Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

Ian, a flywheel is a large generally iron or steel piece somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4" thick that helps smooth out the engine pulses. A flex plate is much thinner, frequently with open sections as it has either a torque converter or fluid coupling bolted to it.

The mass of fluif in the attached coupling or converter provides the needed smoothing of the engine pulses.

Good explanation, Bill. Thanks.

Ian - In addition to what Bill said, a flywheel is used with a manual transmission while a flex plate is used with an automatic transmission. So this engine originally had an automatic transmission behind it. But our pickup has a manual transmission, like Big Blue has, so we need to have a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. If you want to read up on that you might like this page: Your Clutch System – Clutch Disc vs Pressure Plate vs Flywheel vs Clutch Kit.

We are going to need to replace the flex plate with a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate as we have the manual transmission. I'll see if the engine in cousin Kirk's shop has a good setup that we can buy, but we may want to buy a new kit.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian - In addition to what Bill said, a flywheel is used with a manual transmission while a flex plate is used with an automatic transmission. So this engine originally had an automatic transmission behind it. But our pickup has a manual transmission, like Big Blue has, so we need to have a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. If you want to read up on that you might like this page: Your Clutch System – Clutch Disc vs Pressure Plate vs Flywheel vs Clutch Kit.

We are going to need to replace the flex plate with a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate as we have the manual transmission. I'll see if the engine in cousin Kirk's shop has a good setup that we can buy, but we may want to buy a new kit.

Well, minor problem. Rock Auto nor O'Reilly's lists a flywheel for the 1955 235. So I called DeWayne at Skiatook Auto Parts and none of his stuff lists one. But he can get a new ring gear, so if the 216 flywheel is the same diameter maybe I could replace the ring gear.

But, the guy in my home town that came up with the 235 that is seized said I can have the flywheel, clutch, et al off of it if it is any good. So I've sent a note to my nephew and maybe he can pull it off and see if it is any good.

Also, I need space in front of the pickup under the carport, but that is where the Super Bee is setting. So Steve/FoxFord33 and I are going to pull the trailer out, which is next to both vehicles, back it up to the Bee, and winch it on. Then put the trailer back in its spot and I'll have plenty of room in front of the pickup. I'll back my new truck up to that spot and use the shop crane to lift the 235 out of the bed and put it on skates.

But all of that hinges on getting Big Blue going again, so I need to finish the sub-woofer install and button everything up. :nabble_smiley_super:

Well, minor problem. Rock Auto nor O'Reilly's lists a flywheel for the 1955 235. So I called DeWayne at Skiatook Auto Parts and none of his stuff lists one. But he can get a new ring gear, so if the 216 flywheel is the same diameter maybe I could replace the ring gear.

But, the guy in my home town that came up with the 235 that is seized said I can have the flywheel, clutch, et al off of it if it is any good. So I've sent a note to my nephew and maybe he can pull it off and see if it is any good.

Also, I need space in front of the pickup under the carport, but that is where the Super Bee is setting. So Steve/FoxFord33 and I are going to pull the trailer out, which is next to both vehicles, back it up to the Bee, and winch it on. Then put the trailer back in its spot and I'll have plenty of room in front of the pickup. I'll back my new truck up to that spot and use the shop crane to lift the 235 out of the bed and put it on skates.

But all of that hinges on getting Big Blue going again, so I need to finish the sub-woofer install and button everything up. :nabble_smiley_super:

A speaker is keeping the truck from running??? :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm sure you'll find parts for that French truck, and you'll be ready for Ian when he gets back from Honduras. (Honduras, Belize, Salvador, Guatemala and Costa Rica aref all beautiful places with beautiful people (at least they were 30, 40 & 50 years ago)

A speaker is keeping the truck from running??? :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm sure you'll find parts for that French truck, and you'll be ready for Ian when he gets back from Honduras. (Honduras, Belize, Salvador, Guatemala and Costa Rica aref all beautiful places with beautiful people (at least they were 30, 40 & 50 years ago)

Big Blue is apart to rewire such that the AFR meter comes on when the engine starts, not when the key comes on. So the dash is apart as is the PS PDB. But those things need to be apart to wire the subwoofer, so the timing was good. However, things have happened that have prevented me from working on it, so it is dragging out.

As for those countries, you skipped the country between Honduras and Costa Rica - Nicaragua. The twins lived there long enough to consider it home at one point. But yes, they are beautiful.

Big Blue is apart to rewire such that the AFR meter comes on when the engine starts, not when the key comes on. So the dash is apart as is the PS PDB. But those things need to be apart to wire the subwoofer, so the timing was good. However, things have happened that have prevented me from working on it, so it is dragging out.

As for those countries, you skipped the country between Honduras and Costa Rica - Nicaragua. The twins lived there long enough to consider it home at one point. But yes, they are beautiful.

I didn't skip it.

I know it well.

But Ortega has become the same damn villain that CIA installed when they assassinated the democratically elected president. (I keep going back to the Clash and their song Sandinsta)

Thank you for the explanation Pop-pop. I am excited to learn more about how to drive manual transmission.

Be careful moving the Super-bee.

Thank you for the explanation Pop-pop. I am excited to learn more about how to drive manual transmission.

Be careful moving the Super-bee.

You are most welcome, buddy. I will be careful moving the Bee, but you’uns be careful on your trip. And, have fun!

You are most welcome, buddy. I will be careful moving the Bee, but you’uns be careful on your trip. And, have fun!

Hey Gary,

What was the interest in the truck from grandson…I mean, does it have anything to do with modern cars, older cars cooler? I am interested in the rationale.

I read and wrote about last year, Crawford’s books, and also his Why we Drive…And then there’s the excellent Junkyards, Gearheads, and Rust book, which I highly recommend.

I am interested in such reasons as it kinda goes along with my job, or is a topic of interest.

Hey Gary,

What was the interest in the truck from grandson…I mean, does it have anything to do with modern cars, older cars cooler? I am interested in the rationale.

I read and wrote about last year, Crawford’s books, and also his Why we Drive…And then there’s the excellent Junkyards, Gearheads, and Rust book, which I highly recommend.

I am interested in such reasons as it kinda goes along with my job, or is a topic of interest.

I wish I could answer that, but only Ian can. I'll tag him, but he leaves tomorrow on a mission trip to Honduras, so we may not get an answer soon.

I wish I could answer that, but only Ian can. I'll tag him, but he leaves tomorrow on a mission trip to Honduras, so we may not get an answer soon.

I can't answer for young people either, but on the trip I just took to Utah I had two different people tell me that an early Bronco was their daughter's dream car. One of the guys was in his 40s, the other in his 30s, so these aren't very old daughters!

It seems to be like music: "I was around when all the good bands were playing"