Bullnose Forums

Bad News...

Thanks for this link. It will help a lot with my rebuild. Right now, I'm just waiting to get the truck back from insurance. Then I'll do a tare down to see what needs replaced.

If you dont mind who do you have for insurance?

If one of the classic car ones was it agreed value?

If you dont want to say that is OK too.

BTW yes I do have classic insurance and agreed value and I get to keep the truck if anything happens to it.

Dave ----

Assume you are with Hagerty and have the "Cherished Salvage" coverage. I had that too but got rid of it because it would only be of use if it was my fault and gets questionable if there is 50-50 responsibility. It's not a bad deal though if you are in possession of a high $ vehicle with sentimental value.

Thanks for this link. It will help a lot with my rebuild. Right now, I'm just waiting to get the truck back from insurance. Then I'll do a tare down to see what needs replaced.

No frame damage is a big deal. I have a parts truck I bought off salvage auction which had less damage than yours strictly based on pictures but it has frame damage. The part of the frame that ties into the front bumper is tweaked to the point where it is not possible to open the door fully on the other side :nabble_smiley_scared:

Man!

I'm so sorry to see this. You have a beautiful truck. 🤩

You just painted it in the fall, right?

But I know that even a bent fender is gonna total one of these trucks.

They're just not worth much unless you have agreed value insurance and all the receipts.

I tow wrecks, from hoopdies to Lambos.

I'm putting a bunch of parts in my rear axle.

My truck is assessed and taxed at $400. (Like 1/4 the cost of parts for a 10.25" rebuild)

It's a 37 year old pickup with over 450,000 miles.

People that flee the scene should go to jail and never see a license again.

I encounter it multiple times a week.

Cops should be on that crap, instead of hassling some panhandler at the ramp.

If you dont mind who do you have for insurance?

If one of the classic car ones was it agreed value?

If you dont want to say that is OK too.

BTW yes I do have classic insurance and agreed value and I get to keep the truck if anything happens to it.

Dave ----

I have USAA insurance and so far, they are not screwing me. Still time for that to change though. They actually towed it away to assess the damage and value. I'm shocked that they gave be a value of $7000 for it. If I were to surrender the car to them, this would be the check they cut me. Since I'm keeping it, they are going to subtract the value they would get at auction for it and send me the difference. Problem is, they don't know how to assess an auction value since it predates the 17 digit VIN. Fingers crossed, I don't get hosed too bad.

Assume you are with Hagerty and have the "Cherished Salvage" coverage. I had that too but got rid of it because it would only be of use if it was my fault and gets questionable if there is 50-50 responsibility. It's not a bad deal though if you are in possession of a high $ vehicle with sentimental value.

Off-Topic: there is a catch with Hagerty in that (if memory serves) there are very strict rules on vehicle usage. Mainly, it's no good if the vehicle is anything more than a toy, investment, or show vehicle. Since I daily drive mine, no good. Maybe not as restrictive as "historic" license plate rules (at least in IN), but something to consider.

I have USAA insurance and so far, they are not screwing me. Still time for that to change though. They actually towed it away to assess the damage and value. I'm shocked that they gave be a value of $7000 for it. If I were to surrender the car to them, this would be the check they cut me. Since I'm keeping it, they are going to subtract the value they would get at auction for it and send me the difference. Problem is, they don't know how to assess an auction value since it predates the 17 digit VIN. Fingers crossed, I don't get hosed too bad.

Bit of an update: USAA is totaling the truck but allowing me to retain ownership. My new cash settlement is $4600 and I keep the truck. I'm pleased as I don't think it will take much more than $2k to rebuild. After I fix it, I can apply for a rebuilt title from my state. Truck should be returning to me later today.

Bit of an update: USAA is totaling the truck but allowing me to retain ownership. My new cash settlement is $4600 and I keep the truck. I'm pleased as I don't think it will take much more than $2k to rebuild. After I fix it, I can apply for a rebuilt title from my state. Truck should be returning to me later today.

That is good news. Bummer you have to do the work, but at least you'll have the money to do it with.