Gas gauge adjustment

Raywilson

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, fluorescent red or orange? That's a great site! Paint is the way to go...

Last year, I changed all the instruments gauges for NOS units.

Well, almost all of them, since the only one I was unable to find NOS was the tach.

So, I had to paint its washed out pale needle to match the «new» original color.

I had on hand a Rustoleum Marking orange spray paint.

I tested it on another old unit (with a thin paint brush) and it matched perfectly.

IMG_9873.jpeg.cdbf09f4ba96dbdb01f1e5c0e08548d6.jpeg

At that price I would buy both and see which is better. Also try the combination of both mixed maybe ?

At that price I would buy both and see which is better. Also try the combination of both mixed maybe ?

The reviewers at Hipo Parts said they used the red, so that's what I did. Thanks for all your comments and advise! This is a great site!

Ray

Diodes are -of course, by definition - polarized.

Some bulbs have a rectifier bridge built in....

I had guessed they had some sophistication to sense polarity and work, just not the LEDs by itself. Looks like they are SMD (surface mount LEDs) so the SMD package has the ability to surface mount other components along with the LEDs. Pretty cool.

At $9 a pop though they are on the expensive side. An entire dash would be approaching $100. Not sure I have the stomach for that knowing I can test the polarity and install them myself.

This below here is what I think I would go for

https://www.hipoparts.com/ultra-bright-1-smd-3-led-bulb-194-t-10-wedge-super-wide-angle/

Well, almost all of them, since the only one I was unable to find NOS was the tach.

So, I had to paint its washed out pale needle to match the «new» original color.

I tested it on another old unit (with a thin paint brush) and it matched perfectly.

Did you spray directly on the needle or use a brush to apply ? The Tach is a pretty stout gauge so I assume you masked all the areas of the gauge except the needle ?

When I'm painting the needles, I'm always afraid I'm going to break one of them as they are so feeble

That's marking paint.

It isn't meant to fluoresce

I had guessed they had some sophistication to sense polarity and work, just not the LEDs by itself. Looks like they are SMD (surface mount LEDs) so the SMD package has the ability to surface mount other components along with the LEDs. Pretty cool.

At $9 a pop though they are on the expensive side. An entire dash would be approaching $100. Not sure I have the stomach for that knowing I can test the polarity and install them myself.

This below here is what I think I would go for

https://www.hipoparts.com/ultra-bright-1-smd-3-led-bulb-194-t-10-wedge-super-wide-angle/

The Sylvania Evo (Ego?) bulbs are pretty good as far as no polarized and ability to dim.

I have some of them too.