Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

Look up the pan gaskets and see if they are different.

On the flywheel, I thought you were going to change the ring gear anyway. FWIW, 1953-54 and maybe even 1955 were 6 volt and the Powerglide cars got the 235 engine to make up for the serious loss of pep with a Powerglide. As near as I can tell, all 235s are full pressure oiling, so if the rods and troughs get too friendly the troughs can be eliminated.

No, the plan is to buy a new flywheel as they are available for under $100.

As for the pan gaskets, Rock Auto says:

1950 216 1955 235

FEL-PRO OS5041C FEL-PRO OS5041C

VICTOR REINZ 101017901 VICTOR REINZ 101017901

MAHLE / CLEVITE OS30902 MAHLE / CLEVITE OS31116

On the electrical systems, this 1955 Truck Engineering Achievements document says that all 1955 trucks were 12 volt. That fits with other things that I've read. But I'll have to look at the starter and generator to see if they happen to say 12V on them.

I'll have to get a voltage regulator for the generator. And I think I'll need a Chrysler ballast resistor for the coil - right?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the plan is to buy a new flywheel as they are available for under $100.

As for the pan gaskets, Rock Auto says:

1950 216 1955 235

FEL-PRO OS5041C FEL-PRO OS5041C

VICTOR REINZ 101017901 VICTOR REINZ 101017901

MAHLE / CLEVITE OS30902 MAHLE / CLEVITE OS31116

On the electrical systems, this 1955 Truck Engineering Achievements document says that all 1955 trucks were 12 volt. That fits with other things that I've read. But I'll have to look at the starter and generator to see if they happen to say 12V on them.

I'll have to get a voltage regulator for the generator. And I think I'll need a Chrysler ballast resistor for the coil - right?

If you stay with breaker points. If you have a Delta Mark 10 breakerless kit, it will work perfectly in a Delco 6 cyl distributor. If not, you will need a ballast resistor. I think GM used a ceramic one for years just like Chrysler

See how easy looking up the pan gaskets was? I wonder what is different on the Mahle / Clevite gaskets?

On the generator, I think I would stick an alternator on it. Generators and short runs = low battery. When I had my 1958 F100, if I didn't get it out on a good highway run once a week, by the latter part of the second week, particularly in the winter, it really didn't want to start, even with the original 223 6, with the 312 it was worse. Park it with the back end uphill, let it roll and pop the clutch in 2nd.

If you stay with breaker points. If you have a Delta Mark 10 breakerless kit, it will work perfectly in a Delco 6 cyl distributor. If not, you will need a ballast resistor. I think GM used a ceramic one for years just like Chrysler

See how easy looking up the pan gaskets was? I wonder what is different on the Mahle / Clevite gaskets?

On the generator, I think I would stick an alternator on it. Generators and short runs = low battery. When I had my 1958 F100, if I didn't get it out on a good highway run once a week, by the latter part of the second week, particularly in the winter, it really didn't want to start, even with the original 223 6, with the 312 it was worse. Park it with the back end uphill, let it roll and pop the clutch in 2nd.

I'm hoping to stay fairly stock with it initially. So no Mark 10B nor alternator to start with. That way Ian can see what they looked like back in the day. And while there will be the 12v generator vs the original 6v one, from the outside they are very, very similar.

I'll put the points in that I have and go through the carb if I can get a kit. We probably won't even truly put a battery in it as we don't want to hook up to the electrical system with 12v or we'll blow all the bulbs and maybe fry the gauges. And, the wires themselves are toast. So we will probably just use jumper cables.