Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

I know you're looking for a 235, but I just stumbled across this on CL.

https://augusta.craigslist.org/pts/d/gough-1949-chevy-216-motor-plus-parts/7732671648.html

Thanks, Bradley. If that was closer it would be an option, although I really wanted to upgrade to a 235 since they take a 12V starter and have a fully pressurized oiling system.

Luckily I've found a 235 that was said to have been running when pulled, and it is with a guy that my nephew knows quite well in my home town. He's going to check it out this Saturday and let me know what condition it is in and whether it has a starter and/or generator. But at $300 and only 100 miles away I'll probably go with it.

That will put us, Ian and I, in a position to pull the 216 and install the 235 when he comes back this summer. And we may have to rebuild the carb, probably install a new gas tank and sending unit, new radiator and heater hoses, etc. Plus check out the radiator to ensure it doesn't leak.

Speaking of Ian, he's registered on here and has subscribed to this thread. That makes three generations, which I think is a first!

Also, he and I took a bunch of pics yesterday and put up a new page at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Ugly Green, which is what he is calling the truck - at least for now.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Bradley. If that was closer it would be an option, although I really wanted to upgrade to a 235 since they take a 12V starter and have a fully pressurized oiling system.

Luckily I've found a 235 that was said to have been running when pulled, and it is with a guy that my nephew knows quite well in my home town. He's going to check it out this Saturday and let me know what condition it is in and whether it has a starter and/or generator. But at $300 and only 100 miles away I'll probably go with it.

That will put us, Ian and I, in a position to pull the 216 and install the 235 when he comes back this summer. And we may have to rebuild the carb, probably install a new gas tank and sending unit, new radiator and heater hoses, etc. Plus check out the radiator to ensure it doesn't leak.

Speaking of Ian, he's registered on here and has subscribed to this thread. That makes three generations, which I think is a first!

Also, he and I took a bunch of pics yesterday and put up a new page at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Ugly Green, which is what he is calling the truck - at least for now.

I was shocked to find out that there were splash lubed automotive engines. Funnily enough, I had just recently told one of my coworkers that there was no such thing. Should have researched that first! I just can't see how a splash lube engine can be that large, and not run the risk of catastrophic failure.

I replied to his intro post. :nabble_smiley_good:

I just can't see how a splash lube engine can be that large, and not run the risk of catastrophic failure.

Giant ship engines were splash lubed and they run almost 24/7 for decades.

Makes sense, but I'm sure they also run at stupid low rpms.

Makes sense, but I'm sure they also run at stupid low rpms.

Yes, it is low rpm (would have to be with a 14' stroke)

Piston speeds are about right for the metallurgy and clearances available back then.

Bill just got through building a model of the Titanic engines

He can't do much because of his back, until the 15th, when they will do a spinal injection.

He has posted pictures and information

• 2 weeks later...

I might be about to acquire a 1950ish Chevy for free. If I do, I'll put up some pics of it.

Please do, Bradley. They might help us.

As an update, we still don't have an engine although there are three hunts going on:

• The gentleman I talked to certainly has one and it is at his friend's house in Wichita. He was up there 10 days ago and was supposed to take pics but forgot. But he's going again this Saturday and I'm going to remind him. The big question is what transmission it has and if it has a starter or generator. On the transmission, we want to stay manual but could consider an auto, but need to stay with a torque tube driveshaft so we don't have to also swap out the rear axle.

• My brother knows of another engine that he's to take pics of so we can try to determine what it is. He's just not had a chance to do that.

• Another engine has been found that is fresh from the machine shop. But it has a 2-carb intake and split exhaust manifold plus several other goodies, so would cost about $3000 and take a lot of work. Not what we are looking for.

And there's a discussion going on about wheels. My brother had exactly the same experience I did of buying later 6-lug wheels and finding that they hit the tie rod ends. So we are aware that there's an offset spec we need to determine before we start down that road.

As an update, we still don't have an engine although there are three hunts going on:

• The gentleman I talked to certainly has one and it is at his friend's house in Wichita. He was up there 10 days ago and was supposed to take pics but forgot. But he's going again this Saturday and I'm going to remind him. The big question is what transmission it has and if it has a starter or generator. On the transmission, we want to stay manual but could consider an auto, but need to stay with a torque tube driveshaft so we don't have to also swap out the rear axle.

• My brother knows of another engine that he's to take pics of so we can try to determine what it is. He's just not had a chance to do that.

• Another engine has been found that is fresh from the machine shop. But it has a 2-carb intake and split exhaust manifold plus several other goodies, so would cost about $3000 and take a lot of work. Not what we are looking for.

And there's a discussion going on about wheels. My brother had exactly the same experience I did of buying later 6-lug wheels and finding that they hit the tie rod ends. So we are aware that there's an offset spec we need to determine before we start down that road.

Can guarantee it won't help, but I won't say why. You'll find out! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Gary, just throw in a 2.3 Lima and a 5 speed from a Ranger. :nabble_smiley_super: