Bullnose Forums

7.3 swap in place of a 6.9

BCGE201

In the process of brining back our Bullnose to life. Couldn't find a replacement 6.9 so in the process of installing an 89 7.3. Looking for some help adapting from the 6.9 truck harness with 7 wires to the 7.3 engine harness with 12 wires. Been searching all over for information but not finding everything I need to identify the wires and which ones are needed. 85 has a manual and the 7.3 had an auto. Sticking with the manual. Thanks in advance

IMG_9019.jpeg.e3fc9f30103ab0e69dd4fdfaf355a763.jpeg

IMG_9020.jpeg.156c4c6b6a2b32cd979c178659b20b77.jpeg

I don’t know if these help at all, but I think these were for a bricknose 7.3

What shape is your 6.9 engine harness? Are you going to run the 7.3 glow plug controller and 6v plugs or are you going to run the 6.9 controller and 12v plugs? The main thing is don’t mix and match.

The 7.3 does actually have a port on the driver side head (plugged) that will accept a 6.9 controller. I would strongly urge that you buy a new, solid state 6.9 controller if you go this route to keep the 12v spade connector ZD1 glow plugs.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/60.html

If your 6.9 harness is still serviceable but you want to run 6v plugs and controller this video will help:

Hopefully there is enough information here for three options and one of them can work for you.

I don’t know if these help at all, but I think these were for a bricknose 7.3

What shape is your 6.9 engine harness? Are you going to run the 7.3 glow plug controller and 6v plugs or are you going to run the 6.9 controller and 12v plugs? The main thing is don’t mix and match.

The 7.3 does actually have a port on the driver side head (plugged) that will accept a 6.9 controller. I would strongly urge that you buy a new, solid state 6.9 controller if you go this route to keep the 12v spade connector ZD1 glow plugs.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/60.html

If your 6.9 harness is still serviceable but you want to run 6v plugs and controller this video will help:

Hopefully there is enough information here for three options and one of them can work for you.

Thank you Jonathan!

I knew you'd have useful information to contribute.. :nabble_smiley_good: