Bullnose Forums

1986 Ford F250 302 EFI to Carburetor Delete 2

Phillip G.

Hey fellas! I decided to make a part 2 because part 1 has 55 replies thanks to everyone. I've decided to cut all the vacuum & ECM wiring out and just rewire and plumb what's needed for a carbureted engine. I've also decided to go with a pre-electronic ignition setup. I've installed Ekhlin points & condenser in addition to an internally resisted Ekhlin IC-14 ignition coil that measures out at 3.5 ohms so that all should be fine.

At Gary & Jim. after I cut out all the ECM wiring and rewired some of the mess the former owner had, the fuel gauge started working. He had that all wrong per my schematics. I believe for now, I'll just use the electric pumps with a pressure regulator until they fail. Then I'll install an eccentric fuel pump. Question, can you buy just a tank sending unit for these single tank trucks?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you can buy a sender.

The issue with '86 is that it has a big bung, so you have to get one for a 351HO/460 that had the mechanical fuel pump.

JBG seems to have them for a decent price.

one for a 4.9 will work also. that makes it quite common.

one for a 4.9 will work also. that makes it quite common.

Does the 4.9 have a return, or do they get a 3 port valve and just a pickup, deadheaded again the float valve?

I thought by '86 (big bung) the 4.9 had an in-tank pump.:nabble_anim_confused:.

Does the 4.9 have a return, or do they get a 3 port valve and just a pickup, deadheaded again the float valve?

I thought by '86 (big bung) the 4.9 had an in-tank pump.:nabble_anim_confused:.

there is not a return. the 85/86 has the big opening to be efi 5.0 compatible with the in-tank pump but the 4.9 did not go efi til 87 so 85/86 got the 84 sender in the large plate. single port.

Sure you can buy a sender.

The issue with '86 is that it has a big bung, so you have to get one for a 351HO/460 that had the mechanical fuel pump.

JBG seems to have them for a decent price.

Jim & Mat, I did think I may have to get one for a different engine as I've done that a lot over the years. So, either 351, 400, or 300 for an '86 will all work it sounds like.

Mat, Im missing something here i think. If the 300 in tank sender doesn't have a fuel return port how does that work?

Jim & Mat, I did think I may have to get one for a different engine as I've done that a lot over the years. So, either 351, 400, or 300 for an '86 will all work it sounds like.

Mat, Im missing something here i think. If the 300 in tank sender doesn't have a fuel return port how does that work?

400 went out in '83, so it has the small bung, and won't fit.

If you have a single line (no return) use the 300/4.9 sender.

400 went out in '83, so it has the small bung, and won't fit.

If you have a single line (no return) use the 300/4.9 sender.

Yes, I meant to say 460. Mine has duel lines so I'll need to go with the '86 351/460 sender.

This was the distinction I was trying to make, but Mat said I was wrong. 🤷‍♂️

well, there may be an added confusion here. the 85/86 4.9 and 5.8 sending unit has a large plate for the large opening tank and it has a single draw fuel fitting. on the 460, there was offered a "hot fuel" circuit with a continuous fuel return. I'm not certain of the years. this was used with an in-tank low pressure pump/sending unit. this is possibly the best example of how to do a carb setup. I'm certain that you can find info on this here in the doc/info.