Bullnose Forums

Short bed 4x4 owners- driveline question?

Yes, the burro ruined the body, and I have some binding and popping at full steer that makes me suspect frame cracks around the gear box. I always wanted a short wheelbase 4x4 and this frame with a good bed presented itself….

I was hoping to hold the 1345 that is currently in the ‘81 as a critical spare for the crew cab, while making use of the 1356’s I have sitting around, but they are slip yoke version and about 9-10” longer than the 1345. If my math is correct that would result in ~23” long rear driveshaft 😳

I have a slip yoke 1356.

If it was 9-10" shorter, it would be a black hole. 🤯

Give me a few, and I'll get pic's

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a slip yoke 1356.

If it was 9-10" shorter, it would be a black hole. 🤯

Give me a few, and I'll get pic's

It’s hard to get an accurate measurement under a truck, but in rough numbers my BW1345 fixed yoke case is ~16” from the mounting face to the center of the U joint cap. My BW1356 measures ~26” from the mounting face to the center of the U joint cap on the slip yoke in its natural unloaded position (under the 89 F250 IDI donor truck). That’s where I came up with the ~10” difference.

It’s hard to get an accurate measurement under a truck, but in rough numbers my BW1345 fixed yoke case is ~16” from the mounting face to the center of the U joint cap. My BW1356 measures ~26” from the mounting face to the center of the U joint cap on the slip yoke in its natural unloaded position (under the 89 F250 IDI donor truck). That’s where I came up with the ~10” difference.

Well I wouldn't have imagined it but you're correct

It's about 20" from the rear face of the transmission mount to the tailshaft seal.

I don't have a rear driveshaft installed, since I blew my differential up, so I can't really measure to the center of the yoke.

IMG_20240322_192518_MP.jpg.dda7f7c4dca32d5876fc218f90c1653e.jpg

Well I wouldn't have imagined it but you're correct

It's about 20" from the rear face of the transmission mount to the tailshaft seal.

I don't have a rear driveshaft installed, since I blew my differential up, so I can't really measure to the center of the yoke.

with a driveshaft that short it will not take much travel to overextend the universals or cause a lot of telescoping of the slip yoke. this is why the fixed yoke with double cardans were used in conjunction with a telescoping shaft. but the pinion angle is going to need to be linear with the shaft while the double cardan handles the sync.

I have a 351w-based engine with an E4OD and a BW 1356 TC. Slip joint at the transmission, U joint at the 9 inch. Drive shaft is 33 3/8" center to center on the U joints.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and set up! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I have a 351w-based engine with an E4OD and a BW 1356 TC. Slip joint at the transmission, U joint at the 9 inch. Drive shaft is 33 3/8" center to center on the U joints.

Thank you very much, this is helpful!

I believe this is extremely similar to what I would have if I used the 1345 and shortened the existing shaft.

Many thanks for answering the question :nabble_anim_handshake:

Pete, I have another question for you… does your truck have as gas tank skid plate?

The frame I bought was from a 4x4 truck, and not likely a conversion. It has the wider rear springs and the hangers are on with the factory rivets. It has dual gas tanks, but both were mounted with straps, not skid plates. I’m wondering if the short box trucks didn’t get them? Thanks.

-Jonathan

Pete, I have another question for you… does your truck have as gas tank skid plate?

The frame I bought was from a 4x4 truck, and not likely a conversion. It has the wider rear springs and the hangers are on with the factory rivets. It has dual gas tanks, but both were mounted with straps, not skid plates. I’m wondering if the short box trucks didn’t get them? Thanks.

-Jonathan

When I bought my '85 F-250HD new, skid plates were an option, even on a 4WD. Probably just that whoever ordered that truck just didn't check that box.

When I bought my '85 F-250HD new, skid plates were an option, even on a 4WD. Probably just that whoever ordered that truck just didn't check that box.

Bob that’s interesting, thank you! I assumed they were standard equipment on all 4x4 but evidently not!