Bullnose Forums

Fuel gauge not working-again

Oddly enough, my truck was originally sold in Colorado, and has hot fuel handling. Or did, anyway.

My truck (Big Blue 2WD) came from Canada, and the other one (parts truck) from California, both had hot fueling option. My Canadian trucks distributor advance permanently hooked up to manifold vacuum to increase idle (?) didn't realize that was hot fuel related (?). It was likely a service vehicle as it is barely equipped on creature comforts (no AC, no power windows, no cruise control) but has hot fuel handling and additional transmission and oil coolers.

I think we are talking more about regional likelihood / averages here.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My truck (Big Blue 2WD) came from Canada, and the other one (parts truck) from California, both had hot fueling option. My Canadian trucks distributor advance permanently hooked up to manifold vacuum to increase idle (?) didn't realize that was hot fuel related (?). It was likely a service vehicle as it is barely equipped on creature comforts (no AC, no power windows, no cruise control) but has hot fuel handling and additional transmission and oil coolers.

I think we are talking more about regional likelihood / averages here.

Canadian truck's are different (even imports from Ontario assembly, are different than those sold there)

Things like no EGR on 300's.

Etc....

My truck is a lowly "Custom" but 37 years later, I'm grateful there isn't more 'features' to screw up

Canadian truck's are different (even imports from Ontario assembly, are different than those sold there)

Things like no EGR on 300's.

Etc....

My truck is a lowly "Custom" but 37 years later, I'm grateful there isn't more 'features' to screw up

Jim, it depended on where they were ordered from Darth was built in Oakville Ontario and has a 2 as the first VIN character. He had full US spec emissions and hot fuel handling package as he was sold in Memphis Tennesee.

Jim, it depended on where they were ordered from Darth was built in Oakville Ontario and has a 2 as the first VIN character. He had full US spec emissions and hot fuel handling package as he was sold in Memphis Tennesee.

Right, that's what I said.

Canadian built, doesn't mean Canadian spec.

Oddly enough, my truck was originally sold in Colorado, and has hot fuel handling. Or did, anyway.

Alright, I've got the tanks emptied and they've been drying out for over 3 days now. So shouldn't have any 💥 from drilling. Sadly, I have to cut the new holes before I can order the sending units. Once the holes are cut, I will measure the distance to the bottom of the tank and order accordingly.

Alright, I've got the tanks emptied and they've been drying out for over 3 days now. So shouldn't have any 💥 from drilling. Sadly, I have to cut the new holes before I can order the sending units. Once the holes are cut, I will measure the distance to the bottom of the tank and order accordingly.

It's only sheet metal.

Can't you rig some type of caliper and measure at the point where you intend to put the sender?

It's only sheet metal.

Can't you rig some type of caliper and measure at the point where you intend to put the sender?

Jim... I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that. Let me see if I can make something...

One thought on these senders, the longest you can get them is 11". The rear tank is deeper than that at all points as far as I can tell. If the bottom of the sender was say, 1" above the floater of the tank, all that would mean is that I would have a small reserve of fuel after the gauge reads empty- and I'm fine with that.

Jim... I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that. Let me see if I can make something...

One thought on these senders, the longest you can get them is 11". The rear tank is deeper than that at all points as far as I can tell. If the bottom of the sender was say, 1" above the floater of the tank, all that would mean is that I would have a small reserve of fuel after the gauge reads empty- and I'm fine with that.

Do you have two framing squares?

You can nest one inside the other, and while you won't get out to 22", it is easy to read where the inside square lands on the leg of the outside square.

I use this technique to measure round columns, in place, all the time.

A framing square and a 12" square chunk of plywood works too.

Do you have two framing squares?

You can nest one inside the other, and while you won't get out to 22", it is easy to read where the inside square lands on the leg of the outside square.

I use this technique to measure round columns, in place, all the time.

A framing square and a 12" square chunk of plywood works too.

Yes but how do I get them inside the tank? :nabble_anim_confused: