Bullnose Forums

Bricknose/Aeronose Bed Into a Bullnose Bed

Has anyone actually grafted the squared-opening patch panels for a bullnose bed onto a later brick or aeronose bed? I'm contemplating trying this, but my problem lies with verification: about half of the internet experts say the body lines are exactly the same, other than the wheel opening, the other half of the internet experts say they are NOT quite the same, and there may be some mismatch. My bed could be patched, but it has significant rust around the openings and the rear corners. so there is quite a bit of work involved in it. Bullnose beds around here are either vaporware, or in just as bad of shape as mine, so looking for another angle. Thanks.

I replaced my 1986 bed with a later model one, primary reason being lack of available 1985/86 Dually beds but plenty of 1987-97 ones, body lines didn't seem too different, in fact the 1986 fenders fit perfectly, but the wheel arch opening is different. Taillights are close, but a little different and the later ones are brighter.

NOTE: 1985 up the rear track width on the Dually changed, inner rear wheel is at the same track width as a single rear wheel truck, allowing a full width bed inside dimensions matching a single rear wheel, but it makes the truck wider overall.

The filler necks are different....

You will get the 'upgraded' -fill through the center- fillers, but you need to take the Bullnose vent retainer collars out of the neck of the fuel tanks.

I suppose you could just smash them flat if you have a pair of Big Azz Channelocks.

(Yes, that's the ACTUAL model!)

The inner (fill) hose has to hang.

It will hang up on that ring if you don't do something

The bed lines match.

The tailgate can be swapped.

The taillights are different, but the opening and mounting is the same.

So, it's up to you if you want better backup lights and a smooth corner use the Bricknose taillights.

If you want it more Bullnose, use the '80-'86 taillight housings.

The filler necks are different....

You will get the 'upgraded' -fill through the center- fillers, but you need to take the Bullnose vent retainer collars out of the neck of the fuel tanks.

I suppose you could just smash them flat if you have a pair of Big Azz Channelocks.

(Yes, that's the ACTUAL model!)

The inner (fill) hose has to hang.

It will hang up on that ring if you don't do something

I have that pr. when I saw the name on the pkg, they had me!

I like my Kinpex better, but I haven't seen a pair this big.

Plenty of leverage, no chance of spark....💡

when I was doing hvac service I had as many as ten different sizes of Channellock's from 6" to the big azz. we referred to them by their model numbers mostly. the 420s fit my hand so naturally that I used them more than any other. other than the lost or stollen I have them still.

The bed lines match.

The tailgate can be swapped.

The taillights are different, but the opening and mounting is the same.

So, it's up to you if you want better backup lights and a smooth corner use the Bricknose taillights.

If you want it more Bullnose, use the '80-'86 taillight housings.

Jim, I believe I found that the tailgates physically will fit, but the hardware (hinges and latches) are different. I think I remember the 1986 tailgate latches were the plunger style where the 1987 up are the same as the safety door latch Ford introduced in 1963.

You might be able to make it work, I didn't bother with Darth's original tailgate as I used an open grille 5th wheel specific tailgate at that time. I was able to score a nice XLT tailgate later.

Jim, I believe I found that the tailgates physically will fit, but the hardware (hinges and latches) are different. I think I remember the 1986 tailgate latches were the plunger style where the 1987 up are the same as the safety door latch Ford introduced in 1963.

You might be able to make it work, I didn't bother with Darth's original tailgate as I used an open grille 5th wheel specific tailgate at that time. I was able to score a nice XLT tailgate later.

Early bull knows have hinges, instead of calling.

The bricknose trucks have a pin, a post like a door striker...

The latches can be made to work.

when I was doing hvac service I had as many as ten different sizes of Channellock's from 6" to the big azz. we referred to them by their model numbers mostly. the 420s fit my hand so naturally that I used them more than any other. other than the lost or stollen I have them still.

I carry the little ones with the offset jaws that fit nuts in the right side pocket of my dickies carpenter jeans, along with a utility knife...