Bullnose Forums

1986 460 starter

Hey guys. I bought a used 1986 F250. It has the 460 motor with a manual trans. Is there a different size starter gear for a manual vs standard? I’m having trouble with the starter gear being to far away from flywheel/flex plate

It is a different drive end housing, gets the gear further into the clutch housing. The two numbers are 3225 for a manual transmission and 3226 for an automatic transmission. These are numbers that may or may not be on the box, but most parts stores with any experience will be able to put them tho their numbers.

It is a different drive end housing, gets the gear further into the clutch housing. The two numbers are 3225 for a manual transmission and 3226 for an automatic transmission. These are numbers that may or may not be on the box, but most parts stores with any experience will be able to put them tho their numbers.

How would I fix this? What starter works?

I have the fender mounted starter solenoid. Will this be an issue?

No, you just need to rearrange the wires.

Here is how I did mine when I first put a PMGR starter on.

DSCN0034a.thumb.jpg.9af88590845583ac3d1da26d1f7a1cf1.jpg

Solenoid stud refers to the big stud, to solenoid is the small wire to the starter solenoid which can be a pigtail or a smaller stud.

No, you just need to rearrange the wires.

Here is how I did mine when I first put a PMGR starter on.

Solenoid stud refers to the big stud, to solenoid is the small wire to the starter solenoid which can be a pigtail or a smaller stud.

So basically you have 2 solenoids and kinda mirror the wiring???

not sure about "mirror the wiring".

the fender relay now becomes a terminal block for the heavy wire and the relay triggers the starter mounted solenoid.

A solenoid is an actuator (it moves something)

In this case it moves the starter gear into engagement with the ring gear on the flywheel.

The relay inside the passenger fender only amplifies an electric switch.

The BL&R (S) wire from the ignition switch makes the relay connect the battery to the starter.

In the case of a PMGR, it is used to trigger the solenoid on the starter itself.

The solenoid on the starter (at least MY 460 PMGR starter) needs 40A to pull and 13A to hold the starter engaged.

I hope this is easy to understand, as we had a question posed yesterday that pointed out Gary's verbiage is not succinct.