Bullnose Forums

What the heck is this?

Thanks for the tip Gary. I’ll be doing that for sure. And Mat, I might be doing a ZF5 swap since the top loader that’s in there is bad. Got that info from the last owner as I was buying it but at 400 bucks, hey, what are you gonna do? I figure I’d be better off going ahead and changing it out with a better one. I’ve located one at a local pick and pull out of a brick nose that’s on a 4.9 2wd like mine. Plan on yanking the clutch master and slave cylinder, trans crossmember, trans, and flywheel. I have a bead on an 84 clutch and brake pedal assembly to switch over to the hydraulic clutch and I plan on buying the firewall reinforcement panel from bronco graveyard. After that, I’ll reevaluate the gearing in the rear end. Might do a posi diff too unless you guys on here have a better option?

As Mat said drive the truck with the 2.47 rear gear to see how it goes even with the ZF5.

My 81 F100 parts truck came with a SOD 3sp OD and a 2.47 rear gear.

I never drove it, no motor and was rolled over, but my 81 F100 flare side has a NP435 granny 4sp, Advance over drive and a 2.75 rear gear and on the high way at 70 MPH is 1800 RPM.

1800 is the sweet spot for power on the 300 motors.

Oh tire size is 235 / 75 / 15 and is a 4x2 truck.

Dave ----

As Mat said drive the truck with the 2.47 rear gear to see how it goes even with the ZF5.

I never drove it, no motor and was rolled over, but my 81 F100 flare side has a NP435 granny 4sp, Advance over drive and a 2.75 rear gear and on the high way at 70 MPH is 1800 RPM.

Dave ----

Oh yeah I might do that then. I just looked up the ratios for the ZF5 and with the tires I have, at 80 mph and 2.47 gears, I’d be sitting at 1800 RPM. I like that combo. See? That’s why I’m here. So much helpful information and people. Thank you.

Dave ----

I also have a 2.47 on the shelf from a conversion that I did. it is an 8.8 size. otherwise, I would put it in my f100. but it is a 9" and has a 2.75. my next best adjustment for it will possibly be 235/75 size tires. however the tires are nearly new, and I will probably put this one up for sale before too long. I'm wanting to build a 4wd and this one is almost completed as a driver. I'm driving it daily and almost have 3k miles on the new engine.