Bullnose Forums

Clutch mystery… what happened here??? 😳

I took the clutch out of the water hauler (6.9 IDI transplant) and saw this:

IMG_9026.jpeg.8dbdf4e5771b256dc9f9e085b605ce39.jpeg

IMG_9027.jpeg.1ec4d18d6c82f183d87135e7cd314016.jpeg

I am wondering if the friction disc was installed backwards? The other thing is this is a 6 bolt T-19 flywheel and pressure plate with a SMF style ZF friction disc. I’ve read this is fine to do as long as you order the 11” and not the 11.75” disc… but maybe that information is false. Any thoughts? The friction material is almost worn to the rivets but I still wouldn’t think that would allow the fasteners to contact like that 😬

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that the clutch plate/friction disc was installed backwards, as you suggested. The interference has apparently caused slippage and the flywheel looks to have been badly heated - and may be ruined.

If it isn't installed backwards then maybe the mismatch of parts caused the interference?

I'm guessing that the clutch plate/friction disc was installed backwards, as you suggested. The interference has apparently caused slippage and the flywheel looks to have been badly heated - and may be ruined.

If it isn't installed backwards then maybe the mismatch of parts caused the interference?

sure looks like a flipped disc to me.

Wow, that must have made a heck of a racket!

Why is one flange bolt missing?

Why are they G8 and not place bolts, like factory?

It does look like the disc was put inside out.

I guess Florida Man must have installed that clutch 😅. I did get the engine to run and it sounded good, but I never drove it so I don’t know about the noise. Maybe the guy thought it was really bad rattle from going to a SMF? It’s hard to imagine someone leaving that and driving it.

Naturally I’m going to replace all. I’m not wanting to cheap-out on the clutch for a water hauler that will live with a 1,050 gallon tank on its back. The 8 bolt 7.3 SMF has a 11.75” diameter option. I will take all I can get.

I guess Florida Man must have installed that clutch 😅. I did get the engine to run and it sounded good, but I never drove it so I don’t know about the noise. Maybe the guy thought it was really bad rattle from going to a SMF? It’s hard to imagine someone leaving that and driving it.

Naturally I’m going to replace all. I’m not wanting to cheap-out on the clutch for a water hauler that will live with a 1,050 gallon tank on its back. The 8 bolt 7.3 SMF has a 11.75” diameter option. I will take all I can get.

👍

Life's blood is nothing to screw around with.

ETA: I bought factory flywheel place bolts from u-haul's eBay storefront.

Lemme see if they still have them

👍

Life's blood is nothing to screw around with.

ETA: I bought factory flywheel place bolts from u-haul's eBay storefront.

Lemme see if they still have them

I've been all through uhaulteuckpartsonline and don't see the flywheel bolts anymore. 😕

Though I did find a lot of 10 pressure plate bolts, and a whole bunch of E4OD stuff, like shift correction kits and pumps.

There's still a bit of Bullnose goodness, but I think a lot of that went away when they were selling pallets of NOS for $100 each.

I've been all through uhaulteuckpartsonline and don't see the flywheel bolts anymore. 😕

Though I did find a lot of 10 pressure plate bolts, and a whole bunch of E4OD stuff, like shift correction kits and pumps.

There's still a bit of Bullnose goodness, but I think a lot of that went away when they were selling pallets of NOS for $100 each.

I’m hoping I still have an extra OEM bolt set in storage. If not I will have to dig up the part number for an ARP alternative. One of the IDI guys I used to talk to used hardware store grade 8 bolts and broke them all while taking off at a stop light. I’m a good vicarious learner and will pay for ARP chromoly if I don’t have OEM’s.

I’m hoping I still have an extra OEM bolt set in storage. If not I will have to dig up the part number for an ARP alternative. One of the IDI guys I used to talk to used hardware store grade 8 bolts and broke them all while taking off at a stop light. I’m a good vicarious learner and will pay for ARP chromoly if I don’t have OEM’s.

This (and other engine internals) are one of the few use cases for ARP and the like, if you can't find OEM.

Literally, nobody needs them for valve covers or a water pump.

I know that this isn't your first rodeo, Jonathan.

I hope I didn't come off the wrong way. :nabble_smiley_blush:

This (and other engine internals) are one of the few use cases for ARP and the like, if you can't find OEM.

Literally, nobody needs them for valve covers or a water pump.

I know that this isn't your first rodeo, Jonathan.

I hope I didn't come off the wrong way. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Not at all Jim, I always appreciate your input. Hopefully I just have a set of OEM bolts and I can actually find them!