Bullnose Forums

T-170 RTS transmission

Sorry mines not for sale its in my daily driver been using it for over 20 years. When I watched my mileage I was getting close to 24 mpg if I kept my speed down around 80km/h (50m/h) with a carb on a 300 4.9 4x4 and 3.55 rear.

The 2wd version has a different output shaft and there are a couple different gear a ratios but don't remember off hand what the ratio differences are.

Good luck finding one.

Paul

Sorry mines not for sale its in my daily driver been using it for over 20 years. When I watched my mileage I was getting close to 24 mpg if I kept my speed down around 80km/h (50m/h) with a carb on a 300 4.9 4x4 and 3.55 rear.

The 2wd version has a different output shaft and there are a couple different gear a ratios but don't remember off hand what the ratio differences are.

Good luck finding one.

Paul

there are three different od gear ratios. .78 to .71 one in the middle but I won't quote it. I'm assuming by the mpg that you may have the .71. but we all know about assuming. haha if you can read the tag on the trans close to the bell housing the code can tell which ratio you have.

there are three different od gear ratios. .78 to .71 one in the middle but I won't quote it. I'm assuming by the mpg that you may have the .71. but we all know about assuming. haha if you can read the tag on the trans close to the bell housing the code can tell which ratio you have.

Unfortunately up here the salt and environment eat the tags very quickly. But I figure your right about the ratio that's in my transmission. I know from my tach it drops the rpm by about 900 - 1000 rpm when in overdrive.

Found my info on the 3 ratios

'B' ratio = 27.6% overdrive (4th=0.7837) (5.0L 302 V8, also some 4.9L 300 I6)

'C' ratio = 37.9% overdrive (4th=0.7247) (5.8L 351 V8, also some 4.9L 300 I6)

'D' ratio = 41.1% overdrive (4th=0.7087) (4.9L 300 I6)

Paul

I sold the one out of my Bronco a few years back. I was not a fan. Gear ratios were terrible.

I don't know that I would say terrible, but you do notice the most drop going from second to third. third to fourth not so much with the .78od

but it really is a package deal. axle gear, tire size and engine torque range need to be factored in every time.

I'm running an 83 f100with 225/70/15s and a 2.79 gear. pushed by a decent 302. it "should" be fairly good on mpg but I have not found that yet. 14/15 maybe

I don't know that I would say terrible, but you do notice the most drop going from second to third. third to fourth not so much with the .78od

but it really is a package deal. axle gear, tire size and engine torque range need to be factored in every time.

I'm running an 83 f100with 225/70/15s and a 2.79 gear. pushed by a decent 302. it "should" be fairly good on mpg but I have not found that yet. 14/15 maybe

The drop from 2nd to 3rd is enormous. I always hated that gap.

I got really good money when I sold that tranny. I got more for it than I paid for the ZF5 (like double). I heard that they are really popular in some chassis that they use for hot rods. It’s really short and it fits really well in that application. I don’t remember which but that’s partly why they are so hard to find. If you really want one, I think you should look on the rodder forums.

The drop from 2nd to 3rd is enormous. I always hated that gap.

I got really good money when I sold that tranny. I got more for it than I paid for the ZF5 (like double). I heard that they are really popular in some chassis that they use for hot rods. It’s really short and it fits really well in that application. I don’t remember which but that’s partly why they are so hard to find. If you really want one, I think you should look on the rodder forums.

Sold mine to a guy who was doing a street rod of some sort; I also understand they are popular to swap into Model Ts - don't know how, but apparently they work.