Bullnose Forums

Short bed 4x4 owners- driveline question?

I have some questions for owners of 4x4 single cab short bed trucks:

1) what transfer case does it have?

2) is the rear drive slip-yoke or slip shaft design?

3) approximate length of rear shaft?

Thank you!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might answer your tcase question

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/transfer-cases.html

Thank you! Unfortunately the MPC isn’t super helpful this time. There are 3 transfer cases listed, and all 3 are shown to have been used in Bronco through F350.

The BW1345 I believe is always fixed yoke, but NP208 and BW1345 come in both fixed and slip yoke versions, with different overall length.

I am hoping to find out what Ford engineers put in the 117” wheelbase trucks, as far as case type and driveline length. The MPC does not distinguish between short and long bed half tons.

I am also under the impression that broncos were so short that a double cardan was used on the rear shaft, but I don’t think the short box pickups ever got that from factory.

Thank you! Unfortunately the MPC isn’t super helpful this time. There are 3 transfer cases listed, and all 3 are shown to have been used in Bronco through F350.

The BW1345 I believe is always fixed yoke, but NP208 and BW1345 come in both fixed and slip yoke versions, with different overall length.

I am hoping to find out what Ford engineers put in the 117” wheelbase trucks, as far as case type and driveline length. The MPC does not distinguish between short and long bed half tons.

I am also under the impression that broncos were so short that a double cardan was used on the rear shaft, but I don’t think the short box pickups ever got that from factory.

The Bronco's had a weird fixed yoke with a kind of spherical joint.

I haven't seen enough shortbed 4x4's to offer much help, unfortunately, Jonathan.

The Bronco's had a weird fixed yoke with a kind of spherical joint....

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would really surprise me if Ford used anything other that a Cardan or double Cardan joint on a driveshaft. I always thought the newer Broncos (and no, I'm not talking about the NEW Broncos) used a fixed yoke with a double Cardan on the transfer case end of the rear 'shaft.

The Bronco's had a weird fixed yoke with a kind of spherical joint....

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would really surprise me if Ford used anything other that a Cardan or double Cardan joint on a driveshaft. I always thought the newer Broncos (and no, I'm not talking about the NEW Broncos) used a fixed yoke with a double Cardan on the transfer case end of the rear 'shaft.

the bronco that I used parts from on one of my builds had the 1356 with a fixed yoke and a double cardan shaft.

the bronco that I used parts from on one of my builds had the 1356 with a fixed yoke and a double cardan shaft.

But this isn't about Bronco's

What have you found under 4x4 Styleside short beds?

Is it any different than a Flareside?

But this isn't about Bronco's

What have you found under 4x4 Styleside short beds?

Is it any different than a Flareside?

Thanks Jim, that’s right… I want to know what came in short bed 4x4 pick-ups. Styleside or flareside should not matter, just what did Ford engineers deem appropriate for 117” wheelbase. There might be a slight difference in the nose length of 9” vs 8 inch rear axles but should be close enough…

To give a bit of background, I recently purchase a short-bed 4x4 frame for my 1981 F150. That transition will not happen soon, but I am in the process of figuring out what trucks will get what parts and what I still need to look for to make this work.

Thanks Jim, that’s right… I want to know what came in short bed 4x4 pick-ups. Styleside or flareside should not matter, just what did Ford engineers deem appropriate for 117” wheelbase. There might be a slight difference in the nose length of 9” vs 8 inch rear axles but should be close enough…

To give a bit of background, I recently purchase a short-bed 4x4 frame for my 1981 F150. That transition will not happen soon, but I am in the process of figuring out what trucks will get what parts and what I still need to look for to make this work.

This is for the Burro?

This is for the Burro?

Yes, the burro ruined the body, and I have some binding and popping at full steer that makes me suspect frame cracks around the gear box. I always wanted a short wheelbase 4x4 and this frame with a good bed presented itself….

I was hoping to hold the 1345 that is currently in the ‘81 as a critical spare for the crew cab, while making use of the 1356’s I have sitting around, but they are slip yoke version and about 9-10” longer than the 1345. If my math is correct that would result in ~23” long rear driveshaft 😳