Bullnose Forums

Starter issues

I just read the instructions here

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/pmgr-starter-wiring.html

I don't know much about the PMGR starter but at a high level it looks like there are 2 relays now. Fender mounted relay's only job is to pull-in the relay on the PMGR starter.

I can tell something is stuck.

Can you confirm what happens

- When battery is disconnected and re-connected and ignition switch is off ? Is the starter motor automatically engaged ? If not.. clearly the off position of ignition switch is working properly

- When you move to run, does the starter motor run ? If not, then so far so good

- When you move to start, looks like the starter motor is getting engaged, but unable to release when you move back to run

I agree with the suggestion above to disconnect the 'S' terminal on the fender mounted relay when this happens...

- if the starter disengages then you know something is wrong with the ignition key wiring,

- if the starter continues to engage then you can go after the fender mounted relay or the relay on the PMGR starter or wiring of the PMGR starter

The starter has a solenoid.

It pulls the drive gear into engagement.

Not just an electrical connection like a relay.

If we're going to troubleshoot, let's be succinct and exacting.

None of us are there looking at it, and the OP has not provided photos or an -as built-in schematic.

So it's pin the tail on the donkey at this point.... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

The starter has a solenoid.

It pulls the drive gear into engagement.

Not just an electrical connection like a relay.

If we're going to troubleshoot, let's be succinct and exacting.

None of us are there looking at it, and the OP has not provided photos or an -as built-in schematic.

So it's pin the tail on the donkey at this point.... :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Not to point fingers... :nabble_smiley_evil:

but I was just following the terminology in the tutorial linked in my reply above

"relay (aka solenoid)"

"since a PMGR starter has its own relay"

but I was just following the terminology in the tutorial linked in my reply above

"relay (aka solenoid)"

but I like pin the tail on the donkey

"relay (aka solenoid)"

I didn't write it, Gary did!

I have a very good vocabulary and I'm pretty concise and succinct when it comes to technical things.

That's the only reason I'm here! 😉

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edit :donkey and burro are polite terms for an Ass.

I pulled the new starter off and put the old one back on. Changed the wiring back to stock. There was nothing wrong with the old starter, I just know they can be finicky sometimes. Sorry I didn't post any pictures or draw up a schematic of what I had done. In the future I won't ask any questions, I'll just take it to a shop.

I pulled the new starter off and put the old one back on. Changed the wiring back to stock. There was nothing wrong with the old starter, I just know they can be finicky sometimes. Sorry I didn't post any pictures or draw up a schematic of what I had done. In the future I won't ask any questions, I'll just take it to a shop.

Thanks for the update!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

We want your questions!

We're here to help.

If there's something wrong with your new Ford Racing starter we can help diagnose it and make it right. 💡

Amongst the 'elders' here we have Gary who started this whole thing and scanned more factory documents than you can imagine.

Bill, otherwise known by his website "Old School Hotrodder" who owned a carburetor and tune-up shop (Preston Carburetor) and did metallurgical testing at Newport News shipyard before he retired.

Myrll, who sold parts from a Ford dealership for decades... back when these trucks were in the showroom.

Me? I'm just an autistic geek who has disassembled more 250/350/450 trucks than you can count on fingers and toes.

I built and raced motorcycles and offshore power boats back in the 80's.

Plus.... Matt from Tennessee (North Carolina now) who owns a vintage restoration shop specializing in FoMoCo vehicles.

You can't ask for a more knowledgeable and helpful bunch of folks.