank didn’t have a gas cap and was never used. So I have just been using the 16 gallon mid tank. Anyway the fuel gauge doesn’t work for either tank and I recently ran it dry pulling rust into the fuel system. As a result I am going to pull the two tanks out and go with one tank.

I am thinking of just going with 1 rear 19 gallon tank so I can easily get the truck going. Was is yalls experience of doing the 33 gallon swap? How hard is the fabricating to do this? Has any one done the 38 gallon swap ? What was that experience like?

Thanks for your insight.

Best regards,

Dallas

I looked at the double sized back tank. It seems it takes up the space where the spare goes. So you won't have a spare but there didn't seem to be a need to fabricate anything. I found it on lmc truck.

You just need to extend the pickup.

The sender doesn't tend to work as well as when it's in a 19 gallon tank, but if you get it right at least the bottom half of the tank reads correctly.

2nd that!

we did this swap on a customer's build a couple years ago. I did not see any benefit from doing this. I have had single tank trucks and double and I like the double. mostly because I can usually go 550-600 miles and when over the road, this is nice. and my spare is where it belongs.

I can certainly see wanting to get away from the reservoir style selector valve used on the three pump efi models , but if carbureted, the single draw through selector valves seem to work very well.