Bullnose Forums

Big Brother is going 3G

I continue my investigations, preparing for future 3G swap.

After job, I went to Big Bro's garage and looked under the hood to identify the different places where the new harness will plug.

Friends, I'm probably blind, but I do not see the C610 connector. Where should I look?

As Jim pointed here, seems that there is couple of possibilities...

:nabble_anim_confused:

It's over by the fender relay and regulator.

Red, orange, Lt green, yellow.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I continue my investigations, preparing for future 3G swap.

After job, I went to Big Bro's garage and looked under the hood to identify the different places where the new harness will plug.

Friends, I'm probably blind, but I do not see the C610 connector. Where should I look?

As Jim pointed here, seems that there is couple of possibilities...

:nabble_anim_confused:

It should be below the voltage regulator.

It's over by the fender relay and regulator.

Red, orange, Lt green, yellow.

I said multiple places, because in the EVTM they just lay the circuits out so they are easy to see, it looks nothing like the actual harness.

The pictogram (I won't even begin to call it a schematic) C610 -one plug- is shown in four places. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I said multiple places, because in the EVTM they just lay the circuits out so they are easy to see, it looks nothing like the actual harness.

The pictogram (I won't even begin to call it a schematic) C610 -one plug- is shown in four places. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, I’ll see tomorrow morning.

But if I’m right I looked there and didn’t see it. Hope it is there, or I’m wondering that someone in past Big Bro’s life has get rid of it and spliced the wires…

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Ok, I’ll see tomorrow morning.

But if I’m right I looked there and didn’t see it. Hope it is there, or I’m wondering that someone in past Big Bro’s life has get rid of it and spliced the wires…

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Splicing the shunt is not a good idea. :nabble_smiley_angry:

But we all know this truck has been hacked up over time.

Jeff - This is the key schematic. It shows how you are to use the harness I sent.

But let me try to address your questions as I understand them:

• Voltmeter: You don't do anything but change out the ammeter for the voltmeter. The C610 connector in the harness I sent is wired to send key-on power to your voltmeter on one side and ground the other side.

• Choke Heater: Your Wh/Bk wire connects to the stator terminal on the new 3G.

• Y/LG: This wire has an eyelet on it and it'll go to a screw on the fender to serve as ground.

• Y/Wh: This wire should also have an eyelet on it and it goes to the same terminal on the megafuse holder that the Bk/O wire goes to.

Does that answer your questions?

Gary, thanks for precisions and (again) for the wiring diagram.

Although I still have a question about the choke heater wiring.

Do I understand that this connector…

IMG_9708.jpeg.53413ee54e9fc14417c0cbf4399ad647.jpeg

… will not go to its stator plug, but instead will be spliced only with the choke wire?

IMG_9779.jpeg.34403e944c93847a004693de01ba3527.jpeg

Gary, thanks for precisions and (again) for the wiring diagram.

Although I still have a question about the choke heater wiring.

Do I understand that this connector…

… will not go to its stator plug, but instead will be spliced only with the choke wire?

No.

It MUST go to the stator socket on the 3G or ta alternator won't work at all.

No.

It MUST go to the stator socket on the 3G or ta alternator won't work at all.

I'll say it differently. I don't remember how the W/Bk that is shown in the middle of the plug on the right is terminated on the cable I sent you, but I think it goes to the plug you circled. If so then your W/Bk wire to the choke heater goes there, and I assumed you had a matching connector. No?

IMG_9708.jpeg.eb6c714cb71e92f4eae15b6a675d41b3.jpeg

I'll say it differently. I don't remember how the W/Bk that is shown in the middle of the plug on the right is terminated on the cable I sent you, but I think it goes to the plug you circled. If so then your W/Bk wire to the choke heater goes there, and I assumed you had a matching connector. No?

Gary, that connector fits the (S) receptacle on the 3G. (between the regulator plug and charge stud)

Gary, that connector fits the (S) receptacle on the 3G. (between the regulator plug and charge stud)

Just to be sure we all agree, here is a picture of 3G connectors (I stole it from Giraffe/John's thread).

I circled the connector in red. I understand that it has to be connected, as in this picture:

3G_Connectors.jpg.f8d94a672a4606ced3c3599976a43e17.jpg

If so, may I humbly suggest a modification in the diagram.

If we focus on 3G wiring, the diagram could look like this:

3G_W-O_Choke.jpg.44aac13cf9d9072eef7faf4c014e480b.jpg

And if we need to connect the Choke Heater, it should be spliced here:

3G_W_Choke.jpg.f41e2dca90242be77a0d4a562ec14087.jpg

Am I wrong?