Bullnose Forums

New Fuel Tank/Sending Unit

emunder

Does the gearing matter a whole lot in the city (I know I made it a point to mention gears but wondering) ? I assume you would always be on the proper gear to keep between 1-2k rpm. On hwy the advantage is clear.

In fact I think you are more likely to be able to pull at lower RPMs in the city with a 4.1 vs 3.06

I miss "Big Red" 460/T-19/4.1... I was driving city all day at barely over 1K rpm

Well, I never need 1st and if I short shift I could be in 4th before 30mph.

But my worn Zf-5 doesn't like to be lugged and I'm almost always at 2k.

4th is 1:1 just like a T-19.

Highway speed around here is 80-85 without traffic.

I'm literally pushing a Brick into the wind.

In town could be better... perhaps.

Fuel isn't worth wasting time and I am a decisive driver.

Having front wheel only makes me consider turning, because the front axles bins and jerk around.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I never need 1st and if I short shift I could be in 4th before 30mph.

But my worn Zf-5 doesn't like to be lugged and I'm almost always at 2k.

4th is 1:1 just like a T-19.

Highway speed around here is 80-85 without traffic.

I'm literally pushing a Brick into the wind.

In town could be better... perhaps.

Fuel isn't worth wasting time and I am a decisive driver.

Having front wheel only makes me consider turning, because the front axles bins and jerk around.

Having front wheel only ? (because rear axle is busted?)

Like a fragmentation grenade.

There are plenty of pics, I even started a thread.

But since I'm broke I have to keep going until I can afford parts. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Wow. Wonder what caused that.

Hope you can find a 4.1 axle from a parts truck somewhere. That maybe a cost-effective way.

And here I am with a spare 4.1 with 93K original miles (Axle C5-Sterling 6250 Limited slip) from my parts truck I would let you have if you were local. Serious.

6E58B977-4660-473C-A0F0-04AEE20D5925.jpeg.afb9916fcd0dfc9c1e124c9c45091c4c.jpeg

Thats really good. I'm stuck at about 8mpg with my 460 in the city with 3.06 gears :)

Damn, Darth always got a solid 10 except towing the 5th wheel, then he dropped to 8. That was carbureted 460, C6 and 3.55 gears. His tare weight is 6400 lbs.

Damn, Darth always got a solid 10 except towing the 5th wheel, then he dropped to 8. That was carbureted 460, C6 and 3.55 gears. His tare weight is 6400 lbs.

The Edelbrock 1411 750CFM on "Big Blue 2WD" is almost 10 years going. Wonder if I'm running too rich. What's the best way to check A/F ratio while running ? A/F meter ?

The Edelbrock 1411 750CFM on "Big Blue 2WD" is almost 10 years going. Wonder if I'm running too rich. What's the best way to check A/F ratio while running ? A/F meter ?

a/f meter is the best as a simple measure.

Wow. Wonder what caused that.

Hope you can find a 4.1 axle from a parts truck somewhere. That maybe a cost-effective way.

And here I am with a spare 4.1 with 93K original miles (Axle C5-Sterling 6250 Limited slip) from my parts truck I would let you have if you were local. Serious.

I can find them, but no one will let me open it up and look inside, before paying and dragging it home.

30 day exchange policy

I'm not going to screw around, driving over an hour each way and dropping $800, nor going to the effort of changing out an almost 40 year old often neglected and abused part.

I just don't know enough people any more.

Was a time I could have one of those complete, from the spring perches (tires, and all) for free... tomorrow.

I can find them, but no one will let me open it up and look inside, before paying and dragging it home.

30 day exchange policy

I'm not going to screw around, driving over an hour each way and dropping $800, nor going to the effort of changing out an almost 40 year old often neglected and abused part.

I just don't know enough people any more.

Was a time I could have one of those complete, from the spring perches (tires, and all) for free... tomorrow.

that is a strong point. a lot of expense still on a mystery when rebuilding yours will give you a known result.

that is a strong point. a lot of expense still on a mystery when rebuilding yours will give you a known result.

It's also 21/2* hours away.

Driving Highway on the front wheels is much easier than turning, as we discussed in the 'jerkyness with hubs locked' thread about driveline angles...

CV's (like THAT French brand) would be a godsend.