Bullnose Forums

Big Brother is going 3G

Ok, here is a first version of my grocery list, probably not completed. Feel free to comment.

What am I missing?

1- Cluster Amp meter converted to Volt meter

2- Harness (already on hand, thanks to Gary!)

3- 3G alternator (exact model to be defined)

4- Replace the 3G alternator Voltage Regulator for a model with LRC (Load Response Control regulator that goes to full charge in +/- 2.5 seconds)

5- Pulley swap fittings (new V-Belt pulley? New axle bolt?)

6- New V-Belt

7- Reclock the 3G alternator? May depend of the model?

8- Make some bracket adjustments (to be more defined: Curbing? Tapping? New bolts?)

Question:

From the page «3G Alternator Conversion/Ammeter & Voltmeter»:

"However, you will need to re-wire in order to use it. And, you need to put a relay in the circuit somewhere as the voltmeter pulls ~80ma and w/o the relay, which should be pulled in by a key-on voltage, the voltmeter will be "on" 24x7, which will eventually drain the battery."

Need more detail please. What relay? Where to install it?

:nabble_anim_confused:

IMG_9627.gif.dd6b3c39585748af8ebb9df8626b63e3.gif

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

From the page «3G Alternator Conversion/Ammeter & Voltmeter»:

"However, you will need to re-wire in order to use it. And, you need to put a relay in the circuit somewhere as the voltmeter pulls ~80ma and w/o the relay, which should be pulled in by a key-on voltage, the voltmeter will be "on" 24x7, which will eventually drain the battery."

Need more detail please. What relay? Where to install it?

Jeff - You shouldn't combine what we discussed in the Rethinking The 3G Conversion Pages/Process thread and what's on the 3G Conversion page. The thread is, as its title says, a rethink of how to wire a 3G. The 3G Conversion page is old-think.

The reason for the relay was because I wanted to know the actual battery voltage rather than the voltage in the cab - and those are two different things. So I wanted the voltmeter to be connected to the circuitry as close to the battery as is possible, and that required a relay to turn power off to the volt meter when the key was off.

But the new-think is that people don't really care exactly what the voltage is, so tap into a source of switched power because then you won't need the relay. (After all, there are no numbers on the Rocketman voltmeters, so they cannot be terribly accurate.)

Given that we decided to wire it as shown below, and the LG/R wire comes from the ignition switch and provides both power to the alternator to bootstrap it in but also to the voltmeter. In other words, no relay is needed.

3G_With_Voltmeter_26_Wire_Stripes_2B_Curve.thumb.jpg.7b04a52cb204d6360811949d682462e1.jpg

The 3G Conversion page is old-think.

Thanks Gary. Preparing the surgery, I am reading all documents I can find here and there, and I begin to see clear.

But sometimes I can fall on irrelevant or old info.

Don’t worry, I won’t go on before summarize the process here and get my mentors imprimatur.

For the moment, I’m still in the theory, measurements and products analysis.

But the new-think is that people don't really care exactly what the voltage is, so tap into a source of switched power because then you won't need the relay.

Ok, so this will meet RCCIndustries installation instructions, I mean the LG/R wire coming from the ignition switch is a switched power source?

IMG_9624.jpeg.6e4c433ac956387777c8603845bd4a84.jpeg

IMG_9625.jpeg.9a53745740f30395178aa29084b6d82e.jpeg

The 3G Conversion page is old-think.

Thanks Gary. Preparing the surgery, I am reading all documents I can find here and there, and I begin to see clear.

But sometimes I can fall on irrelevant or old info.

Don’t worry, I won’t go on before summarize the process here and get my mentors imprimatur.

For the moment, I’m still in the theory, measurements and products analysis.

But the new-think is that people don't really care exactly what the voltage is, so tap into a source of switched power because then you won't need the relay.

Ok, so this will meet RCCIndustries installation instructions, I mean the LG/R wire coming from the ignition switch is a switched power source?

Yes, the LG/R wire comes from the ignition switch and is hot in Start or Run. So you don't need the relay.

1985-etm-page18.thumb.jpg.1f1512e9dae8a168b53743eca34a7c15.jpg

[quote name="BigBrother-84>%5D%0D%0A%5B/quote%5D%0D%0ADanger,%20danger!%0ADanger,%20Will%20Robinson!!!%0AJeff,%20this%20cracks%20me%20up!%20

HTH can you say you're too old for a funk band that was at their best in the '70's??? :nabble_anim_confused:

HTH can you say you're too old for a funk band that was at their best in the '70's??? :nabble_anim_confused:

Maybe just few years difference can explain.

In early 70’s I was still playing with my GI Joe’s.

At home Dad was listening at French singers (Aznavour, Brel) plus couple of crooners.

And since I was living far from school, I was not exposed to “modern music” (schools we silent back in time, no Walk-Man, no permanently EarPods plugged).

Just one TV channel at home, maybe two radio stations.

That could explains my “70’s black hole”.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Certainly not because of acid…

Maybe my brain is just too fragile for that heavy style?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Maybe just few years difference can explain.

In early 70’s I was still playing with my GI Joe’s.

At home Dad was listening at French singers (Aznavour, Brel) plus couple of crooners.

And since I was living far from school, I was not exposed to “modern music” (schools we silent back in time, no Walk-Man, no permanently EarPods plugged).

Just one TV channel at home, maybe two radio stations.

That could explains my “70’s black hole”.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Certainly not because of acid…

Maybe my brain is just too fragile for that heavy style?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

I mean t say that George Clinton i(and BOTH h bands were fuel by psychedelics.

In the '70's the P-Funk Mothership would open Frank Zappa' annual Halloween show (typically at the Palladium)

You cannot begin to imagine the costumes fans wore to those shows!

Frank may have written outrageous lyrics but he was an amazing composer who only bothered with excellent musicians

I mean t say that George Clinton i(and BOTH h bands were fuel by psychedelics.

In the '70's the P-Funk Mothership would open Frank Zappa' annual Halloween show (typically at the Palladium)

You cannot begin to imagine the costumes fans wore to those shows!

Frank may have written outrageous lyrics but he was an amazing composer who only bothered with excellent musicians

Ok, I made measurements of Big Brother's 1G alternator:

• There is 1" free between the engine block and the alt, on the side and on the rear.

• Presently, the 1G lower bolt is at the maximum of the bracket length.

• I was surprised, but the lower alt ear is 3/4" thick. So maybe no bracket modification? Goal is to keep V-Belt, well aligned...

I'm ready to find a 3G, being sure it will fit.

Here are pictures of Big Bro's 1G and belts, plus measurements.

FRONT.thumb.jpg.8aea2535743bdb6c54ff2e0d112b3652.jpg

REAR.thumb.jpg.fb2675365118b84a8138c1fa86bb5999.jpg

Courroies_2.thumb.jpg.2a6effff1b61cc208b086aeb0bfe3fb6.jpg

Courroies_1.thumb.jpg.1b522a32026c4a589aaa930d14a9895b.jpg

Devant-NB.thumb.jpg.9753ddc2e9624be16ce96c35974759a7.jpg

Arrire-NB.thumb.jpg.82e76c05450231eb1bddbfe0175637f8.jpg

Ct-NB.thumb.jpg.3bdfa865f0cfdf0fbd8b12accda5fee2.jpg

Ok, I made measurements of Big Brother's 1G alternator:

• There is 1" free between the engine block and the alt, on the side and on the rear.

• Presently, the 1G lower bolt is at the maximum of the bracket length.

• I was surprised, but the lower alt ear is 3/4" thick. So maybe no bracket modification? Goal is to keep V-Belt, well aligned...

I'm ready to find a 3G, being sure it will fit.

Here are pictures of Big Bro's 1G and belts, plus measurements.

So, you're going with the small diameter (135mm)95A 3G, that fits the same as your 1G?

You should be okay, but be sure to check the plane of the belt (pulleys)

So, you're going with the small diameter (135mm)95A 3G, that fits the same as your 1G?

Well, Jim, I’ve not make my choice yet.

In fact, the main goal is to keep the V-Belt layout, with the higher amperage it can support.

I read couple of testimonials here and there about guys who upgraded to 130A (!) and single v-belt.

Majority of them has belt slipping at startup, no more issue.

There was a guy who installed a custom tensioner:

IMG_9643.thumb.jpeg.4f80c4447460700fa931fe98423e1e90.jpeg

So, I am wondering if this higher AMP squealing can be controlled only with LRC Voltage Regulator.

Or maybe LRC combined with a high quality single V-belt?

If not enough, can a double V-belt pulley be installed? If so, what is the belt routing, longer water pump/power steering belt going around the first V-belt notch, and the second one same routing as the original 1G?

IMG_9558.thumb.jpeg.299ef3445b98f726e230e5eaa9225d25.jpeg