Bullnose Forums

Mysterious case of increasing oil capacity 🤨

I always hope for the simplest issues. How does the dipstick tube attach to the oil pan on a 300 ? Threaded flare fit ? Or is it like a press fit ? Wondering if it’s popped out any

Jonathan, when you checked the oil level just prior to the oil change, was the engine cold and had the truck been sitting overnight?

You had to add additional oil to obtain a "safe" level. Although not likely, perhaps the new oil jug [5 quarts?] was not full and was not noticed. I would be tempted to drain all the oil into a clean container and measure the volume. Most likely, about 1 quart will remain in the filter.

Once filled with the correct amount and you feel comfortable with the dipstick reading, you might consider doing the following to calibrate the dipstick to your engine:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td37680

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan, when you checked the oil level just prior to the oil change, was the engine cold and had the truck been sitting overnight?

You had to add additional oil to obtain a "safe" level. Although not likely, perhaps the new oil jug [5 quarts?] was not full and was not noticed. I would be tempted to drain all the oil into a clean container and measure the volume. Most likely, about 1 quart will remain in the filter.

Once filled with the correct amount and you feel comfortable with the dipstick reading, you might consider doing the following to calibrate the dipstick to your engine:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td37680

Thanks David, when I checked the oil before draining it the engine was cold and it had been sitting overnight. I do top off the oil from time to time as the engine is old and leaky so my only point of reference is the 5 qts that went from my drain pan back into the empty jug.

If I had a clean enough way to drain it and measure it I would have done that before leaving, but I didn’t. This is also the time of year for wind in the desert, making oil pours a messy and approximate process.

I guess I will probably just wait until my next change to see what my volume looks like. The oil level hasn’t changed and still looks clean.

The engine got quite a workout on the 200 miles home. It pulled the heavy trailer of truck parts up the mountain to Flagstaff at 7,000’ then back down to Golden valley. I drove in 2nd gear (27mph) and 3rd gear (45mph) pretty much the entire time. That load was a big ask for a F150/straight six. It was fine, just s-l-o-w…

Thanks David, when I checked the oil before draining it the engine was cold and it had been sitting overnight. I do top off the oil from time to time as the engine is old and leaky so my only point of reference is the 5 qts that went from my drain pan back into the empty jug.

If I had a clean enough way to drain it and measure it I would have done that before leaving, but I didn’t. This is also the time of year for wind in the desert, making oil pours a messy and approximate process.

I guess I will probably just wait until my next change to see what my volume looks like. The oil level hasn’t changed and still looks clean.

The engine got quite a workout on the 200 miles home. It pulled the heavy trailer of truck parts up the mountain to Flagstaff at 7,000’ then back down to Golden valley. I drove in 2nd gear (27mph) and 3rd gear (45mph) pretty much the entire time. That load was a big ask for a F150/straight six. It was fine, just s-l-o-w…

And the big six banger just smiled and asked, "is that all you have?" :nabble_anim_handshake:

I think of this as I just recently took down a 300. the lifter area was so full of flaky layers of old cooked oil that I practically had to follow the pushrods to where they went into the crud. about as clogged as I have seen. when I dropped it off at the machine shop it went straight into the tank. it was no surprise that the cam was spalled and all lifters starting to mushroom. I tapped them out the bottom to avoid damage and put them right in the recycle bin.

This was mine before the hot tank:

Head_Sludge.jpg.5089949cecab3b9a57b242dd32dddb7f.jpg

Jonathan - That is REALLY a WORKOUT! But I'll bet the 300 shrugged it off.

Chris - That is UGLY! You can see why when it comes loose things get plugged up. Right, David?

Yikes Chris, that’s gross! I don’t think mine has any of that, as I did replace the gaskets on the valve cover and lifter gallery when I bought it and they were decently clean… and I’ve driven it regularly and kept up with oil changes since…

Gary, David, the big six had no issues pulling the load it was just slow and happy. My only cause for sweaty palms was going downhill. The trailer brakes were barely doing anything and the F150 brakes get hot FAST with a load like that. Also the steering on that truck is pretty loose now, and rear weight does not help. Luckily I am able to just gear down… much appreciation for those close ratio gears of the diesel T19 🙂

Chris - That is UGLY! You can see why when it comes loose things get plugged up. Right, David?

Mine was no where near to that condition, but did cause a problem, so I am glad the engine in the photo was thoroughly cleaned.

Gary, David, the big six had no issues pulling the load it was just slow and happy. 🙂

Ever wonder why the 302/5.0L was never offered in anything larger than the F250, but the 300/4.9L was offered as the base engine all the way up to the F600? :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, David, the big six had no issues pulling the load it was just slow and happy. 🙂

Ever wonder why the 302/5.0L was never offered in anything larger than the F250, but the 300/4.9L was offered as the base engine all the way up to the F600? :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't question success.

We should all be mature enough to know why.

I had a '65 Powerwagon Mason dump with the venerable Dodge slant six.

That thing never needed to stop and rest, just like this here Burro.

Try that with some high strung througbred!