Bullnose Forums

Big Brother is going 3G

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, swap the R/O and Y/LG in the cluster. Apparently the gauge is backwards.
DONE! These terminals are very easy to get out and swap, it took 2 seconds each.And yes, it works!

Gentlemen, the 1G-3G swap is a SUCCESS!This 3G "Plug and Play" harness is just W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L !!!:nabble_anim_jump::nabble_anim_handshake::nabble_anim_claps:Tomorrow, I'll take some time to organise the pictures I took and write a step-by-step storybook.I'm really happy to have been your guinea pig.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Gentlemen, the 1G-3G swap is a SUCCESS!

This 3G "Plug and Play" harness is just W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L !!!

:nabble_anim_jump::nabble_anim_handshake::nabble_anim_claps:

Tomorrow, I'll take some time to organise the pictures I took and write a step-by-step storybook.

I'm really happy to have been your guinea pig.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm really happy it worked so well! :nabble_anim_jump:

But we need to discuss the voltmeter problem in the writeup. I saw the pic of the studs, and that's key. We may need to mod the wiring diagram to say swap these wires in the cluster connector if your studs are the other way 'round.

I'm really happy it worked so well! :nabble_anim_jump:

But we need to discuss the voltmeter problem in the writeup. I saw the pic of the studs, and that's key. We may need to mod the wiring diagram to say swap these wires in the cluster connector if your studs are the other way 'round.

Yes, your voltmeter studs are reversed from how Rocketman was making them. You can see Big Blue's on the left and Big Bro's on the right.

We need to know if he's changed going forward or just dropped the ball - again. Will/dirtymac had the same problem back in May and said this about a discussion he had with Bob/Rocketman:

Bob called me Friday a week ago about my gauge. I talked to him for a while about the conversion, what we are all working on and what I did to remedy my specific situation. It was a very informative conversation and I'm very appreciative given everything he has been going through. After speaking with him, it sounds like my gauge was shipped out reversed from his normal configuration and was just an oversight.

BBs_C308A_26_Voltmeter.jpg.4ed2e089944f398b10bdd7a0b089a981.jpgIMG_0989.jpeg.19d37e54776b1e4b02db286996ce0e7d.jpeg

We need to know if he's changed going forward or just dropped the ball - again.

I'll send Bob a message.

But anyway, we have an easy plan that could be included in the "plug and play 3G harness instructions".

«If your Voltmeter arrives reversed, simply swap the R/O and Y/LtG terminals in the cluster connector».

We need to know if he's changed going forward or just dropped the ball - again.

I'll send Bob a message.

But anyway, we have an easy plan that could be included in the "plug and play 3G harness instructions".

«If your Voltmeter arrives reversed, simply swap the R/O and Y/LtG terminals in the cluster connector».

Yes, we need to know if Bob has changed which stud will be positive for the future, or if yours snuck out the door when he was having other problems. And yes, we can add the pictures to the documentation and explain how to reverse the wires if needed.

Yes, we need to know if Bob has changed which stud will be positive for the future, or if yours snuck out the door when he was having other problems. And yes, we can add the pictures to the documentation and explain how to reverse the wires if needed.

Electric choke voltage:

Regarding this conversation we had in the past, I am wondering if the new 3G is sending the same 7V voltage to the electric choke.

Should I confirm it?

Remember, Big Bro had no relay and has a 7V choke heater.

Electric choke voltage:

Regarding this conversation we had in the past, I am wondering if the new 3G is sending the same 7V voltage to the electric choke.

Should I confirm it?

If I remember correctly the "7V" is off of only one of the three windings of the alternator. And it may be only half-wave rectified rather than full-wave.

In other words, I don't know that you can get a good measurement on it as each DVM will probably give a different reading. But the proof is in the pudding - does the choke work properly?

Electric choke voltage:

Should I confirm it?

Is your alternator unique to every other alternator Ford put in cars & trucks since 1964?

"7V"... always in quotes, because it's RMS of a 14.5ishV sine wave that constantly changes with engine rpm.

If it doesn't work in the dead of winter you can always swap out the choke and add a relay, like 351HO's were wired from the factory.

But the proof is in the pudding - does the choke work properly?

Right, I'll take off the air filter cover and take a look at a cold start.

I was simply wondering about the "theorical" voltage going out of this 3G terminal.

"7V" or "14V".

If it doesn't work in the dead of winter you can always swap out the choke and add a relay, like 351HO's were wired from the factory.

Jim, I am just trying to do the less as I can in winter time, since there's no heating in the barn nor in Big Bro's shelter. And I'm on vacation right now, so I try to do the more I can before going back to job next monday.

I still have the 14V choke heater that I swapped between my original and replacement Holley carbs.

So, if we conclude that I should install a relay, will I use this 14V part?