Bullnose Forums

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT MIGRATION - PLEASE READ

Mat - This isn't a funeral but a new beginning.

And yes, it needs to change to stay viable. Not necessarily to grow. That's because our forum is on Nabble, which is going to go away at some point. We aren't paying anything and the proprietor, Franklin, has let me know he will shut it down at some point in time. And given what I have seen, he will do so w/o any notice. (I'm not complaining as that is certainly his right.)

So we must go somewhere and we've done the research and testing and have settled on InVision. We know the cost to move our existing forum there and, while it is significant, it won't get any cheaper over time. So we should go now to keep the cost as low as possible, enjoy the benefits of the new environment longer, and not wake up some day to the place being shut down.

I think I've gotten to the bottom of the costs, which you can see on the spreadsheet at Test Forum/Platform Comparison in the menu. Click on the Costs tab at the bottom.

Going with InVision we are looking at $1800 one time and $660 annually if the usage is about what it is running on their server now. But that may go up. And I've documented $232.96 in annual costs with Weebly and GoDaddy, although that could be cut down if we don't need all of the URL's we've reserved. (We need to figure out how to use those URL's better as we go forward or release some of them.)

So the annual costs will run somewhere around $900, or $75/mo. From what y'all have said so far I think we are going to be fine with that. And I think we can get there on the $1800. So we just need to sort out the details.

As for the non-profit bit, my friend send me this email:

I'm attaching a copy of IRS Publication 557. Page 50 describes the process for applying for tax exempt status as a 501©(7) organization - a social or hobby club. You apply using Form 1024 EZ and it appears it can be done online. This would give you a Tax ID number to open a bank account. You would be required to file Form 990 annually which is a very simple form and can also be done online.

Having read Pg 50 I think we best fit as a hobby club and am going to start the process. :nabble_smiley_super:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've gotten to the bottom of the costs, which you can see on the spreadsheet at Test Forum/Platform Comparison in the menu. Click on the Costs tab at the bottom.Going with InVision we are looking at $1800 one time and $660 annually if the usage is about what it is running on their server now. But that may go up. And I've documented $232.96 in annual costs with Weebly and GoDaddy, although that could be cut down if we don't need all of the URL's we've reserved. (We need to figure out how to use those URL's better as we go forward or release some of them.)So the annual costs will run somewhere around $900, or $75/mo. From what y'all have said so far I think we are going to be fine with that. And I think we can get there on the $1800. So we just need to sort out the details.As for the non-profit bit, my friend send me this email:
I'm attaching a copy of IRS Publication 557. Page 50 describes the process for applying for tax exempt status as a 501©(7) organization - a social or hobby club. You apply using Form 1024 EZ and it appears it can be done online. This would give you a Tax ID number to open a bank account. You would be required to file Form 990 annually which is a very simple form and can also be done online.
Having read Pg 50 I think we best fit as a hobby club and am going to start the process. :nabble_smiley_super:
I don't expect y'all to read all of this, but I'm trying to get my head around it and it helps to type it out.

This is quite confusing as there are many, many documents about how to do it. But Donorbox has this "Ultimate Guide to Start a 501c7 Social Club Organization" that seems to cut through the fog and says we need to do these steps: (Boy, how I wish we were already on InVision as formatting this post would be so much easier there!)

1. Confirm that your organization meets the 501c7 requirements: I believe we do but am still working through some questions just to make sure.

Establish a membership base: We have one, and I think it'll work but am checking to make sure.

Organize a board of directors: We don't have that but can do.

Draft your bylaws and articles of incorporation: Don't have this either but have our guidelines, which are a start. I have our church bylaws to use as an example as they've passed muster.

Secure your EIN and bank account: The article says "It can be helpful to keep your social club’s finances separate from your personal ones. For that purpose, you can create a Non-Profit Organization Employer ID Number (EIN) with the IRS in order to set up a business bank account.Even though it’s referred to as an Employer ID Number, you don’t need to employ anyone to get an EIN. This is simply a tool that allows you to set up a business bank account. You’ll need to provide some personal information, including a social security number, for the organization’s main contact."

Apply for tax-exempt status by filing IRS Form 1024: I'll do that when we get the other bits sorted.

Fill out Form 990 to ensure ongoing compliance: This is an annual thing, which I'll have to do.

Set up a way to collect membership dues: Don't worry, we aren't going to have dues. Just contributions, which are not tax exempt.

Our son, Bret, is a tax lawyer for a major company. And the lady I just spoke to about this was a tax accountant for a major company. Both of them deal/dealt with billions and not hundreds of dollars. But, the idea is the same.

She said that I should set up a non-profit so I don't have to account for this money in our personal finances. But not necessarily a 501©(3). And that if the entity doesn't have any employees it doesn't have to file taxes.

So she and I are going to research what the options are for a non-profit. And I'm going to document what the costs are for what we have as well as where we are going.

Guess I won't be posting what I've done to Big Blue very often. But I think now is the time to make this happen. Janey's stents last week & the tornado that missed us by 12 miles have awakened me to just how tenuous life is, so I need to get this sorted.

Wow Gary!

You're just figuring this out now :nabble_anim_confused:

I'd have thought someone of your generation and background would well know how tenuous our lives really are. :nabble_anim_confused:

Wow Gary!

I'd have thought someone of your generation and background would well know how tenuous our lives really are. :nabble_anim_confused:

What can I say? I'm slow. But I'm getting there. :nabble_smiley_blush:

However, I think it is safe to say that what we have here is well worth preserving - both the posts as well as the camaraderie. So we need to figure out how to preserve it, and setting up the non-profit with bylaws, board of directors, etc is a good start.

I don't expect y'all to read all of this, but I'm trying to get my head around it and it helps to type it out.

This is quite confusing as there are many, many documents about how to do it. But Donorbox has this "Ultimate Guide to Start a 501c7 Social Club Organization" that seems to cut through the fog and says we need to do these steps: (Boy, how I wish we were already on InVision as formatting this post would be so much easier there!)

1. Confirm that your organization meets the 501c7 requirements: I believe we do but am still working through some questions just to make sure.

Establish a membership base: We have one, and I think it'll work but am checking to make sure.

Organize a board of directors: We don't have that but can do.

Draft your bylaws and articles of incorporation: Don't have this either but have our guidelines, which are a start. I have our church bylaws to use as an example as they've passed muster.

Secure your EIN and bank account: The article says "It can be helpful to keep your social club’s finances separate from your personal ones. For that purpose, you can create a Non-Profit Organization Employer ID Number (EIN) with the IRS in order to set up a business bank account.Even though it’s referred to as an Employer ID Number, you don’t need to employ anyone to get an EIN. This is simply a tool that allows you to set up a business bank account. You’ll need to provide some personal information, including a social security number, for the organization’s main contact."

Apply for tax-exempt status by filing IRS Form 1024: I'll do that when we get the other bits sorted.

Fill out Form 990 to ensure ongoing compliance: This is an annual thing, which I'll have to do.

Set up a way to collect membership dues: Don't worry, we aren't going to have dues. Just contributions, which are not tax exempt.

Gary, I don't know if he can help or not, but my older son (stepson actually) is an IRS auditor? in Austin Texas. He might be able to at least point you in the right direction. If you want I will send you his information off here and let him know, He just had a stent put in one of his heart arteries this morning paid for by the VA (Army veteran, 57 years old). He usually calls me every evening on his 1 hour drive to work.

Gary, I don't know if he can help or not, but my older son (stepson actually) is an IRS auditor? in Austin Texas. He might be able to at least point you in the right direction. If you want I will send you his information off here and let him know, He just had a stent put in one of his heart arteries this morning paid for by the VA (Army veteran, 57 years old). He usually calls me every evening on his 1 hour drive to work.

Bill - It sure won't hurt. You know my email address and phone number, so share whatever you want.

But if he's just had a stent put in he's going to be out of it for a while, so I don't expect him to reach out any time soon.

Thanks!

Bill - It sure won't hurt. You know my email address and phone number, so share whatever you want.

But if he's just had a stent put in he's going to be out of it for a while, so I don't expect him to reach out any time soon.

Thanks!

Churning along here, this is what is said by the West Virginia Institute Of Technology:

• Constitution - The fundamental principles of an organization which determine the responsibilities and rights of its officers and members.

• Bylaws – The detailed procedures and working guidelines of the organization which govern the day-to-day operations of the organization and accompany the Constitution.

So I'm reviewing the church constitution & bylaws to see what they entail and will then be creating a draft of ours, folding in the guidelines we already have. I'm thinking I'll post a draft on here so y'all can help me work through it.

Wow Gary!

However, I think it is safe to say that what we have here is well worth preserving - both the posts as well as the camaraderie. So we need to figure out how to preserve it, and setting up the non-profit with bylaws, board of directors, etc is a good start.

I guess I learned at six, while the rest of my peers were in 1st grade, I was growing up feral. 😄

Wow Gary!

Board of directors can probably be your administrators as that is essentially what we are.