Bullnose Forums

Adding tach

There are two designs of tachometer… the integral circuit type from 85/86 that has an “open” exposed circuit board, and non-integral circuit type from 80-84 with a “closed” case covering the internals. General consensus is that non-integral circuit type tachs have a lot more problems and are more sensitive to sticking when cold. They also tend to develop problems when not used for long periods of time. Given the choice, I would recommend looking for an integral circuit design tach.

Oh, wait… somewhere there is a really good website with comprehensive information on this stuff 😎

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/tachometers.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up, anyone want to do some shopping for me and point me in the right direction to a gauge cluster that would work with my setup???

First, do you need the automatic transmission indicator?

There are plenty, with or without this indicator, on ebay.

IMG_9974.jpeg.e3b33ed9ea860da40ad05ec2430bf53d.jpeg

I used the eBay criteria«1980-81 f-series bronco cluster tach» and got multiple results. Would say around 250$.

Just be sure to avoid « diesel » or « 1980 » units.

1981 to 1986, gasoline truck or Bronco, should work. Red printed circuit behind.

First, do you need the automatic transmission indicator?

There are plenty, with or without this indicator, on ebay.

I used the eBay criteria«1980-81 f-series bronco cluster tach» and got multiple results. Would say around 250$.

Just be sure to avoid « diesel » or « 1980 » units.

1981 to 1986, gasoline truck or Bronco, should work. Red printed circuit behind.

I don’t need the indicator, Any certain RPM I should look for?

I don’t need the indicator, Any certain RPM I should look for?

If you read the linked page you'll see you want a 4 or 6K tach, and NOT a 4,500 rpm one.

Diesel tachs do not have a coil trigger to work with. 💡

If you read the linked page you'll see you want a 4 or 6K tach, and NOT a 4,500 rpm one.

Diesel tachs do not have a coil trigger to work with. 💡

I think a majority of used available gasoline clusters w/tach are 6000rpm model.

That’s the one I installed in Big Bro (the truck didn’t have).

Since Big Bro is geared as a farm tractor (or a battle tank), I rarely reach 3200rpm.

I think a majority of used available gasoline clusters w/tach are 6000rpm model.

That’s the one I installed in Big Bro (the truck didn’t have).

Since Big Bro is geared as a farm tractor (or a battle tank), I rarely reach 3200rpm.

Yeah, well how many do you think were* Windsor's and 460's v/s how many 300's, which would use the 4k tach??? 🤔

*damn phone... 😖

Yeah, well how many do you think were* Windsor's and 460's v/s how many 300's, which would use the 4k tach??? 🤔

*damn phone... 😖

In fact, each time I drive Big Bro on a highway, I am wondering about what Bullnose engine needs a 6000rpm tach. Really?

:nabble_anim_confused: