Bullnose Forums

1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Jim how DARE YOU! You ought to be BANNED for that! :nabble_smiley_angry:

Time for an update. My favorite grandson, Ian McCloud, is due back mid-July. So I had to get busy finding an engine. And today we picked one up in Edmond, OK. It is a 235 out of a 1955 Chevy pickup and comes with the starter, generator, and 3 carburetors. Unfortunately it has a flexplate instead of a flywheel, but a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate should be easy to find.

The guy I got it from bought it for his 1941 Chevy but sold the car before installing it. He said the engine had been pulled out of the truck in favor of a V8 and was running well at that time. It has been stored indoors and he's squirted oil in the cylinders a couple of times to ensure there is no rust. And it can be turned over by hand.

I want Ian, whom I'm tagging in this post, to be involved in pulling the old engine and installing the new one, so I have a few things to work out. Like this one uses mounts on the frame and the old engine mounts in front. But I'm told that the front mount will bolt to this engine. So I need to work through all of the issues and be ready when my buddy gets here. :nabble_anim_jump:

New_Engine_Is_Home.jpg.c5f5a14a57815d7dd2547d61c8582124.jpg

Time for an update. My favorite grandson, Ian McCloud, is due back mid-July. So I had to get busy finding an engine. And today we picked one up in Edmond, OK. It is a 235 out of a 1955 Chevy pickup and comes with the starter, generator, and 3 carburetors. Unfortunately it has a flexplate instead of a flywheel, but a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate should be easy to find.

The guy I got it from bought it for his 1941 Chevy but sold the car before installing it. He said the engine had been pulled out of the truck in favor of a V8 and was running well at that time. It has been stored indoors and he's squirted oil in the cylinders a couple of times to ensure there is no rust. And it can be turned over by hand.

I want Ian, whom I'm tagging in this post, to be involved in pulling the old engine and installing the new one, so I have a few things to work out. Like this one uses mounts on the frame and the old engine mounts in front. But I'm told that the front mount will bolt to this engine. So I need to work through all of the issues and be ready when my buddy gets here. :nabble_anim_jump:

I'm glad to hear that Ian continues to be involved.

He's young, impressionable and enthusiastic.

What more could you ask for?

Don't know, and haven't heard about the other half of that twinship, but I do think of her as well.

How is Janey doing?

That's a pretty big scare.

Gary, the mount is part of the timing cover on the older engines and was used at least through 1957 cars, and possibly trucks. A couple of items, the cam gear if I remember correctly is phenolic (it's been years since I built Sonny Tesh's 235 for his 1954 Corvette.) Carburetor should be a Rochester B from a truck, car would be a BC, hot air choke. If you can find an iron case Powerglide they had a torque tube driveline through 1954 I believe.

Gary, the mount is part of the timing cover on the older engines and was used at least through 1957 cars, and possibly trucks. A couple of items, the cam gear if I remember correctly is phenolic (it's been years since I built Sonny Tesh's 235 for his 1954 Corvette.) Carburetor should be a Rochester B from a truck, car would be a BC, hot air choke. If you can find an iron case Powerglide they had a torque tube driveline through 1954 I believe.

Jim - Isla isn't really interested in cars or trucks, although she's driven Big Blue as much as Ian has. But she's into art and Janey is looking at art classes while they are here.

Speaking of Janey, she is getting stronger day by day. Her therapy is 3 times a week and they are increasing the minutes on the various exercises by a minute each day. She made the 2+ hour trip each way today and isn't wiped out tonight, which is an improvement.

Bill - Yes, that's what I've read - that the mount from the 216 in the truck will bolt onto the 235. But apparently a 55 truck had side mounts as this one does.

As for the transmission, Ian has driven Big Blue a number of times so we are hoping to stay with the 3-speed manual. But I do need to check it out to make sure it is good.

And I'll check the carb to see what is on it and what he sent me home with. But that's not likely to happen for a few days as things are getting really busy right now.

Jim - Isla isn't really interested in cars or trucks, although she's driven Big Blue as much as Ian has. But she's into art and Janey is looking at art classes while they are here.

Speaking of Janey, she is getting stronger day by day. Her therapy is 3 times a week and they are increasing the minutes on the various exercises by a minute each day. She made the 2+ hour trip each way today and isn't wiped out tonight, which is an improvement.

Bill - Yes, that's what I've read - that the mount from the 216 in the truck will bolt onto the 235. But apparently a 55 truck had side mounts as this one does.

As for the transmission, Ian has driven Big Blue a number of times so we are hoping to stay with the 3-speed manual. But I do need to check it out to make sure it is good.

And I'll check the carb to see what is on it and what he sent me home with. But that's not likely to happen for a few days as things are getting really busy right now.

I didn't mean to say that Isla was into trucks, just that you hadn't mentioned her, or what she IS up to, while the boys play in the Garagemahal.

Glad to hear that Janey is getting better.

I'm still owed a brownie! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I didn't mean to say that Isla was into trucks, just that you hadn't mentioned her, or what she IS up to, while the boys play in the Garagemahal.

Glad to hear that Janey is getting better.

I'm still owed a brownie! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Didn't take it that way about Isla. Was just explaining what she IS into.

But they & TJmac leave next week for Honduras for 10 days. TJ will be hosting medical clinics with teams from the States, and the twins will be "corralling", in their words, the kids there. Basically following the guide that they helped to write.

As for the brownie, Janey is making some on Monday for the sewing meeting on Tuesday. I'll see if I can get you one. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Wow, the engine looks great! I see that it has a flex-plate instead of a fly wheel. I don’t know the difference between the two. Could you explain what a fly wheel is, and how it is different from a flex plate. I’m excited to see you this July. See you soon.

Wow, the engine looks great! I see that it has a flex-plate instead of a fly wheel. I don’t know the difference between the two. Could you explain what a fly wheel is, and how it is different from a flex plate. I’m excited to see you this July. See you soon.

Ian, a flywheel is a large generally iron or steel piece somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4" thick that helps smooth out the engine pulses. A flex plate is much thinner, frequently with open sections as it has either a torque converter or fluid coupling bolted to it.

The mass of fluif in the attached coupling or converter provides the needed smoothing of the engine pulses.