Bullnose Forums

Ford 9" Pinion Seal leaking

They may or may not, but, brake cleaner or similar to de-oil the pinion and ring gear where they mesh and use a paint daub or grease pencil, even a crayon and mark one pinion tooth and the flanking ring gear teeth.

You will have to pull the hogshead out of the axle to do this.

The Ford 9" is one of the simplest rear ends to set up... ever!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They may or may not, but, brake cleaner or similar to de-oil the pinion and ring gear where they mesh and use a paint daub or grease pencil, even a crayon and mark one pinion tooth and the flanking ring gear teeth.

You will have to pull the hogshead out of the axle to do this.

OK thank you. I just want to make sure I understand. I am just a guy that has learned enough to put things back just the way I took them apart.. so far (Green to Green at all cost ) :nabble_smiley_blush:

What you are recommending here is

1) to ensure with paint that the pattern on the ring gear looks like a 'football' to ensure pinion depth is correct.

2) Timing???

I still worry that I have not understood the concept of hunting and timing well.

My understanding (so far) is that all teeth are the same size on Ring/Pinion so ideally they are able to ride any which way. But on gear ratios that are non or partial-hunting, there is a certain wear pattern / marriage made on certain gear tooth combinations over time that requires you to keep them married forever.

Currently I do not have any noises or anything else acting up on the rear end so I assume the ring and pinion are happy together.

Now if there are no timing marks, Can I possibly mark the pinion 'shaft' / pinion housing / ring gear housing / ring gear so I can put back the pinion gear exactly the way I pulled it out ?

Edit: Dumb question. Can I replace the crush sleeve without removing the pinion gear housing/assembly? Looks like if I pull the seal and the front bearing, the crush sleeve should come out... If so, maybe that's all that's needed for now.

OK I found 3.5 is semi-hunting

https://www.diyford.com/ford-axle-ring-pinion-assembly-guide/

I guess I am supposed to find timing marks on the gears... but they don't always have one? :nabble_anim_crazy:

Thank you. In the process of starting to rebuild two 9" limited slip diffs, and never knew about the "timing" of certain gears mentioned in that article. I'll look for marks on mine - both 3.50s.

Thank you. In the process of starting to rebuild two 9" limited slip diffs, and never knew about the "timing" of certain gears mentioned in that article. I'll look for marks on mine - both 3.50s.

Keep us posted on how that goes!!

I wish I had the time to do a full rebuild. I have many other things to be addressed on the Bronco, including brand new carpet, upholstery, air conditioning, brakes. The bronco should lead a low-rpm peaceful life, going to grocery stores, workplace, school drop-offs so I think I will get by for now if I can address this leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us posted on how that goes!!

I wish I had the time to do a full rebuild. I have many other things to be addressed on the Bronco, including brand new carpet, upholstery, air conditioning, brakes. The bronco should lead a low-rpm peaceful life, going to grocery stores, workplace, school drop-offs so I think I will get by for now if I can address this leak.

Took out the Yoke. Good news is the preload seemed to be in spec. About ~15 in lbs and no play. Front bearing came out and looked really good.

The yoke shaft is all scored up and the old seal looks jacked up. I don’t know what could explain that seal deformation.

ED44AE6A-A2CC-4CCE-8AC0-000A412C31E7.jpeg.14458f91d4b40ae18add29cbcf286c02.jpeg

E6513D0D-7DC7-4E53-9019-FBFCD4A752F5.jpeg.3c924a966ee1e5ef944059e6d48bc27e.jpeg

87530A67-BE9A-47F8-884B-9FC1EC009FA6.jpeg.cdae2e3aacee4be166f104f4b6679238.jpeg

Took out the Yoke. Good news is the preload seemed to be in spec. About ~15 in lbs and no play. Front bearing came out and looked really good.

The yoke shaft is all scored up and the old seal looks jacked up. I don’t know what could explain that seal deformation.

the seal also looks split in one picture. but the yoke looks to be grooved. is there a yoke repair sleeve available or possibly a new yoke? a new seal may not mate to a grooved yoke.

the seal also looks split in one picture. but the yoke looks to be grooved. is there a yoke repair sleeve available or possibly a new yoke? a new seal may not mate to a grooved yoke.

These 2 look like good options

Sleeve

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=257669&cc=1105614&pt=13976&jsn=985&optionchoice=0-0-1-1

Yoke (I need to confirm my U joints are 1310)

This is literally the only one I've found that looks like mine!!

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ford-9-Inch-Pinion-Yoke-1310-Flange/productinfo/22280/

These 2 look like good options

Sleeve

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=257669&cc=1105614&pt=13976&jsn=985&optionchoice=0-0-1-1

Yoke (I need to confirm my U joints are 1310)

This is literally the only one I've found that looks like mine!!

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ford-9-Inch-Pinion-Yoke-1310-Flange/productinfo/22280/

the yoke does seem reasonable but I have used seal sleeves with excellent results and may very well be using another soon as my 8.8 seems to be weeping and I'm considering changing gears at the same time.

the yoke does seem reasonable but I have used seal sleeves with excellent results and may very well be using another soon as my 8.8 seems to be weeping and I'm considering changing gears at the same time.

I just ordered the sleeve on Amazon as it will get here pretty quickly.. Rockauto's shipping usually kills it for me.

I agree that Yoke is priced well.

It's amazing metal can be pitted like that from friction/heat.

The previous owner (kid) went mudding a couple of times. I am sure the seal took a beating then.