Bullnose Forums

Tool To Remove Headlight & Wiper Knobs

I’m really sorry for your sister, Jim. My thoughts are with you.

I'd hope your thoughts are with her...

We've discussed our respective fates since we were children (it was a complex and tumultuous household, and we were both born with the supergeek gene)

I don't like to think that I will be the one carrying out her directive.

But unfortunately it may come to that.

Yes, for sure!

This is a subtle difference with the french way to say the same thing.

Maybe one day I’ll speak english like «y’all».

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Is it because of the difference in the reach of 'vous' vs. 'you' ?

Yes, for sure!

This is a subtle difference with the french way to say the same thing.

Maybe one day I’ll speak english like «y’all».

:nabble_smiley_wink:

There are many subtle differences in syntax and gendered words.

I admire French. It has a certain Je ne sais quoi. 😄

Not exactly, but you found half of the solution.

First, the manner to say.

In that case, in french in such situation, we tend to englobe in our wishes the affected person and her or his family.

Kind of «we think about you all».

Second, the famous “you”.

In french, there is one single and one plural form for this pronoun.

Single “tu”. Plural “vous”.

The action of using these forms is called “tutoyer” and “vouvoyer”.

Note that this latter (vous) is also used to mark a respectful distance.

The first time you meet someone, or if you don’t know well the person, or for your big boss, as examples.

You can go from “you” to “tu” when you feel comfortable with a person, when a friendship relationship (right term?) is building. And you’ll often ask before the switch (can I “tutoyer” you?).

I think that in english, since “you” is used for the single and plural forms, you can tag “all” after, in order to insist that everyone is targeted.

So, in my formulation to Jim, there were two mistakes:

1- I forgot that “you” can be read as its single form. For me, it was evident that I was including Jim and her sister in my thoughts. Because when I think of Jim, I think of him as a friend, and if I was writing directly to him in french I would use “tu”.

2- I used the wishes formulation as I would in french, in its inclusive form, englobing Jim’s sister and all her family and relatives. But I think that such wishes should target only the affected person in english.

So, it’s not only a “phrase” direct translation affair, it’s also a culture one. And this second dimension is never easy to size, always very subtle.

Conclusion my friends, do not hesitate to ask me to rephrase if I’m not enough clear, or to correct me if I am clearly wrong!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Not exactly, but you found half of the solution.

First, the manner to say.

In that case, in french in such situation, we tend to englobe in our wishes the affected person and her or his family.

Kind of «we think about you all».

Second, the famous “you”.

In french, there is one single and one plural form for this pronoun.

Single “tu”. Plural “vous”.

The action of using these forms is called “tutoyer” and “vouvoyer”.

Note that this latter (vous) is also used to mark a respectful distance.

The first time you meet someone, or if you don’t know well the person, or for your big boss, as examples.

You can go from “you” to “tu” when you feel comfortable with a person, when a friendship relationship (right term?) is building. And you’ll often ask before the switch (can I “tutoyer” you?).

I think that in english, since “you” is used for the single and plural forms, you can tag “all” after, in order to insist that everyone is targeted.

So, in my formulation to Jim, there were two mistakes:

1- I forgot that “you” can be read as its single form. For me, it was evident that I was including Jim and her sister in my thoughts. Because when I think of Jim, I think of him as a friend, and if I was writing directly to him in french I would use “tu”.

2- I used the wishes formulation as I would in french, in its inclusive form, englobing Jim’s sister and all her family and relatives. But I think that such wishes should target only the affected person in english.

So, it’s not only a “phrase” direct translation affair, it’s also a culture one. And this second dimension is never easy to size, always very subtle.

Conclusion my friends, do not hesitate to ask me to rephrase if I’m not enough clear, or to correct me if I am clearly wrong!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Jeff, don't ever think that I'm being critical (except if I'm joking)

But even then, I may forget to add an emoji...

The same two "you'd" in Spanish.

I call it formal and casual.

Usted & Su (and these depend on the Spanish you speak, Castillion is very different from Central American and Argentina+ Uruguay are unique, again.

BTW, the royal plural in southern 'english' is

All y'all. 😉

Jeff, don't ever think that I'm being critical (except if I'm joking)

But even then, I may forget to add an emoji...

The same two "you'd" in Spanish.

I call it formal and casual.

Usted & Su (and these depend on the Spanish you speak, Castillion is very different from Central American and Argentina+ Uruguay are unique, again.

BTW, the royal plural in southern 'english' is

All y'all. 😉

All y’all, I love that!

:nabble_smiley_happy: