Bullnose Forums

4x4 shifter handle dimensions

I do a lot of woodworking, and my wife is just learning to do leatherwork. She likes doing custom car stuff, but only small things at a time. I was thinking about doing a small project together of something with polished burl wood and some of this new leather she got that looks really good. It's just in the idea stage for now, but I'll be sure to post it if/when it happens!

She should stitch you a steering wheel cover.

Wet mold and a baseball stich.

It'll be nice when it dries and tightens up. 😉

That would be badass!

I did a lot of leather work as a tween.

There was a shop in town "Bags to Britches"

It stems from horseback riding..

I really like foxhunting, but I took great pride in my tack being in fine fettle.

I still have a bunch of stuff....

IMG_20240306_165008_631.jpg.6532eb69041381565f81b3f458df37f8.jpg

I did a lot of leather work as a tween.

There was a shop in town "Bags to Britches"

It stems from horseback riding..

I really like foxhunting, but I took great pride in my tack being in fine fettle.

I still have a bunch of stuff....

That's really cool! Her family used to have horses as well, so maybe that's where the interest comes from.

We have a big leather store in town where you can get half hides for $25 if they have a "blemish" on them. Some of them are not even noticeable, or might just be something cool like a branding mark. I'm hoping we get more into it and can make some really pro stuff some day.

That's really cool! Her family used to have horses as well, so maybe that's where the interest comes from.

We have a big leather store in town where you can get half hides for $25 if they have a "blemish" on them. Some of them are not even noticeable, or might just be something cool like a branding mark. I'm hoping we get more into it and can make some really pro stuff some day.

Where's "town" (sorry I don't remember every member's data)

Damn, that's a great deal!

What kind of hides? Veg tan? Oil? Chrome?

Weights???

I worked mostly with harness leather, so a lot of 8-10 oz horsehide, but that russet bag you see with a bunch of other tools in it is 5-6 garment leather.

And you can see the shoe anvil and farriers hammer so obviously I'm a bit of a cobbler too...

Not sure if this is helpful but I had the same exact setup on my 85 F250 HD truck “Big Red” and I tried to find a knob that worked for a long time. Got tired of searching. Found an old piece of walnut that I turned myself an handle out of. I just drilled a hole in the knob close to the spline diameter and hammered it on there.

That's very nice. Walnut is my favorite wood. I have a 4" x 4" chunk of it but don't know what to do with it. And ain't got no lathe, neither.

Where's "town" (sorry I don't remember every member's data)

Damn, that's a great deal!

What kind of hides? Veg tan? Oil? Chrome?

Weights???

I worked mostly with harness leather, so a lot of 8-10 oz horsehide, but that russet bag you see with a bunch of other tools in it is 5-6 garment leather.

And you can see the shoe anvil and farriers hammer so obviously I'm a bit of a cobbler too...

Springfield, MO

Not sure of the "specs" of the stuff we got, but the store has all different kinds laid out. I don't really know too much about it. The one we got is about 1/8" thick.

That's very nice. Walnut is my favorite wood. I have a 4" x 4" chunk of it but don't know what to do with it. And ain't got no lathe, neither.

Thanks! I love walnut too... we have 1000+ Board feet of walnut that my father-in-law milled in the 80s when he cut a couple of giant trees in the property that were damaged in a storm (?). We haven't used any of it much. We made a few furniture pieces for my kids. I started as a woodworker before I got much into trucks.

The lathe I have is a 1987 Craftsman NOS. I literally unboxed it. It was a crazy lucky buy from a Yard sale hoarder that stored it for 25 years in the attic :nabble_smiley_happy: Haven't used it much except random things like this.