Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

I have an open bottle of an equivalent of High Tack. Open because if I put the lid back on it'll never come off again. The last two times water pump pliers got it off, but it is now misshapen and doesn't want to screw on.

So yes, that's my go-to stuff, both for a sealant as well as to ensure SS fasteners don't gall.

Stuff like that, liquid electrical tape, PVC pipe glue... etc

I just grease the threads, usually with Superlube or dielectric silicone because it doesn't stain.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary and Bill,

You two are a combined wealth of information. Thanks for contributing to the forum! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I have been thinking that myself, just reading the back and forth between Gary and Bill and learning about forgotten technologies that I had no idea about.

I THINK the main reason these older Hotrods/restorations are in a slump is due to lack of know-how. I heard that the 30s-60s restorations were very popular maybe 20 years ago but not anymore.. I have wondered from time to time if Dentside/Bullnose knowledge will go with my generation... sad thought but there is some truth to it maybe.

Hard to predict what will happen. Gary and the other 'elders' have immortalized Bullnose knowledge via this website for the posterity.. so I know bullnoses are covered for the foreseeable future pending parts availability :nabble_smiley_happy:

I have been thinking that myself, just reading the back and forth between Gary and Bill and learning about forgotten technologies that I had no idea about.

I THINK the main reason these older Hotrods/restorations are in a slump is due to lack of know-how. I heard that the 30s-60s restorations were very popular maybe 20 years ago but not anymore.. I have wondered from time to time if Dentside/Bullnose knowledge will go with my generation... sad thought but there is some truth to it maybe.

Hard to predict what will happen. Gary and the other 'elders' have immortalized Bullnose knowledge via this website for the posterity.. so I know bullnoses are covered for the foreseeable future pending parts availability :nabble_smiley_happy:

Parts availability is already an issue, but when things like rings, pistons and bearing shells stop being made for lack of demand, Humpty Dumpty is gonna be in trouble.

Documentation isn't going to help....

Look at the SSME's that are being thrown away with Congress's latest space boondoggle.

And, do you think that the Saturn V stack doesn't have drawings & documentation?

Sure we have better now.

Composite hydrogen tanks and 3D printed combustion chambers rather than TIG welded tanks and furnace brazed retro cooling expansion nozzles.

SpaceX's Super Heavy has more than double the thrust of Saturn V, but once the manufacturing facilities and practical knowledge is gone, it's gone, just like buggy whips or whaling harpoons.

Who's going to knap me an axe head or spear point for tomorrow's hunt?

Parts availability is already an issue, but when things like rings, pistons and bearing shells stop being made for lack of demand, Humpty Dumpty is gonna be in trouble.

Documentation isn't going to help....

Look at the SSME's that are being thrown away with Congress's latest space boondoggle.

And, do you think that the Saturn V stack doesn't have drawings & documentation?

Sure we have better now.

Composite hydrogen tanks and 3D printed combustion chambers rather than TIG welded tanks and furnace brazed retro cooling expansion nozzles.

SpaceX's Super Heavy has more than double the thrust of Saturn V, but once the manufacturing facilities and practical knowledge is gone, it's gone, just like buggy whips or whaling harpoons.

Who's going to knap me an axe head or spear point for tomorrow's hunt?

And then the camshaft/flat tappet lifter crisis which I think is going to be the end of DIY work on these engines , out of fear … how many times am I going to get lucky 🍀

And then the camshaft/flat tappet lifter crisis which I think is going to be the end of DIY work on these engines , out of fear … how many times am I going to get lucky 🍀

That's what happens when you have M&A's by Capital Investment groups or other entities that know nothing and have no passion for anything but profit.

They go with the cheapest offshore vendor, fire everyone who raises alarm or points out the flaws.

It's happened with Comp, Holley, Prestolite, you name it.

Hell, just look at Boeing.

They completely lost all credibility when they moved to Chicago.

There are astronauts stranded on the space station, hundreds of passengers killed in Max8 crashes that were not only avoidable, but vigorously warned about by engineers that built the anti-stall system, but didn't write the software that override the pilots control inputs.

There's even the former QC officer who gave a deposition, but mysteriously 'un-alived' himself in Charleston the night before he was to testify about 787 production flaws.

That's what happens when you have M&A's by Capital Investment groups or other entities that know nothing and have no passion for anything but profit.

They go with the cheapest offshore vendor, fire everyone who raises alarm or points out the flaws.

It's happened with Comp, Holley, Prestolite, you name it.

Hell, just look at Boeing.

They completely lost all credibility when they moved to Chicago.

There are astronauts stranded on the space station, hundreds of passengers killed in Max8 crashes that were not only avoidable, but vigorously warned about by engineers that built the anti-stall system, but didn't write the software that override the pilots control inputs.

There's even the former QC officer who gave a deposition, but mysteriously 'un-alived' himself in Charleston the night before he was to testify about 787 production flaws.

We got the tires and wheels on the truck and got it into the shop yesterday, which was my goal for the 2 hours we had.

But that makes it sound easier that it was. It rolls easily on the pavement, but not in the grass. So we used Big Blue and his winch to move it in the yard from the back to the front of the shop.

And getting out out from under the car port and lined up between the shop and the fence was an issue as we had to make at least 5 full-lock moves - with no power steering for Ian, the driver, and only old-man motive power.

Today the plan is to remove the hood and whatever else needs to come off to get the old engine out, and then see if we can actually get it out.

IMG_1713.jpg.1cb662f361ac2c30f596ef1a0d492e2b.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg.ecc797b4c0a5624bff7a09f54c9949fe.jpg

We got the tires and wheels on the truck and got it into the shop yesterday, which was my goal for the 2 hours we had.

But that makes it sound easier that it was. It rolls easily on the pavement, but not in the grass. So we used Big Blue and his winch to move it in the yard from the back to the front of the shop.

And getting out out from under the car port and lined up between the shop and the fence was an issue as we had to make at least 5 full-lock moves - with no power steering for Ian, the driver, and only old-man motive power.

Today the plan is to remove the hood and whatever else needs to come off to get the old engine out, and then see if we can actually get it out.

Teamwork makes the dream work!

I'm responding, but I'm sure the two of you are quite busy!

Hope today is as productive as the last! :nabble_smiley_good:

Ian sure looks pleased in the last picture.

Making memories, this is awesome! :nabble_anim_claps:

These are great pictures Gary, thanks for sharing! I’m pretty sure that one of the first vehicles I “worked on” was a truck similar to this 😅. I’m the guy on the fender 😉

IMG_0114.thumb.jpeg.e077d68e8fce32137a4706c1a5bd252c.jpeg