Bullnose Forums

Ford 9" Pinion Seal leaking

The pinion seal on my 78 Bronco's 9 inch rear end is leaking profusely. I am quite sure the pinion bearing preload is not sufficient and there is too much play in the bearing which is why it is leaking.

I have no idea if what is inside is a crush sleeve or solid spacer setting the pre-load.

I've ordered a "Stainless Steel Pinion Yoke Wrench" Jig to hold the yoke while adjusting the pinion nut

My plan is to pull the pinion housing/pinion gear and install new crush sleeve, set the preload, install new seal, install the pinion housing back and hopefully call it a day. If the housing is shimmed, my plan is to put it back the way I found it with the same shimming. Looking for best course of action/suggestions.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the gear ratio you may need to be sure it is still indexed to the ring gear correctly.

Ford had three different classes of ring and pinion, hunting where every tooth on the pinion hits every tooth on the ring gear 3.89:1 was a good example, it was actually 3.888888 as far as you want to go :1, non-hunting, 3.00:1 is a non-hunting set where every tooth on the pinion hits the same 3 teeth on the ring gear, and partial non-hunting where there is a cyclic pattern and every pinion tooth hits the same group of ring gear teeth.

If you have a hunting set, then it doesn't matter where the pinion teeth land, the set is already run in, if you have a non-hunting or partial non-hunting and get the gears "out of time" you will probably have a lot of noise and may end up destroying the gear set.

Depending on the gear ratio you may need to be sure it is still indexed to the ring gear correctly.

Ford had three different classes of ring and pinion, hunting where every tooth on the pinion hits every tooth on the ring gear 3.89:1 was a good example, it was actually 3.888888 as far as you want to go :1, non-hunting, 3.00:1 is a non-hunting set where every tooth on the pinion hits the same 3 teeth on the ring gear, and partial non-hunting where there is a cyclic pattern and every pinion tooth hits the same group of ring gear teeth.

If you have a hunting set, then it doesn't matter where the pinion teeth land, the set is already run in, if you have a non-hunting or partial non-hunting and get the gears "out of time" you will probably have a lot of noise and may end up destroying the gear set.

These are the Pearl's of wisdom I've come to expect of this forum!

Thank you, Sir!

i re read this three times. I believe this explains this in as simple of a way possible. although I have not heard it referred to as "hunting". maybe that is my daily "learn". I call it sync because it makes sense to me.

i re read this three times. I believe this explains this in as simple of a way possible. although I have not heard it referred to as "hunting". maybe that is my daily "learn". I call it sync because it makes sense to me.

The terms I used are right out of my 1964 Falcon/Comet FSM where I first learned about Ford rear ends (Falcon had the 260 V8 and an 8" rear end).

Thanks Jim!! Did you mean that the pipe wrench could be used to hold the Yoke ? If so, the Jig I ordered would do the job, but I do have one of those wrenches already :nabble_smiley_blush:

Thanks Bill! I had no idea about hunting vs. non/partial-hunting. I have the H2B Limited Slip axle with 3.5 gear ratio. Curious to know what that axle ratio is considered.

Thanks Jim!! Did you mean that the pipe wrench could be used to hold the Yoke ? If so, the Jig I ordered would do the job, but I do have one of those wrenches already :nabble_smiley_blush:

Thanks Bill! I had no idea about hunting vs. non/partial-hunting. I have the H2B Limited Slip axle with 3.5 gear ratio. Curious to know what that axle ratio is considered.

These are the terms I've always known... 🤷‍♂️

OK I found 3.5 is semi-hunting

https://www.diyford.com/ford-axle-ring-pinion-assembly-guide/

I guess I am supposed to find timing marks on the gears... but they don't always have one? :nabble_anim_crazy:

OK I found 3.5 is semi-hunting

https://www.diyford.com/ford-axle-ring-pinion-assembly-guide/

I guess I am supposed to find timing marks on the gears... but they don't always have one? :nabble_anim_crazy:

They may or may not, but, brake cleaner or similar to de-oil the pinion and ring gear where they mesh and use a paint daub or grease pencil, even a crayon and mark one pinion tooth and the flanking ring gear teeth.

You will have to pull the hogshead out of the axle to do this.