Bullnose Forums

Ford 9" Pinion Seal leaking

Just got done adjusting the backlash. For some reason it was at 35000!!!! Brought it back down to 12000, checked it all around

Pre backlash adjustment the gear pattern was pushed out all the way to the outside of the ring gear (it was in the center of the ring gear tooth, but the contact area between ring and pinion was small... almost barely riding and thats why the slapping noise)

The gear pattern looks a little better after the backlash adjustment. The drive side looks good, I am unable to see a pattern on the coast side, it’s almost like it rides the entire way evenly

I'm patterning my 10.25 right now.

I have 0.008 backlash and what appears to be good pattern on drive and. back drive sides.

Going to try to drive it and see how hot it gets...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm patterning my 10.25 right now.

I have 0.008 backlash and what appears to be good pattern on drive and. back drive sides.

Going to try to drive it and see how hot it gets...

That seems like a good test. I haven't considered that.

Point and shoot with a thermometer at the pumpkin ? I need to do the same. I guess 200F is the max I'm supposed to see ? Wish I had checked that before tearing into mine :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

After I dropped the backlash back to spec on mine, it drives well. The clunking has reduced definitely.