Bullnose Forums

LeBaront2 to the red courtesy phone! 460 build question

ArdWrknTrk

Only because they were built from 1968 - 1997, 335s were 1971 - 1982, basically 30 years vs 11 years. You also get into, internal vs external balance on 460s.

True. 335's had one deck height, although several pin-heights as they decreased compression. And one head. Pretty simple.

That is what I wanted the fellow who built my engine to do, deck the block to 10.300 but he felt it didn't need it and he could get it with heads and gaskets. I was trying for around 9.4/9.5 compression at which a 460 will still tolerate regular fuel. Ended up at 9.23

This is one of the reasons I miss Harry so much.

He would listen -and understand- that having a small chamber to make the CR, but the piston is still .040 or more in the hole is just going to destroy itself.

I'm not interested in running race fuel, way too much cam, and/or timing at tdc to control detonation.

I will tear down this engine and determine if it needs to be bored or the crank needs polish.

35k from new, I hope everything ends up 0/0!

If so I get the kit and mock it up to determine how much to deck each bank. (Because they are often not the same)

This is one of the reasons I miss Harry so much.

He would listen -and understand- that having a small chamber to make the CR, but the piston is still .040 or more in the hole is just going to destroy itself.

I'm not interested in running race fuel, way too much cam, and/or timing at tdc to control detonation.

I will tear down this engine and determine if it needs to be bored or the crank needs polish.

35k from new, I hope everything ends up 0/0!

If so I get the kit and mock it up to determine how much to deck each bank. (Because they are often not the same)

Definitely need to check both, my block varied a bit from side to side and end to end on each side. Hopefully, once this weather system (a) makes up it's mind and (b) goes away I hope to be finally getting around to changing Darth's engine, at which point do you still want the old dipstick and tube Jim?

Not to hijack this thread, can you take a screenshot of the overlay you are talking about and email me?

So, here I am in the reply window, taking a screenshot.

Wow! That's UGLY! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Not sure what to do about it, but need to think about it seriously. What happens if you rotate your tablet? On mine, if I go landscape I have the nav menu, but if I go portrait I only have the 3-line "hamburger" menu.

And, this is an Android?

Definitely need to check both, my block varied a bit from side to side and end to end on each side. Hopefully, once this weather system (a) makes up it's mind and (b) goes away I hope to be finally getting around to changing Darth's engine, at which point do you still want the old dipstick and tube Jim?

Bill, that's a very kind offer.

In a few days when I sort out what's going to happen to the engine I will know if I need the old style stick &tube or the newer click in style.

If this engine is a tight inside as I think it may be I will use it pretty much as is.

Then I need to find some D3VE heads that aren't cracked, notched or badly warped.

I will use Scott's templates to clean up the hump and short side, then find a decent machinist to do a 3 angle valve job and cut the guides for seals.

I've asked all my old Mustang buddies but the only one with any recommendation was for 50-60 miles away in north jersey.

Evidently this guy builds 5.0's but knows little about the 385.(makes sense given he wasn't even a teenager when production stopped)

Not sure what to do about it, but need to think about it seriously. What happens if you rotate your tablet? On mine, if I go landscape I have the nav menu, but if I go portrait I only have the 3-line "hamburger" menu.

And, this is an Android?

Yep, Samsung Android

Now the menu goes away but the keyboard is so compressed it's hard for me to type.

And I lose the right side of my replyScreenshot_2017-09-07-12-10-26.thumb.png.65158b8f93a78f3894447dfb5bb04532.png

And, this is an Android?

Yep, Samsung Android

Now the menu goes away but the keyboard is so compressed it's hard for me to type.

And I lose the right side of my reply

This is going to take a bit of concentration, which I can't do at the moment. And with my memory.... please don't let me forget. 😕