Bullnose Forums

Need Advice on Valve Cover

I submit to the Mahal gods, a bit of a dilemma.

I took off the driver side valve cover today to address a SMALL oil leak which I think was at the back.

The inside of the cover and the heads all look really clean—no sludge.

Got it off, stripped the paint, cleaned it up, and found rust at the back where I think the leak is from. The bolt was rather soaked in oil as well on the outside. The rust is mostly outside the cover, but I found a pin hole in the rail.

I check for true only by placing it on the cement garage floor. It rocks slightly. I need to check more thoroughly though.

OK, so, should I use this, or does the rust/hole suggest I get a new set? Pics follow:

IMG_2809.thumb.jpeg.04fa23ecc866ec960e233cd21bc5877f.jpegIMG_2810.thumb.jpeg.31dcca0b8209ab21687cd94fe7077c0f.jpegIMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.bb49d8bf71e7f0b7e95dec5ea9e7f2d3.jpeg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like someone tried to weld it up. There seems to be welding spatter on it near the hole. Right?

And the hole goes through where the gasket goes, so in theory shouldn't leak. But something has been leaking, and probably though that hole?

My first thought was to replace the valve cover, but on second thought how could it leak through that hole since the gasket will be there? :nabble_anim_confused:

It looks like someone tried to weld it up. There seems to be welding spatter on it near the hole. Right?

And the hole goes through where the gasket goes, so in theory shouldn't leak. But something has been leaking, and probably though that hole?

My first thought was to replace the valve cover, but on second thought how could it leak through that hole since the gasket will be there? :nabble_anim_confused:

On the outside, yes, that DOES look like splatter. And they tried to weld despite the rust? [insert face plant emoji here]🤬

I wanted to keep it because of the Ford stamping. Was going to go back to blue (it was repainted black), and outline the letters in silver. But, I’d rather do this right.

On the outside, yes, that DOES look like splatter. And they tried to weld despite the rust? [insert face plant emoji here]🤬

I wanted to keep it because of the Ford stamping. Was going to go back to blue (it was repainted black), and outline the letters in silver. But, I’d rather do this right.

I would have brazed it. In fact I have brazed valve covers. So if you can clean off the spatter and rust you could braze the hole shut and know it won't leak.

I would have brazed it. In fact I have brazed valve covers. So if you can clean off the spatter and rust you could braze the hole shut and know it won't leak.

It's a good approach.

Brass or bronze can't ever rust again. :nabble_smiley_good:

This is all great advice. I would use SSf-6, but oy, the price of that. a small 1/16 rod with flux I may try...but will it hold to all that rust?

please remove all rust. otherwise, it may corrode under your repair.

This is all great advice. I would use SSf-6, but oy, the price of that. a small 1/16 rod with flux I may try...but will it hold to all that rust?

Oy? If I remember right Mick said that at the end of 19th Nervous Breakdown. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Man, that takes me BACK! Not only to the 60's but the two years we spent in the UK. Oy!

Anyway, yes you need to clean off the rust. Get down to bare metal and use a flux brazing rod or a brazing rod dipped in flux. It'll flow nicely on the bare steel and fill that hole. Plus you can easily file it back smooth.

Oy? If I remember right Mick said that at the end of 19th Nervous Breakdown. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Man, that takes me BACK! Not only to the 60's but the two years we spent in the UK. Oy!

Anyway, yes you need to clean off the rust. Get down to bare metal and use a flux brazing rod or a brazing rod dipped in flux. It'll flow nicely on the bare steel and fill that hole. Plus you can easily file it back smooth.

Did a little muriatic around the hole after sand sand sand. Here is the bronze filling the hole. I need to Phos or Muriatic the rest. Not sure this will repair it—rust never sleeps—but will likely rust reform the other areas, then, shooting the primer….

IMG_2813.thumb.jpeg.2ae58cb906bdac9dc4d3677a5063a2c4.jpeg

Did a little muriatic around the hole after sand sand sand. Here is the bronze filling the hole. I need to Phos or Muriatic the rest. Not sure this will repair it—rust never sleeps—but will likely rust reform the other areas, then, shooting the primer….

Stay away from the hydrochloric if you can.

Chlorine remains corrosive (in fact, it's probably sodium chloride that started the problem