Bullnose Forums

Column Shift Bell Crank Assembly Issues

As some might remember, I’m on a LONG and SLOW journey to converting my ‘85 300 w/ NP435 to a rebuilt 4.9L w/ rebuilt 4R70W.

While awaiting possession of the correct cross member (thanks matintn) I started to install the bell crank assembly and have run into a situation where things just don’t look right.

In my stash of parts I have two complete bell crank assemblies;

One I got from a 300 w/ an AOD and the other was from a 302 w/ a C6. Both of the frame brackets and the actual bell crank shafts are identical. Where the issue comes into play is the bracket that attaches to the transmission.

Obviously, I found out that the C6 bracket is simply not going to work and into the scrap pile it goes. The bracket from the AOD was one that I was confident would work. Heck, the cases of an AOD and a 4R70W are almost identical.

So, in it goes!

But hold on!

What doesn’t look right to me is that the shaft of the bell crank is forced by the grommet in the bracket about 3/8” too far to the rear. The bracket on the frame rail is in the correct position but the grommet in the trans bracket seems to be too far back. The shaft should, in my opinion, be almost perpendicular to the frame and trans.

So, I go to the master parts catalog and find the part # for a 300 w/ AOD and get

E4TZ 7C431-A

Exhaustive internet search results in basically nothing, however the good folks at Green Sales Company says they have a NOS part and have it in the mail to me for $10!!

WooHoo!

Not so fast, the picture that they sent looks to be identical to the one I already have. Ugh!

Has anyone put a 4R70W into a Bullnose and successfully used FORD components to utilize the column shift w/ bell crank? Or, can anyone send a couple of pics of their AOD w/ column shift bracket?

I VERY strongly prefer not to use Lokar or others to solve the problem.

Cheers,

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The operative word is "almost" the 4R70W is derived from the AODE which was derived from the AOD. One of the issues is the 4R70/75W had a cable shifter rather than a mechanical rod system, as a result the bracket mounts were only concerned with holding the cable casing in place. We went through this trying to set one up for my son's 1986 F150 4WD, ended up buying I believe it was a Lokar shift lever kit.

The operative word is "almost" the 4R70W is derived from the AODE which was derived from the AOD. One of the issues is the 4R70/75W had a cable shifter rather than a mechanical rod system, as a result the bracket mounts were only concerned with holding the cable casing in place. We went through this trying to set one up for my son's 1986 F150 4WD, ended up buying I believe it was a Lokar shift lever kit.

this is one of the oddities to be discovered. the 4r70w has a single selector shaft with a set ball stud for the shift cable to attach to. where the aod has a doglegged bracket made onto a hollow selector shaft. hollow because the tv linkage shaft goes through it. the aod needs a linkage rod which connects the bell crank to the selector. ford did not put this combination together so there was no reason for them to make a bell crank for it. the 4r70w was never a bell crank operated unit. it's very likely that the bell crank anchor point on the frame may need to be moved rearward on the frame to be at a 90-degree position. and then the selector shaft adapted to receive the connecting rod. the down rod from the column has the adjustment slot to accommodate. another point is that the bell crank for the aod is different in length and positioning than the c6. it may be that a bit of fab work is in order.

this is one of the oddities to be discovered. the 4r70w has a single selector shaft with a set ball stud for the shift cable to attach to. where the aod has a doglegged bracket made onto a hollow selector shaft. hollow because the tv linkage shaft goes through it. the aod needs a linkage rod which connects the bell crank to the selector. ford did not put this combination together so there was no reason for them to make a bell crank for it. the 4r70w was never a bell crank operated unit. it's very likely that the bell crank anchor point on the frame may need to be moved rearward on the frame to be at a 90-degree position. and then the selector shaft adapted to receive the connecting rod. the down rod from the column has the adjustment slot to accommodate. another point is that the bell crank for the aod is different in length and positioning than the c6. it may be that a bit of fab work is in order.

I’ve no problem w/ fab work, in fact I enjoy it. Moving the frame bracket is not an option as the assembly is already extremely close to the underside of the cab sheet metal. Only option I see is to move the grommet in the AOD bracket forward. Seems simple enough, here’s the NOS piece coming from Green Sales that I’ll need to modify

Resized_20240510_090548.jpeg.8f888344ccc606c3c0da6fa328831f5b.jpeg

It looks like you are at that stage where it is the little things that are showing up now :nabble_smiley_angry:

When done it will be a sweet ride :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Thanks, and don’t forget, I’m hoping to get you involved soon with the “get it finished” part.😀

I sure wish that Nickleplate or Rembrandt would chime in as I believe that they both have experience with what I’m dealing with.

Thanks, and don’t forget, I’m hoping to get you involved soon with the “get it finished” part.😀

I sure wish that Nickleplate or Rembrandt would chime in as I believe that they both have experience with what I’m dealing with.

In 3 weeks I will have a lot more time as I will not need to go to work :nabble_anim_jump:

So if you need a hand for "finish work" I will be around.

Dave ----

I’ve no problem w/ fab work, in fact I enjoy it. Moving the frame bracket is not an option as the assembly is already extremely close to the underside of the cab sheet metal. Only option I see is to move the grommet in the AOD bracket forward. Seems simple enough, here’s the NOS piece coming from Green Sales that I’ll need to modify

Kurt . I want to say thank you to you and your wife today. very nice visit and the chance to see your project hands on. after looking over a few parts and a couple trucks once we returned home I realize that the bracket you are waiting to be delivered looks to be the same as on my 86 300/aod combo. the mid mounted tv cable mounting point is one from an 83-carb setup. hopefully all pivot points are as needed. the motor position measurements that we took seem standard by comparison. the 93 f150 I measured has a second pr of crossmember positioning holes further back and that position lines it up perfectly. we only need to sort-out the gussets. I say only but know that so much is still to be built on each step.

Kurt . I want to say thank you to you and your wife today. very nice visit and the chance to see your project hands on. after looking over a few parts and a couple trucks once we returned home I realize that the bracket you are waiting to be delivered looks to be the same as on my 86 300/aod combo. the mid mounted tv cable mounting point is one from an 83-carb setup. hopefully all pivot points are as needed. the motor position measurements that we took seem standard by comparison. the 93 f150 I measured has a second pr of crossmember positioning holes further back and that position lines it up perfectly. we only need to sort-out the gussets. I say only but know that so much is still to be built on each step.

:nabble_smiley_good: