Bullnose Forums

6.9 idi CPR

• 1 month later...

I finished the pump reinstalled it on Sunday.

I now have fuel to all of the injectors, still no fire, not even with a gas soaked rag.

Pulled and checked the gp's today all good.

Planning on a compression test next.

Thanks for the pump manual link.

Finally I'm back in town.

I checked the compression today and found one cylinder to have 180 psi and the rest were under 150 a couple as low as 120.

I wish I had checked this before all of the other work.

I appreciate all of the help.

Now I have to decide where to go from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I'm back in town.

I checked the compression today and found one cylinder to have 180 psi and the rest were under 150 a couple as low as 120.

I wish I had checked this before all of the other work.

I appreciate all of the help.

Now I have to decide where to go from here.

Those are extremely low numbers for a diesel 😳. If possible I would verify the gauge/compression tester, and that the adapter is sealing correctly in the glow plug holes. It’s just odd that all of them are THAT low… but anything is possible with an engine that has been sitting.

Does it try to fire on ether? Are you getting any smoke from the exhaust while cranking? Just wondering if the injectors are actually popping and aerosolizing enough for firing with glow plug heat.

Also, are you sure it is in time? Close enough to start? If you didn’t disturb the pump gear it shouldn’t be off the marks but it is good to verify with the mirror/butter knife/putty methods. Even regular advance retard adjustments can prevent starting if it’s off by very much. Since you have had the pump off I would suspect this is more likely the reason it won’t fire than from compression problems.

Those are extremely low numbers for a diesel 😳. If possible I would verify the gauge/compression tester, and that the adapter is sealing correctly in the glow plug holes. It’s just odd that all of them are THAT low… but anything is possible with an engine that has been sitting.

Does it try to fire on ether? Are you getting any smoke from the exhaust while cranking? Just wondering if the injectors are actually popping and aerosolizing enough for firing with glow plug heat.

Also, are you sure it is in time? Close enough to start? If you didn’t disturb the pump gear it shouldn’t be off the marks but it is good to verify with the mirror/butter knife/putty methods. Even regular advance retard adjustments can prevent starting if it’s off by very much. Since you have had the pump off I would suspect this is more likely the reason it won’t fire than from compression problems.

It has never tried to fire or made any smoke. I've tried ether and a gas soaked rag. All prior to rebuilding the pump.

I preformed the compression test several times over a few days hoping that my results would change. I have added some oil to the cylinders that increased the numbers a little bit but not more than 10 to 15 psi.

I did verify with a second gauge.

It has never tried to fire or made any smoke. I've tried ether and a gas soaked rag. All prior to rebuilding the pump.

I preformed the compression test several times over a few days hoping that my results would change. I have added some oil to the cylinders that increased the numbers a little bit but not more than 10 to 15 psi.

I did verify with a second gauge.

Even with low compression you should be getting some white stinky smoke while cranking and shooting ether at it.

Sounds like either fuel isn’t making it to the pre cups, or the valves are not opening as they should or the injection event is way,way off.

Try cranking it with a valve cover off to see if the valves are moving a healthy amount. Check the timing marks on the IP gear. Even if you didn’t disturb it when you serviced the IP there is no telling what a previous owner did before it was parked in a field.