Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are great pictures Gary, thanks for sharing! I’m pretty sure that one of the first vehicles I “worked on” was a truck similar to this 😅. I’m the guy on the fender 😉

I remember sitting on a fender like that while my dad worked on a broken off head bolt in our 1948 Pontiac Silver Streak straight 8 (I learned a few new and interesting words).

I’m the guy on the fender

Thanks so much Jonathan and Gary for sharing these wonderful pictures and memories!

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/love-23x23_orig.png

Yes, we are making memories. Some are better than others.

Today we got the hood off, the radiator & support out, the gimbal bearing cover removed, the transmission support disconnected, and the shop crane hooked up to the engine. Oh and the fuel line, electrical connections removed. Plus the starter linkage disconnected from the starter pedal.

But when doing the latter we found a bit of oddity, as shown below. Engineering at its best.

But at the end of the day we didn’t get the engine out. There is something holding it that we’ve not found - yet.

IMG_1836.jpeg.b61b17535f46fcc06d9905af2e0cbffe.jpeg

Yes, we are making memories. Some are better than others.

Today we got the hood off, the radiator & support out, the gimbal bearing cover removed, the transmission support disconnected, and the shop crane hooked up to the engine. Oh and the fuel line, electrical connections removed. Plus the starter linkage disconnected from the starter pedal.

But when doing the latter we found a bit of oddity, as shown below. Engineering at its best.

But at the end of the day we didn’t get the engine out. There is something holding it that we’ve not found - yet.

Got the engine out! Man, was it a struggle!

The first pic shows Ian cutting the last thing holding the engine in - the vacuum line, probably to the wipers. The next pic is proof we got it out.

But it wasn't as easy as I expected. Even though we'd gotten most things loose/off yesterday there were still several today. The exhaust pipe, the throttle linkage, the clutch linkage, and the gimbal bearing. The latter was a particularly tough nut to crack. I don't have a pipe wrench large enough to get the nut off the back of the bearing housing, the one that goes around the torque tube. And my strap wrench wouldn't do the trick. So I used a chisel in the serrations and walked it off. Will need to dress the burrs, but it is still useable.

That got us to the "u-joints" inside the gimbal bearing. There are two bearing caps and they are supposed to have two bolts each. One had only one bolt and the other bolt wasn't tight. The other cap had both bolts but neither were tight. Luckily someone had put the keepers on and that kept the bolts in place.

Got the transmission off, but that was a challenge as the top two bolts go through the ears and into the bell housing. But the bottom two bolts come through the bell housing into the transmission. So the flywheel cover comes off and you peer up into the black abyss with the thing dangling on the shop crane .

That got us to the bell housing which has the same thing - top two bolts through the ears into the block, but the bottom two bolts are from inside into the block, and the head of the bolts is ~1/4" from the flywheel. So obviously the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel have to come off to get to those bolts. :nabble_smiley_oh:

We quit for the day as we have the front chain wrapped around the crank pulley, so it'll have to be shifted so we can rotate the crank and get to the bolts on the pressure plate and then the flywheel.

IMG_1844.jpg.d2495fe27c208ef012423c3ccb7d286f.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg.dd157b534945a5ca957be858ac4ff607.jpg

The first pic shows Ian cutting the last thing holding the engine in - the vacuum line, probably to the wipers. The next pic is proof we got it out.

But it wasn't as easy as I expected. Even though we'd gotten most things loose/off yesterday there were still several today. The exhaust pipe, the throttle linkage, the clutch linkage, and the gimbal bearing. The latter was a particularly tough nut to crack. I don't have a pipe wrench large enough to get the nut off the back of the bearing housing, the one that goes around the torque tube. And my strap wrench wouldn't do the trick. So I used a chisel in the serrations and walked it off. Will need to dress the burrs, but it is still useable.

That got us to the "u-joints" inside the gimbal bearing. There are two bearing caps and they are supposed to have two bolts each. One had only one bolt and the other bolt wasn't tight. The other cap had both bolts but neither were tight. Luckily someone had put the keepers on and that kept the bolts in place.

Got the transmission off, but that was a challenge as the top two bolts go through the ears and into the bell housing. But the bottom two bolts come through the bell housing into the transmission. So the flywheel cover comes off and you peer up into the black abyss with the thing dangling on the shop crane .

That got us to the bell housing which has the same thing - top two bolts through the ears into the block, but the bottom two bolts are from inside into the block, and the head of the bolts is ~1/4" from the flywheel. So obviously the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel have to come off to get to those bolts. :nabble_smiley_oh:

We quit for the day as we have the front chain wrapped around the crank pulley, so it'll have to be shifted so we can rotate the crank and get to the bolts on the pressure plate and then the flywheel.

Great Job you guys!

Good for you, good for him!

Gimbal bearing? Didn't think this was a boat with a mercruiser :nabble_anim_blbl:

Gimbal bearing? Didn't think this was a boat with a mercruiser :nabble_anim_blbl:

I'm not sure that's the right word, but I think it is. The driveshaft is enclosed and at the end of the transmission there's a spherical chamber in which ride the u-joints. And then a spherical piece attaches to that and to the "torque tube", as Chevy called the outside tube of the driveshaft assembly.

full.full

[…]

But it wasn't as easy as I expected. Even though we'd gotten most things loose/off yesterday there were still several today.

Congrats guys!

I suppose you’re taking good notes and pictures to remember how to put it back… fonctional.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

[…]

But it wasn't as easy as I expected. Even though we'd gotten most things loose/off yesterday there were still several today.

Congrats guys!

I suppose you’re taking good notes and pictures to remember how to put it back… fonctional.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Jeff. But no notes, although several pictures.

However it is pretty straightforward. There’s the throttle linkage, but it will probably need to be changed as the 216 gas what I think is a governor and the 235 doesn’t. And there’s the choke cable but the 235 has an automatic choke.

Anyway, it is all pretty simple.