Bullnose Forums

Bench seat cover suggestions

Well... I had a bad afternoon, and for reasons I'd rather not discuss, my seat cover on my bullnose had to be trashed today.

The seat underneath is a basket case (back ripped at the seams, foam worn away on the driver's entry seat side)... and I'm not in a position to have it reupholstered, so I need a new cover.

What I had was a saddle blanket style cover I got at Pull-a-part... so I'm starting empty.

Are there any good covers that don't cost three figures? Just poking around amazon I'm seeing suitable covers for reasonable prices but the reviews are not so good.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be another saddle cover, but while they aren't stock, they are traditional in some sense...

Sorry to hear your seat had a bad day Larry. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice, and it's worth exactly what you have to pay for it. πŸ˜‰

A few years back, when I was in VT I redid my '87 seat using a Bullnose kit from our friends at LMC.

I know that vinyl has gotten out of hand, as the illusive Nauga has become an endangered species. (Naugahyde originates from the US Rubber plant , right here along the Naugatuck river in New Haven county)

I've been screwing with seats and foam since the mid-70's when we used to carve our motorcycle seats out with the Thanksgiving electric carving knife and glue them back together with Super 88.

My eldest niece's father was a 3rd generation upolsterer who sadly passed while riding his Harley a few years back.

The 'springs' in these seats are really tempered bars with a zig-zag to allow for some suspension.

You may find your build sheet tucked up under the driver's side....πŸ’‘

Over time they cut into the foam, and they break off the seat frame.

You can weld them back, but they need a 'splint' for reinforcement.

You can lay a piece of cardboard over the springs to help the foam out, and keep it above the springs.

I found an old boat cushion and spray glued some on to help out the crushed bolster where I got in and out all the time.

Pink corner bead spray adhesive from the drywall section of your local big box works great for this -and headliners- and it's relatively cheap compared to the bigger cans of foam rubber adhesive.

I'm sorry, I don't have a source for an inexpensive cover for you, but if you go with vinyl a heatgun set on warm will help a lot getting the wrinkles out and filling in the corners while you pull it into place.

I hope it goes well for you! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Seems you can't catch a break with that truck sometimes....

Β 

Sorry to hear your seat had a bad day Larry. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice, and it's worth exactly what you have to pay for it. πŸ˜‰

A few years back, when I was in VT I redid my '87 seat using a Bullnose kit from our friends at LMC.

I know that vinyl has gotten out of hand, as the illusive Nauga has become an endangered species. (Naugahyde originates from the US Rubber plant , right here along the Naugatuck river in New Haven county)

I've been screwing with seats and foam since the mid-70's when we used to carve our motorcycle seats out with the Thanksgiving electric carving knife and glue them back together with Super 88.

My eldest niece's father was a 3rd generation upolsterer who sadly passed while riding his Harley a few years back.

The 'springs' in these seats are really tempered bars with a zig-zag to allow for some suspension.

You may find your build sheet tucked up under the driver's side....πŸ’‘

Over time they cut into the foam, and they break off the seat frame.

You can weld them back, but they need a 'splint' for reinforcement.

You can lay a piece of cardboard over the springs to help the foam out, and keep it above the springs.

I found an old boat cushion and spray glued some on to help out the crushed bolster where I got in and out all the time.

Pink corner bead spray adhesive from the drywall section of your local big box works great for this -and headliners- and it's relatively cheap compared to the bigger cans of foam rubber adhesive.

I'm sorry, I don't have a source for an inexpensive cover for you, but if you go with vinyl a heatgun set on warm will help a lot getting the wrinkles out and filling in the corners while you pull it into place.

I hope it goes well for you! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Seems you can't catch a break with that truck sometimes....

There is literally an entire area "scooped" away from the lower cushion due to years of people getting in and out of the truck with that part of the upholstery gone. 1 broken underwire... that side of the foam is OK but still not "mint" (and no, there wasn't a build sheet there!).

There is literally an entire area "scooped" away from the lower cushion due to years of people getting in and out of the truck with that part of the upholstery gone. 1 broken underwire... that side of the foam is OK but still not "mint" (and no, there wasn't a build sheet there!).

Sounds like you've already got it sussed!

A random seat cushion and a really sharp carving knife would fix you up. πŸ‘

I'd suggest cutting on the diagonal, so there's no hard seam and pressure from above doesn't make it want to come loose.

Cardboard is still a good (prophylactic) measure. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Sounds like you've already got it sussed!

A random seat cushion and a really sharp carving knife would fix you up. πŸ‘

I'd suggest cutting on the diagonal, so there's no hard seam and pressure from above doesn't make it want to come loose.

Cardboard is still a good (prophylactic) measure. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Second on that carving knife. I patched mine up that way with a small patch. Terrible job mine, but I'm sure you could do better. The patch would never be seen anyway... so.. maybe it doesn't have to be pretty.. I used 3M spray adhesive which is ridiculously strong. Bought the seat cover from LMC. Was little under $300 for all.

On that broken wire.. that is what I observed too. I used "music wire" from the local ACE hardware and with some heat I was able to shape that wire exactly as needed to replace that broken wire.

I went for Velour as I have observed it holds up better... but to each their own. Vinyl does look better but I never go for looks :nabble_anim_blbl:.. sour grapes :nabble_smiley_cry:

Sorry you said not in the 3 figures.. but I often spring for a bit extra if there is value. Wanted to share this in case you saw the value.

seat_patch.jpg.f097020ef8de2ea6a808c9c9936dbc66.jpg

seat_cover.jpg.d2dd7808215049fe96308735d26b4064.jpg

Second on that carving knife. I patched mine up that way with a small patch. Terrible job mine, but I'm sure you could do better. The patch would never be seen anyway... so.. maybe it doesn't have to be pretty.. I used 3M spray adhesive which is ridiculously strong. Bought the seat cover from LMC. Was little under $300 for all.

On that broken wire.. that is what I observed too. I used "music wire" from the local ACE hardware and with some heat I was able to shape that wire exactly as needed to replace that broken wire.

I went for Velour as I have observed it holds up better... but to each their own. Vinyl does look better but I never go for looks :nabble_anim_blbl:.. sour grapes :nabble_smiley_cry:

Sorry you said not in the 3 figures.. but I often spring for a bit extra if there is value. Wanted to share this in case you saw the value.

Not that there isn't value... more of a "my resources are mostly going somewhere else right now".