Bullnose Forums

Gas gauge adjustment

Raywilson

81 F150 Ranger

I recently installed a new dash gauge setup w a tach n tip meter, which the other set of gauges didn't have.

Having a trip meter is so awesome! My old gauge orange needles are really faded, new ones are bright orange. Well, the new gas gauge reads full up to 125mi into a tank of gas before it moves, the old gauge reads pretty accurately for both tanks. So I put the old gauge into the new cluster and it looks bad because of the fading. Is it possible to swap needles between the 2 gauges? I'm so ham fisted, I'm afraid I'd do my usual and make both inoperable. I saw a video where the guy adjusts the needle through the hole on the back side. Is that doable? You can see the adjustment teeth in one of the holes...

Ray

IMG_20240305_164953.jpg.3885728cda3dbbd3315ec5b6ff7c6ad5.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That might be the simplest solution. Does it match the original or did you paint all the needles? I've got the LED bulbs too. They really look good!

That might be the simplest solution. Does it match the original or did you paint all the needles? I've got the LED bulbs too. They really look good!

Thanks! Yeah I painted all of them and the color is a close match if not spot on. If you go this route, make sure the little bottle is shaken and stirred well. And use very little on the tiny brush. It goes a long way. You don't want to drip the paint on the gauge for sure. I did 2 coats. And make sure its fluorescent paint.

On the LED bulbs, they have polarity so you have to install them in the correct direction. Else they won't work.

On the LED bulbs, they have polarity so you have to install them in the correct direction. Else they won't work.

I found that out. Annoying to have to pull the dash out again to reorient the bulbs but they look so good. Don't dim very well

I found that out. Annoying to have to pull the dash out again to reorient the bulbs but they look so good. Don't dim very well

I have been there as well and pulled the cluster again to fix them. What I do now is use a spare battery, with a resistor and inline fuse in series (just extra protection) with the led bulbs to mark out the positive and negative terminals so I know which way to install.

I find them never bright enough. I have not wanted to dim them

Not all of them are polarity sensitive, and many of them DO dim💡

We like hi-po parts for both the needle paint and the LEDs...

Vendor ratings and reviews in the marketplace section....

They also have all the shop manuals available on CD, if you want a physical copy

Not all of them are polarity sensitive, and many of them DO dim💡

We like hi-po parts for both the needle paint and the LEDs...

Vendor ratings and reviews in the marketplace section....

They also have all the shop manuals available on CD, if you want a physical copy

I just assumed they were all polarity sensitive, as they are a transistor fundamentally. Looks like I need to go back to school :nabble_smiley_blush:

Is it this one ?

https://www.hipoparts.com/fluorescent-speedo-gauge-needle-restoration-paint/