Bullnose Forums

Flare Side Bed - Let's Take One Apart!

Bronco638

This thread is such a wonderful example of the knowledge that we have

documented on these trucks, and explains why we must spend the $1800 to port

all of this over to the new forum. Well done, guys!

Thanks Gary! Just trying to be a productive member of the site. Are you accepting donations? I could chip in for the forum upgrade.

Gary, I don't remember much that I can help with these days, but these

Flareside beds are imprinted in my brain lol.

This is a great thread and I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing the progress of

Bronco Dave disassembling this bed. As with everything on these trucks, it's

like an archaeological dig trying to understand what was, and what was done

previously by other owners. That part is always fun, even as a viewer.

Keep up the good work Bronco638. Peace & Axle Grease!

Thanks Cory! I appreciate your insight. You've obviously done this before (more than once) and it shows. I just couldn't image trying this level of refurbishment on a truck from the Rust Belt. Not only would it have been a battle to dis-assemble it, most of the intricate things would probably have been rotted/rusted away.

There's more to tackle on this truck (the interior has me concerned as I have the funky door locks and very tired door cards). I think the engine compartment and drivetrain will be next up. Additionally, Mar-K sent an email letting me know my parts shipped. They'll be here Tuesday, June 4th. Woo.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is such a wonderful example of the knowledge that we have

documented on these trucks, and explains why we must spend the $1800 to port

all of this over to the new forum. Well done, guys!

Thanks Gary! Just trying to be a productive member of the site. Are you accepting donations? I could chip in for the forum upgrade.

Gary, I don't remember much that I can help with these days, but these

Flareside beds are imprinted in my brain lol.

This is a great thread and I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing the progress of

Bronco Dave disassembling this bed. As with everything on these trucks, it's

like an archaeological dig trying to understand what was, and what was done

previously by other owners. That part is always fun, even as a viewer.

Keep up the good work Bronco638. Peace & Axle Grease!

Thanks Cory! I appreciate your insight. You've obviously done this before (more than once) and it shows. I just couldn't image trying this level of refurbishment on a truck from the Rust Belt. Not only would it have been a battle to dis-assemble it, most of the intricate things would probably have been rotted/rusted away.

There's more to tackle on this truck (the interior has me concerned as I have the funky door locks and very tired door cards). I think the engine compartment and drivetrain will be next up. Additionally, Mar-K sent an email letting me know my parts shipped. They'll be here Tuesday, June 4th. Woo.

Cory - You are really helping. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave - You are on the list of people I'll hit up when the time comes, which may actually be next week if I can get a bank account set up.

Cory - You are really helping. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave - You are on the list of people I'll hit up when the time comes, which may actually be next week if I can get a bank account set up.

Gary, I agree that this forum, a form of mentorship is extremely valuable. I only hope the youth can get this. too many are growing up without grandparents teaching and even parents teaching. it is far more than just old guys talking about trucks. I certainly am planning to contribute to the preservation of this. any experience that I can share I am glad to do so. not an expert in all things and I read along like the kid hoping to have his stupid questions answered sometimes. a constant study!

Gary, I agree that this forum, a form of mentorship is extremely valuable. I only hope the youth can get this. too many are growing up without grandparents teaching and even parents teaching. it is far more than just old guys talking about trucks. I certainly am planning to contribute to the preservation of this. any experience that I can share I am glad to do so. not an expert in all things and I read along like the kid hoping to have his stupid questions answered sometimes. a constant study!

Mat - You are now on the list.

As for grandkids, my grandson is to arrive in mid-July and I need to have a running 235 to bolt in by then. So far the search hasn't been very much fun.

As for grandkids, my grandson is to arrive in mid-July and I need to have a running 235 to bolt in by then. So far the search hasn't been very much fun.

ls swap?

I know where one is, but he hasn't given me a price. It has a hotter hydraulic cam, close to the 1953-54 Corvettes. Bottom end was rebuilt, all bearings correctly shimmed. I don't think he would include the 3 Carter YHs and intake though. There is also a Powerglide set up for an open drive line, but probably can be converted back to closed.

I know where one is, but he hasn't given me a price. It has a hotter hydraulic cam, close to the 1953-54 Corvettes. Bottom end was rebuilt, all bearings correctly shimmed. I don't think he would include the 3 Carter YHs and intake though. There is also a Powerglide set up for an open drive line, but probably can be converted back to closed.

Thanks, Bill. But I'd really like to find one close.

Thanks, Bill. But I'd really like to find one close.

OK, some pretty good progress over the weekend. I'm ready for my bed flooring kit and rear (#5) sill (which is good because they arrive tomorrow - June 4). I still need to get a short section of 5/16" fuel hose to run from the tank to the hard line as well as a short piece of vent hose, to run from the tank to the hard line.

Ready to install the tank:

20240602_112523.thumb.jpg.42a418c4c6c2e47afb3e4945a08397a9.jpg

I'll address the axle tube in the future, when I swap carriers or ring/pinion for a final drive ratio that better suits the 4.9/AOD combo.

20240602_112533.thumb.jpg.933d71c570be06a71190d250a5789088.jpg

The rear brake hose was replaced.

20240602_112537.thumb.jpg.063439e41a96671e290429a2c52d629c.jpg

20240602_112543.thumb.jpg.404b3d4d94f5a1521d3bf28eb414de8c.jpg

20240602_112554.thumb.jpg.cfaff2c5c2711636eb5e84c12cf6ecde.jpg

And, the new gas tank with new sending unit (and old vent):

20240602_115926.thumb.jpg.f1a144d471023e078bac1eafaae0b0ae.jpg

I also took the opportunity to clean & re-paint the tank straps (their condition is so good, I can still read the engineering numbers stamped into them):

20240602_120859.jpg.74a99ccec4c6c9593f19191359d03910.jpg

20240602_120935.jpg.b48acd0263d28b5af3df8ae273eefdf7.jpg

And, tank installed:

20240602_132507.thumb.jpg.8c6c6166e447b28a1bbedd486b421cb1.jpg

20240602_145335.thumb.jpg.f346de23503f0ab031dcf41beb8c6429.jpg

Filler neck installed:

20240602_145352.thumb.jpg.0d5071409f8fc194188787810a3e5d37.jpg

I opted to use Fluid Film where the tank meets the frame and where the straps come in contact with the tank. I thought about using some type of rubber strip or indoor/outdoor carpet but that just didn't seem like a good idea. With the Fluid Film spray cans, you can use the straw to get the product in very small/tight locations. I also used it on the frame where I wasn't able to get good paint coverage or hadn't been able to reach with the wire wheel/brush.

OK, some pretty good progress over the weekend. I'm ready for my bed flooring kit and rear (#5) sill (which is good because they arrive tomorrow - June 4). I still need to get a short section of 5/16" fuel hose to run from the tank to the hard line as well as a short piece of vent hose, to run from the tank to the hard line.

Ready to install the tank:

I'll address the axle tube in the future, when I swap carriers or ring/pinion for a final drive ratio that better suits the 4.9/AOD combo.

The rear brake hose was replaced.

And, the new gas tank with new sending unit (and old vent):

I also took the opportunity to clean & re-paint the tank straps (their condition is so good, I can still read the engineering numbers stamped into them):

And, tank installed:

Filler neck installed:

I opted to use Fluid Film where the tank meets the frame and where the straps come in contact with the tank. I thought about using some type of rubber strip or indoor/outdoor carpet but that just didn't seem like a good idea. With the Fluid Film spray cans, you can use the straw to get the product in very small/tight locations. I also used it on the frame where I wasn't able to get good paint coverage or hadn't been able to reach with the wire wheel/brush.

Looking GOOD! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the fuel line, be sure to get some that is E85 rated. I doubt they are selling any fuel line anymore that isn't, but I know the original hoses do not like the alcohol in the fuel and get soft and leak.

On the Fluid Film, it creeps. I have some places above the rear wheelwells that have body putty in them and the FF found its way through microscopic cracks in the putty. So it doesn't take a lot to get good coverage.