Bullnose Forums

Onan generator- off topic!

Ifitaintbroke

I have an Onan 4000 that came out of a 2001 Minnie. Back in 2017, when we were running away from hurricane Irma, we went to Alabama. On the way back, we boondocked at a couple of Walmarts. The generator had never worked since we got the camper, but we needed power, and tried to get it running. Long story short, it ended up catching on fire. Fan shroud is toast, but ended up finding a new one.

20240417_091816.jpg.323d7932a2db1f68cac95ca98b3b2d0d.jpg

20240417_091852.jpg.8838ea754cefc4434e36fbdbf41c5a0b.jpg

20240417_091941.jpg.bcb37c7b5a8964b9b4dc1af36df56357.jpg

20240417_091954.jpg.206e1833acccd7ca90d7b4376e750043.jpg

20240417_091905.jpg.e7cbf98db922067377d7297f3e7ca78a.jpg

20240417_092021.jpg.4206cb31fb6e7df872c60acdca7acdb3.jpg

20240417_092056.jpg.bb722a873fee2235729772f7222d7cfa.jpg

20240417_092112.jpg.be0b804fb541b79f56bcbe29541fe9ec.jpg

20240417_092131.jpg.cfbe13b9b8e40029287c8ddc92e90295.jpg

Carb isn't worth fixing, so I ordered a cheap one on ebay, to get it running. Biggest challenge will be the wiring. It originally had an electric fuel pump, but that won't be needed as it will be stationary, and have a top-mounted fuel tank. I'll try my best to keep this updated as I work on in it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've fixed a lot of old Onan's on sailboats back in the late '70's- early '80's but never an underslung one like that.

Back then they were transitioning to Subaru Robin engines, which seemed much more reliable but hard to find parts for here in the states.

I did know a few ex-pat Brits down in the islands, but parts were slow to get, and Japanese dealers were non-existent.

Good luck!

I'm following to see where this leads ... :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I've fixed a lot of old Onan's on sailboats back in the late '70's- early '80's but never an underslung one like that.

Back then they were transitioning to Subaru Robin engines, which seemed much more reliable but hard to find parts for here in the states.

I did know a few ex-pat Brits down in the islands, but parts were slow to get, and Japanese dealers were non-existent.

Good luck!

Jim, I have two Onans and a Kohler. The Onans are a 305 CCK and a 4.0 CCK, both actually rated at 4.0 KW. The Kohler is a 6.5 KW.

The 305 CCK is a recoil start engine and actually isn't too bad to start, it just doesn't pull fast. Once started I have run our 30 ft 5th wheel on it including the AC for an entire weekend twice. The first time I didn't have a big fuel tank, so it sat in Darth's bed at Oceana NAS in Virginia Beach and we took turns going out and filling 5 gal cans. Second time I had a 30 gal marine fuel tank that had been in a Winnebago for travelling up the Alcan highway, owner traded me a tune up and carburetor repair on his Onan genset for the tank.

4.0 CCK was removed from a motorhome being scrapped and given to me, it can be battery started and has reverse flow cooling. It is nice to use but really needs a proper mounting frame. The Kohler came out of a big sailboat a co-worker's family owned. Both of these use what is called "stator cranking" where the generator acts as a direct drive starter.

Good luck!

I'm going to get a new plug for it tomorrow. I'll have to build a whole new fuel system for it. I'm doing away with the electric pump (mainly because I hate them and don't trust them). The fuel tank will be mounted overhead (gravity feed). The whole thing will be mounted in a movable wooden frame/stand. I'll be using the F250's old rear tank. 19 gallons should run that thing for a while...

Jim, I have two Onans and a Kohler. The Onans are a 305 CCK and a 4.0 CCK, both actually rated at 4.0 KW. The Kohler is a 6.5 KW.

The 305 CCK is a recoil start engine and actually isn't too bad to start, it just doesn't pull fast. Once started I have run our 30 ft 5th wheel on it including the AC for an entire weekend twice. The first time I didn't have a big fuel tank, so it sat in Darth's bed at Oceana NAS in Virginia Beach and we took turns going out and filling 5 gal cans. Second time I had a 30 gal marine fuel tank that had been in a Winnebago for travelling up the Alcan highway, owner traded me a tune up and carburetor repair on his Onan genset for the tank.

4.0 CCK was removed from a motorhome being scrapped and given to me, it can be battery started and has reverse flow cooling. It is nice to use but really needs a proper mounting frame. The Kohler came out of a big sailboat a co-worker's family owned. Both of these use what is called "stator cranking" where the generator acts as a direct drive starter.

I really wish I could take the engine out and use it in a mower or something fun. It's rated at 9.5 hp, and I've heard that these Onans are pretty tough. I'm impressed with the construction so far. Of note is the cast aluminum valve cover, instead of the usual cheap stamped steel. But, I need this generator, so in it will stay.

I'm going to get a new plug for it tomorrow. I'll have to build a whole new fuel system for it. I'm doing away with the electric pump (mainly because I hate them and don't trust them). The fuel tank will be mounted overhead (gravity feed). The whole thing will be mounted in a movable wooden frame/stand. I'll be using the F250's old rear tank. 19 gallons should run that thing for a while...

Every ICE on the road in the last 38 years has electric fuel pumps. They can be very reliable

(I don't understand the hatred?)

Every ICE on the road in the last 38 years has electric fuel pumps. They can be very reliable

I'm curious too. Usually there is a backstory to 'hatred' :nabble_smiley_evil:

I've been through so many on the F250 that I just don't trust them anymore. I also sell them, and see how many come back, and how many originals fail. I know they are a solid technology, but I still don't like them. I'm just like that. Might not make sense, but that's how it is.

I'm curious too. Usually there is a backstory to 'hatred' :nabble_smiley_evil:

Quite a backstory. Chasing a working electric fuel pump is part of how I got my job at the parts store. Every fuel pump I put in the rear tank on the truck failed (or had a wrong resistance range-but that's another story) except a Holley. I still got so disgusted with them that I went to a mechanical pump.

I've been through so many on the F250 that I just don't trust them anymore. I also sell them, and see how many come back, and how many originals fail. I know they are a solid technology, but I still don't like them. I'm just like that. Might not make sense, but that's how it is.

Personally I'm not that worried about OEM in-tank high pressure electric fuel pumps. I think they've proven their value. Aftermarket replacement in-tank electric fuel pumps are a little more questionable. It seems that there is a fair amount of junk out there, but I'm sure there are good ones as well.

But for a carbed Onan generator you can't use an OEM in-tank high pressure electric fuel pump. I'm not aware of any OEM in-line low pressure electric fuel pumps (I'm well aware that there may be some I'm not aware of). And my experience with aftermarket in-line low pressure electric fuel pumps had led me to try to avoid them whenever possible as well.