Bullnose Forums

1986 Ford F250 302 EFI to Carburetor Delete 2

Phillip G.

well, there may be an added confusion here. the 85/86 4.9 and 5.8 sending unit has a large plate for the large opening tank and it has a single draw fuel fitting. on the 460, there was offered a "hot fuel" circuit with a continuous fuel return. I'm not certain of the years. this was used with an in-tank low pressure pump/sending unit. this is possibly the best example of how to do a carb setup. I'm certain that you can find info on this here in the doc/info.

Mat, the hot fuel handling package was on 460 powered trucks with AC and predominately ones sold in the South. It was introduced not long after the 460 returned in 1983.

The actual pumps are centrifugal rather than gear or vane style and have a very low pressure, 5-7 psi. The are fed 12V during cranking, and then through a resistance wire once running.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, there may be an added confusion here. the 85/86 4.9 and 5.8 sending unit has a large plate for the large opening tank and it has a single draw fuel fitting. on the 460, there was offered a "hot fuel" circuit with a continuous fuel return. I'm not certain of the years. this was used with an in-tank low pressure pump/sending unit. this is possibly the best example of how to do a carb setup. I'm certain that you can find info on this here in the doc/info.

My 460 has a mechanical pump WITH RETURN.

The sending unit is 3/8 feed and 5/16 return....

My 460 has a mechanical pump WITH RETURN.

The sending unit is 3/8 feed and 5/16 return....

soooo many versions. no wonder there are so many questions. I'm still waiting on parts for the 460 that I'm building and being a mixed batch of parts I'm sure I will be having many more questions myself. at least I can get the block painted and parts cleaned and lined up for assembly. this 460 has the mechanical option with a fuel pump block off plate and in-tank pumps. it's like working on a puzzle with three different boxes spilled together.

soooo many versions. no wonder there are so many questions. I'm still waiting on parts for the 460 that I'm building and being a mixed batch of parts I'm sure I will be having many more questions myself. at least I can get the block painted and parts cleaned and lined up for assembly. this 460 has the mechanical option with a fuel pump block off plate and in-tank pumps. it's like working on a puzzle with three different boxes spilled together.

There were three different versions of Hot Fuel Handling, that I know of.

It all depends on which switch you have, and how the relays and valve were wired.

It's okay Mat. I take what each of you say and come up with the best options based on everyone's knowledge and my own knowledge.

It's okay Mat. I take what each of you say and come up with the best options based on everyone's knowledge and my own knowledge.

I certainly didn't mean to be critical, either.:nabble_smiley_blush:

Matt brings decades of experience to this forum.

Very few forums have anything but "cool kids" fishing for page views and likes

I certainly didn't mean to be critical, either.:nabble_smiley_blush:

Matt brings decades of experience to this forum.

Very few forums have anything but "cool kids" fishing for page views and likes

No sir, I didn't think that at all. I just didn't want Matt thinking he misdirected me. All these year model changes and variations are hard to remember. I know that from dealing with '67 - '72 trucks for so many years. And the older I get, the harder it becomes. Lol

No sir, I didn't think that at all. I just didn't want Matt thinking he misdirected me. All these year model changes and variations are hard to remember. I know that from dealing with '67 - '72 trucks for so many years. And the older I get, the harder it becomes. Lol

I think the only "sir" here may be Gary! 😄

There sure are a lot of variations and nuances.

That's what's so great about having all the documentation (and even with that, we find anomalies and omissions everyday!)

That's what's so great about having all the documentation (and even with that, we find anomalies and omissions everyday!)

Wait! Just because I'm OLD and have lived in the UK doesn't mean I've been knighted. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But you are right that we find issues with the Ford documentation frequently. It is the best we have, but it certainly isn't perfect.

Wait! Just because I'm OLD and have lived in the UK doesn't mean I've been knighted. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But you are right that we find issues with the Ford documentation frequently. It is the best we have, but it certainly isn't perfect.

on many trucks that I see I catch myself saying "what is that doing there?" a new option? by the time a truck gets nearly 45 years old there are many times it has had to be "fixed" roadside, improved or otherwise.