Bullnose Forums

Fuel pump failures

It doesn't really function the same way a pump submerged in the fuel does.

It takes a LONG time for a mechanical pump with no prime to suck from 16' away

Ok I get what you mean now. A completely dry system. But like you said, if you actually drive your truck, you don't have to worry about things like that.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I get what you mean now. A completely dry system. But like you said, if you actually drive your truck, you don't have to worry about things like that.

Winter gas in summer will leave your bowls dry in three days...

You need to drive it, not stroke yourself over it.

Winter gas in summer will leave your bowls dry in three days...

You need to drive it, not stroke yourself over it.

many have gotten spoiled by efi and most below a certain age don't even have the concept of carburetors. but understand this basic. a carburetor is a vent! it cannot not be a vent. a well-ventilated vent. with some vents more restricted and some less. whereas fuel injection is a closed system, at the engine anyway. there is still a safety vent at the tank. I leave my 250 at the shop and its 351m with 2bbl. it takes a few turns to start the engine if it has been sitting a couple weeks. and a couple restarts. we have a part timer who keeps asking what's wrong with it. he is baffled when I say not a damn thing.

many have gotten spoiled by efi and most below a certain age don't even have the concept of carburetors. but understand this basic. a carburetor is a vent! it cannot not be a vent. a well-ventilated vent. with some vents more restricted and some less. whereas fuel injection is a closed system, at the engine anyway. there is still a safety vent at the tank. I leave my 250 at the shop and its 351m with 2bbl. it takes a few turns to start the engine if it has been sitting a couple weeks. and a couple restarts. we have a part timer who keeps asking what's wrong with it. he is baffled when I say not a damn thing.

Well, technically (simplified) a carburetor is a venturi, where increased velocity results in lower pressure, which sucks fuel out of the bowl.

Hell, WAY back in the day it was nothing but a tray of fuel, heated on the bottom and the intake port sucked the fumes off the top.

Well, technically (simplified) a carburetor is a venturi, where increased velocity results in lower pressure, which sucks fuel out of the bowl.

Hell, WAY back in the day it was nothing but a tray of fuel, heated on the bottom and the intake port sucked the fumes off the top.

I was going to say just that.. :nabble_smiley_blush:'

I have been obsessed with the Venturi effect ever since I learned about it. I know recently Dyson has made a big deal about it, but it has been around waay longer.

Until a few years ago I did not know anything about carburetors. When I found out the working principle of carburetor was based on "Venturi effect" there has been no turning back.

I was going to say just that.. :nabble_smiley_blush:'

I have been obsessed with the Venturi effect ever since I learned about it. I know recently Dyson has made a big deal about it, but it has been around waay longer.

Until a few years ago I did not know anything about carburetors. When I found out the working principle of carburetor was based on "Venturi effect" there has been no turning back.

Hence 2-V or 4-V,.. even the venerable 1-V Carter YF (Aluminium)

Wait until you catch up with Bernoulli's principal! 👍

Hence 2-V or 4-V,.. even the venerable 1-V Carter YF (Aluminium)

Wait until you catch up with Bernoulli's principal! 👍

both correct and incorrect:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

it is a venturi when running. not running it is only a vent.

Enlighten me, Jim...

Essentially Bernoulli's principal provides a basis for venturi effect.

As height decreases, velocity increases and pressure drops, following the limits of thermodynamics..(restrict a pipe and velocity at that point speeds up)

It interesting to play with and experiment.

Essentially Bernoulli's principal provides a basis for venturi effect.

As height decreases, velocity increases and pressure drops, following the limits of thermodynamics..(restrict a pipe and velocity at that point speeds up)

It interesting to play with and experiment.

Same as acoustics. Pitch would also increase.