Bullnose Forums

Clutch mystery… what happened here??? 😳

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's like the last installer got his bolts at lowes. arp might be worth the wait.

ARP doesn't have the right ones....

But like I said, place bolts are available.

The link above, or the local Cat/Deere dealer definitely has something that could be trimmed to fit.

Cutting a bit off the end didn't hurt too much, and held up over time

Ooof.

G-8 and normal (not Belleville) washers as spacers?

I hope the very best with this driveline.

Yup, regular stamped washers… some with that little circular “bite” mark punched out of one side.

The more I read about this is the better I understand what is needed here… and appreciate the design of place bolts. Hopefully there is one available in the appropriate size.

ARP doesn't have the right ones....

But like I said, place bolts are available.

The link above, or the local Cat/Deere dealer definitely has something that could be trimmed to fit.

Cutting a bit off the end didn't hurt too much, and held up over time

The AMK place bolts are on order… my only concern is whether or not the shoulder might be too tall for the flywheel thickness, but we shall see… in my opinion the bolts supplied by the flywheel manufacturer didn’t have enough shoulder.

The AMK place bolts are on order… my only concern is whether or not the shoulder might be too tall for the flywheel thickness, but we shall see… in my opinion the bolts supplied by the flywheel manufacturer didn’t have enough shoulder.

I'm sorry, they only show a generic bolt photo, so I can't scale it.

But SAE calls for 1 3/8 of thread so hopefully losing 1/2 from a 2 5/8 bolt gives you 7/8 " thread and 1 1/4" of shank.

I'm sorry, they only show a generic bolt photo, so I can't scale it.

But SAE calls for 1 3/8 of thread so hopefully losing 1/2 from a 2 5/8 bolt gives you 7/8 " thread and 1 1/4" of shank.

That’s pretty tight at just 1/8” less than the flywheel thickness, but that should be enough if the bolts conform to SAE convention. There is also a 10-hole spacer on the DMF that would buy me a thin washer worth of thickness. I will find out when they get here…

That’s pretty tight at just 1/8” less than the flywheel thickness, but that should be enough if the bolts conform to SAE convention. There is also a 10-hole spacer on the DMF that would buy me a thin washer worth of thickness. I will find out when they get here…

Best of luck to you Jonathan! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I'm sure Cat or Deere has a bolt for you, but I don't have their back catalogues, and I'm well aware that time is of the essence.

https://wilsongarner.com/what-are-place-bolts-used-for/

Best of luck to you Jonathan! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

I'm sure Cat or Deere has a bolt for you, but I don't have their back catalogues, and I'm well aware that time is of the essence.

https://wilsongarner.com/what-are-place-bolts-used-for/

On Friday I received both the AMK place bolts and the bolts from Russ’ Repair. The shoulder size was SAE just like you said they might be. I trimmed them 1/2” with an angle grinder cut off wheel and used the factory 10 hole spacer “just in case”. I did use medium strength thread lock also, because the holes in the crank flange go all the way through into the crank case and this is recommended to seal against oil finding its way into the clutch.

A huge thank you to Jim for sharing your knowledge about fasteners and providing the link to AMK. That is a very good company to buy from.

IMG_9124.jpeg.3d70da17729485d6c338ab074b772a89.jpeg

On another note, I was running errands in Bullhead City and stopped by the Salvation Army thrift store and found this… I know, it is for motorcycles but I bet it will also lift a ZF pretty nicely. (And it was $50!)

IMG_9121.jpeg.6621dd28ec995f97b99cb4e0e15284de.jpeg

On Friday I received both the AMK place bolts and the bolts from Russ’ Repair. The shoulder size was SAE just like you said they might be. I trimmed them 1/2” with an angle grinder cut off wheel and used the factory 10 hole spacer “just in case”. I did use medium strength thread lock also, because the holes in the crank flange go all the way through into the crank case and this is recommended to seal against oil finding its way into the clutch.

A huge thank you to Jim for sharing your knowledge about fasteners and providing the link to AMK. That is a very good company to buy from.

On another note, I was running errands in Bullhead City and stopped by the Salvation Army thrift store and found this… I know, it is for motorcycles but I bet it will also lift a ZF pretty nicely. (And it was $50!)

Well done, Jonathan! :nabble_anim_claps:

I'm so glad this is worked out for you, Jonathan!

My autism may make me very pedantic and detail-oriented, but in this case I think it's important.

Place bolts are "The Right Stuff"

That motorcycle lift is going to be a godsend putting the transmission under your truck! :nabble_smiley_good: