Bullnose Forums

Hello Everyone

Hi, I recently picked up an ‘81 F-100 Custom with one of the Explorer packages. It’s got the 300 straight 6, the Clark 4spd with overdrive, and axle code 07 (which from what I understand is a 2.47 gearset), power steering, power brakes, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, 28 spline axles and…. Rust. There’s a decent amount of it in the cab floor around the doors, in the bed, the battery tray is gone, and in the hood. The price was right though and I’ll get to learn some things by fixing it all. Glad to meet everyone.

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Man, 2.47 and OD is really a high-geared outfit. I've heard others with a combo like that say they couldn't shift into OD if there was a hill in that zip code. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But it should be good for cruising, that's for sure. :nabble_smiley_good:

Show us some pics? You may want to look at how to post pics in the FAQ's at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu.

And speaking of the menu, you can see our map at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map. We can add you with a city/state or zip - with or without a hill. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Man, 2.47 and OD is really a high-geared outfit. I've heard others with a combo like that say they couldn't shift into OD if there was a hill in that zip code. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But it should be good for cruising, that's for sure. :nabble_smiley_good:

Show us some pics? You may want to look at how to post pics in the FAQ's at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu.

And speaking of the menu, you can see our map at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map. We can add you with a city/state or zip - with or without a hill. :nabble_smiley_wink:

IMG_4490.jpeg.e0714d3bba74b11fa2504b73fe932ad5.jpegIMG_4491.jpeg.839bdf094e4f97818911174b907ad5f9.jpeg

Good job posting the pics. And nice truck. You even have the Explorer hood ornament. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. It’s pretty banged up though. I wonder if there’s any reproductions available?

There are some NOS ones about from time to time. Check out this thread: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Explorer-hood-ornament-assembly-E0TZ-16850-B-NOS-td54220.html

I got the truck out of a field from a farmer that’s had it sitting there for years. I finally got it to turn over today after putting Marvel Mystery Oil on each piston through the spark plug holes, waiting a day and a half, and turning it by hand before changing the oil and popping a battery in. I was concerned because there was a ton of sludge and a bit of water (not a lot, just a bit of clear water at the bottom of the pan) but when I turned the key it started turning right over. I did unhook the fuel line and pop all the leads of the spark plugs beforehand, but yeah, I’m stoked.